Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I thought this arena had nothing to do with city, Abu Dhabi ir city football group ? I’m so confused, what’s silverlake got to do with it
Silver Lake are the US investment firm who bought 10% of the CFG, they're also backing Oakview who are building and managing it. City (and the Council, 20% I think?) own the land they're building on.

It looks like our City owners have held fire regarding the expansion of the Etihad pending the FFP outcome that may affect other plans for development.

If found in our favour we can expect an explosion of development around the ground. There is a basic need for better access.
Infrastructure spend is excluded from the FFP breakeven calculation. I think the days of Sheikh Mansour pumping money into the City venture are over now and it's more about getting a return on investment.

There’s plenty of room to build a station at the bottom of the car park where Miles Platting station was until 1995. This would be closer and have the benefit of being able to link to more lines whereas Philips Park would only be East or West.
Miles Platting station was / is on Oldham Rd and Queens Rd, not at the bottom of the car park

Can anyone think of a location where an arena is located next to a 50K football stadium in a suburban situation?

The one that occurs to me is Hamburg where the football ground is right next to the Colorline Arena (or whatever they call it now). Their arena is smaller though than the one planned for East Manchester..

The difference is that Hamburg's arena is served by a heavy rail line and also two S-Bahn lines so it works fairly well from what I understand. I went to an event at the Arena some years ago but it wasn't during the football season. They must be used to clashes though because they use it for ice hockey (or they did)
Wembley . But the transport connections are 10 times better than what we have with the Etihad.

The gas holder and surrounding land are going to be decommissioned and sold, if im a betting man id say city will but the land along with the council and pun in a new station. The train line literally runs next to it. Looks at its proximity to the new arena.

5YYjpp6

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/iconic-gas-holders-near-etihad-17313845
But that line is a frieght line and a loop for a Picc - Vic / north - south connection. It cant just become a passenger line on days when an event is on with just one stop.

Infrastructure spend is excluded from the FFP breakeven calculation. I think the days of Sheikh Mansour pumping money into the City venture are over now and it's more about getting a return on investment.
He hasnt done for the last 5 years.

But that line is a frieght line and a loop for a Picc - Vic / north - south connection. It cant just become a passenger line on days when an event is on with just one stop.

In order of increasing unlikeihood, here are a few ideas as to how this could possibly work:

1) Some people have suggested that some passenger services from the east be diverted down this chord towards Victoria to relieve congestion along the Castlefield corridor. If that happened there might be a case for a station.

2) There is also growing capacity problems at Victoria. At the moment trains coming in from the north and west contribute to congestion at Victoria (the guard has to make sure there's no-one still on the empty train before it pulls out). One solution to this could be to run trains to a terminal station at Eastlands as this would decrease dwell time at Victoria.

3) An even more radical idea would be to reinstate the missing viaduct at the Ancoats junction. This would enable trains originating from the direction of Stalybridge or even Rochdale to terminate at Piccadilly platforms 1-4, and again could provide a source of train services to a new station along the Phillips/Ashbury's chord.

I accept that these are major investments and are very unlikely to ever happen, but it is interesting to speculate...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.