Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Not claiming to be in the know with the NS expansion, but I do think we are delaying it until more is heard about safe-standing, and maybe to see how Spurs new stadium performs economically.

I hear a lot these days about firms wanting to "future-proof", which basically means they don't want to spend millions on something that could be out-of-date, or not fit for purpose, in 5/10 years time. The North Stand is probably our last opportunity to do something different with the stadium that would allow it to be reconfigured, create a home-end, maybe have a micro-brewery or whatever if it proves a success at Spurs.

If we just threw up another carbon copy of the South Stand, which looks like was the original plan, we'd lose this opportunity. I do think we will eventually carry out some work on the East and Bell Stands, but only to "fill in the corners" and possibly to have a new facade that creates a bit more internal space.

So although like everyone else I'm impatient for the NS to be done, it will get done and hopefully will be worth the wait. It wouldn't surprise me if it would incorporate safe-standing, a new larger store, museum, "pub" etc. It's our last chance to do something really iconic with the stadium, which is why I think we're taking our time with it.

I don't think it is this mate.

The money from our owner is not as fast or loose as it once was. The feeling is City are now at the stage where they don't need to throw £200m plus a year at us.

I know the money invested in NYCFC has been reduced to a trickle.

There is also the wider geo-political landscape, there is no way the urgency is required for an expansion if the Emirates is trying to think two steps ahead, worst-case scenario.

We could easily have used our own money for the concert arena, but instead our owner sold a stake in City for £600m. It's all about the returns these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if there would be a new stadium built before a North Stand extension.

I don't think it is this mate.

The money from our owner is not as fast or loose as it once was. The feeling is City are now at the stage where they don't need to throw £200m plus a year at us.

I know the money invested in NYCFC has been reduced to a trickle.

There is also the wider geo-political landscape, there is no way the urgency is required for an expansion if the Emirates is trying to think two steps ahead, worst-case scenario.

We could easily have used our own money for the concert arena, but instead our owner sold a stake in City for £600m. It's all about the returns these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if there would be a new stadium built before a North Stand extension.

I dont know what youd even need to invest in NYCFC with the financial rules in MLS you cant really invest in the squad and the wait for the stadium means infrastructure is all on hold.

49k at Spurs last night. 12k empty seats.

Guess they shouldn’t have built the new stadium due to a lack of demand...

or

Some games just aren’t as popular and there’s no need to panic about it. Granted, Spurs wouldn’t ever get the shit we do in these circumstances and their dark seats don’t stand out quite as much as our bright blues ones, but it just goes to show you don’t have to sell out every game in a 60k+ stadium in order to justify it.

Only ****s count seats!

I dont know what youd even need to invest in NYCFC with the financial rules in MLS you cant really invest in the squad and the wait for the stadium means infrastructure is all on hold.

It had a lot of start-up costs involved and the mandate no more big salaries outside of the cap. Villa, Pirlo, Lamps.

It also carries a huge outlay still on admin and staff. Even one of our PR guys has moved to New York, it's still a big expense - just not as much.

Money has been diverted to India. We have a delegation going out this month.

The frustrating thing is watching other clubs steal a march on us with their stadiums. We need far bigger concourses and better facilities which could be achieved by expanding the East and Colin Bell stands first. This isn't depending on safe standing etc. Once these are done we'd know where we stand (no pun intended) with regards to the North Stand.

49k at Spurs last night. 12k empty seats.

Guess they shouldn’t have built the new stadium due to a lack of demand...

or

Some games just aren’t as popular and there’s no need to panic about it. Granted, Spurs wouldn’t ever get the shit we do in these circumstances and their dark seats don’t stand out quite as much as our bright blues ones, but it just goes to show you don’t have to sell out every game in a 60k+ stadium in order to justify it.
Definitely the second one.

Barça average 30+k empty seats and didn’t even sell out for the last El Classico yet are expanding to 120k.

Spoke to someone at MCC this week - no news on stadium expansion. The club are still having to give tickets away for lesser games and especially midweeks. Idea is to do Arena and Hotel first and then stand later.

I assume the planning permission that was originally granted for potential North Stand extension at the same time as for the South Stand has long since expired?

As there appears to be no move by the club to present either the same plans or modified ones for approval then it’s probably safe to say that it won’t be happening for the foreseeable future.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.