Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

But it is booming in areas such as tech; I would argue the jobs market should have a larger impact on transport and infrastructure rather than retail. Of course it's never as simple as that, for example an increase in people living and working on the edge of the centre you would expect less need for radical transport changes but it should also impact retail footfall positively.
And yet retail is still falling faster than the rest of the country despite the increase in the number of City centre residents which tells you something significant is going on. If people choose to live in the City centre its because they are time conscious, therefore these people don't spend hours Christmas shopping on Market St when it can be done in 15 minutes online on the 21st December.

The roads despite shift from cars to bus and cycle lanes are still empty of cars. There is possibly a link. My Mum and Dad used to occasionally drive into Manchester for the odd item. They'd never do it now partly because it's just awkward to drive into Manchester and park.

And yet retail is still falling faster than the rest of the country despite the increase in the number of City centre residents which tells you something significant is going on. If people choose to live in the City centre its because they are time conscious, therefore these people don't spend hours Christmas shopping on Market St when it can be done in 15 minutes online on the 21st December.

The roads despite shift from cars to bus and cycle lanes are still empty of cars. There is possibly a link. My Mum and Dad used to occasionally drive into Manchester for the odd item. They'd never do it now partly because it's just awkward to drive into Manchester and park.

Good comments. Retail in Manchester is dieing. I would not dream of going shopping in Manchester and have not done for years. When I need something I nip in John Lewis. The arndale makes me want to cry it is that bad. The retail in Leeds is much better.

cant disagree with any of that

The extension of the tram to the TC in (possibly) April will be interesting to see the effects of:

Will it drag more urban shoppers from Manchester centre shopping?
Will it become a destination for Manchester centre dwellers?
Will it reduce the road traffic to TC?
Will it increase the footfall at TC or just sustain the current level?

it would be nice to get a southern and eastern Manchester ring of the Tram network sorted next - a loop through Stockport and onto Denton area/SportCity, with a spoke out from the city centre past MRI and onto Stockport.

The extension of the tram to the TC in (possibly) April will be our interesting to see the effects of:
Will it drag more urban shoppers from Manchester centre shopping?
Will it become a destination for Manchester centre dwellers?
Will it reduce the road traffic to TC?
Will it increase the footfall at TC or just sustain the current level?

it would be nice to get a southern and eastern Manchester ring of the Tram network sorted next - a loop through Stockport and onto Denton area/SportCity, with a spoke out from the city centre past MRI and onto Stockport.

There is already an express bus service (every 10 mins I think) between Piccadilly and the Trafford Centre (X150) so I’m not sure it will make a big difference.

Good comments. Retail in Manchester is dieing. I would not dream of going shopping in Manchester and have not done for years. When I need something I nip in John Lewis. The arndale makes me want to cry it is that bad. The retail in Leeds is much better.

I’m not sure that everyone is aware of the relative newer shopping areas in Manchester, including the rows off Deansgate where Armani is.

Had a trip down memory lane yesterday by popping into Kendalls

I’m not sure that everyone is aware of the relative newer shopping areas in Manchester, including the rows off Deansgate where Armani is.

Had a trip down memory lane yesterday by popping into Kendalls

Spinningfileds. Yes struggled a fair bit with retail itself. What was Kendall’s like?

Spinningfileds. Yes struggled a fair bit with retail itself. What was Kendall’s like?

It was pretty quiet mate. The layout in the basement was pretty much how it has always been. There were a few rails advertising sales items of under £50. Probably a sign of the times. That said I wouldn’t spend £50 on a jumper or a pair of jeans these days.

It was pretty quiet mate. The layout in the basement was pretty much how it has always been. There were a few rails advertising sales items of under £50. Probably a sign of the times. That said I wouldn’t spend £50 on a jumper or a pair of jeans these days.

It’s a shame I used to love kendals.

It’s a shame I used to love kendals.

Me too. Used to get my clobber for Oldham away lol. I would be in the queue for the ground thinking I was the tops with my failing Pringle on in sub zero temperatures. I could only afford the Shetland wool one lol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.