Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

MCC hit back.

Campaign against Eastlands arena ‘misleading’

16 Jul 2019, 11:54

Jessica Middleton-Pugh

Manchester City Council has called a campaign against the Eastlands regeneration framework by Manchester Arena operator SMG “very misleading”, while facing resistance from a mass of city centre businesses including The Printworks, Arndale, Corn Exchange and Harvey Nichols.

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/campaign-against-eastlands-arena-misleading/
Found this bit interesting but hard to believe it's true.

“There is nothing in the Framework to suggest the Council has carried out any independent market, environmental or traffic impact assessments before seeking to include this proposal in a document which will be a material consideration in planning applications – which if correct, is extraordinary.”

I was told it was to do with the fact the club won’t build it unless we can prove we can sell all the tickets. They are going to monitor ticket sales this season before making any decision.
What are they expecting to see different to previous seasons? Surely the decision should be based on the trend over a number of years, and the problem with that is the big games sell out so all they're going to see is what is happening with the smaller games and the speed of how tickets sell. I'm not disputing what you've heard/know, but it doesn't make much sense to me. The stat we all know, anyway, is we went from 35k to 48k to 55k and we're still selling out.

What are they expecting to see different to previous seasons? Surely the decision should be based on the trend over a number of years, and the problem with that is the big games sell out so all they're going to see is what is happening with the smaller games and the speed of how tickets sell. I'm not disputing what you've heard/know, but it doesn't make much sense to me. The stat we all know, anyway, is we went from 35k to 48k to 55k and we're still selling out.

Agreed does not make sense to me either. Just what I and a few others was told at the weekend.

Heard at the weekend that the North Stand development is on hold. Club want to be assured that we can fill it and will monitor attendances next season.

It’s disappointing if true as Khaldoon was only a month and a half ago talking about it being in the works during his end of season interview.

Like many fans, I would like to see the ground expanded. The club have known for sometime that we could sell many more tickets for a number of fixtures at the Etihad. However, they have also known for sometime, that other fixtures would be less likely, if at all, to sell out an expanded stadium. The South Stand expansion will have given them a view on cost. I'm sure they will have invested significant funds,time and people since the original stadium expansion plans were released, to move forward on this, but as of yet they have not and if this newest information is correct, then it's unlikely to start in the near term.

I posted after Khaldoons Part 2 interview that I thought his response to a question on the North Stand expansion, was somewhat strange, compared to his other responses. I felt then that any expansion plans were not imminent. It was like, theres a long thread on BM so it needs to be addressed. I'll say theres lots of people working on it, theres lots of planning stuff and because I know fans love safe standing , i'll change the conversation to that too. It's not often you hear Khaldoon having to include "you know" into one of his slick responses, changing the subject and rubbing his nose in quick succession. Likely he is as frustrated as many of us that phase 2 of stadium expansion, that they announced, has not started yet.

If other projects currently have higher priority , well I'm sure there are good reasons for that. He doesnt need to share them with me.

It's fantastic that they continue to invest in the club to nurture its development, if NS expansion delayed, its not the end of the world

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.