Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

The original designs made public for the North Stand were for a copy of the South Stand.

images

images

However, when the fan survey was done in late 2018 the fans who attended an engagement session were shown a design which featured an expanded 2nd tier. This later design also seemed to appear on the fan survey.

FDD7B658-F147-4F62-B185-935B1D52A08A.jpeg

There were also several fan mock ups of this 2nd tier expansion.

3FAAA78F-3988-477A-8AFF-101A706FB02C.jpeg
41DC39F9-4FC8-4462-9E25-AB756A2F324D.png
9591DD99-0B62-4467-B0E8-B03AE19D8E86.jpeg

Obviously a single tier would be the most ideal solution but an expanded 2nd tier would allow the club to keep the current stand open for the whole season as they built behind it like they did with the South Stand. Have to say if they went with just a copy of the South Stand then that would be really disappointing.

I don’t think this has been posted yet? Could wrong as the thread has been going years.

More info via the link.

Creating the Etihad Model

This model was commissioned in March 2016 and completed in early February 2018. It took an estimated 2000 man hours to research and build during this period. The client and I had met previously and over the course of this commission become good friends.

In 2015 the Etihad stadium had just been expanded, adding a third level to the south stand, taking the capacity from 47,400 to 55,097. The brief for this commission after much consultation was to look to the future and incorporate the addition of the proposed third level to the north stand as well, taking the capacity to 61,000. So this model would be a glimpse into the stadiums future.

01-D935-DA-48-B7-45-F7-86-A8-D2-E1-B368-E004.jpg

19-D92-D7-D-446-F-4-A1-E-AC2-F-A08485-DA6-C14.jpg

3-D2-D5884-C717-4-A90-AABE-310122-B2-EAC2.jpg

5932-A1-D8-532-C-478-F-BC80-078-A6-CCD15-CE.jpg

5-FFEA7-F3-8210-47-FC-ABD9-CBD03-F4-F265-A.jpg

80-C3-F15-C-68-C1-4442-9-D13-2000-E2-E83-E03.jpg

FA855027-89-F5-4-F8-F-8211-9-A693386800-A.jpg

The original designs made public for the North Stand were for a copy of the South Stand.

images

images

However, when the fan survey was done in late 2018 the fans who attended an engagement session were shown a design which featured an expanded 2nd tier. This later design also seemed to appear on the fan survey.

View attachment 46113

There were also several fan mock ups of this 2nd tier expansion.

View attachment 46114
View attachment 46115
View attachment 46116

Obviously a single tier would be the most ideal solution but an expanded 2nd tier would allow the club to keep the current stand open for the whole season as they built behind it like they did with the South Stand. Have to say if they went with just a copy of the South Stand then that would be really disappointing.
FWIW the expanded 2nd tier is my preferred option. As well as keeping NS Level 1 open during the expansion, we could mirror the Safe Standing of South Stand Level 1 and keep a degree of symmetry to the design (that might help with the engineering / build).

There would still be an issue with the location of family specific blocks / fans but some of the families with older kids might be happy in Level 1.

If we are reliant on a single tier stand to generate atmosphere we might as well call it a day or revert to piped in noise.

FWIW the expanded 2nd tier is my preferred option. As well as keeping NS Level 1 open during the expansion, we could mirror the Safe Standing of South Stand Level 1 and keep a degree of symmetry to the design (that might help with the engineering / build).

There would still be an issue with the location of family specific blocks / fans but some of the families with older kids might be happy in Level 1.

If we are reliant on a single tier stand to generate atmosphere we might as well call it a day or revert to piped in noise.

I agree - after Maine Road and it’s botched development the symmetry of the Etihad is a thing of beauty that we should preserve. Two tier North Stand looks fine to me - just hope we sort those bloody corners out sometime they look awful.

I agree - after Maine Road and it’s botched development the symmetry of the Etihad is a thing of beauty that we should preserve. Two tier North Stand looks fine to me - just hope we sort those bloody corners out sometime they look awful.

They were supposed to be covered up by big screens but guessing the plan is to move the North Stand screens to the South Stand when they do up the North.

The corners are very shabby and the lack of big screens also leaves the South Stand looking unfinished - it’s hard to understand why City haven’t addressed this given the amount of money invested in the South Stand.

Agree on the value of the symmetry of the stadium but think there would possibly be quite a big difference versus the South stand if they went for two versus three tiers when expanding the North Stand. I’m not an engineer by any means, but think the pitch of the terrace could be quite different in the two tier option approach and require a deeper stand. Ultimately the view could be worse than in the South Stand, but I suppose if they are flogging a lot of season tickets at 350-400 quid to watch the best team in the country then we can’t have any complaints.

The reason for the big second tier being considered a goer was said to be because of a lack of demand for another corporate offering as in the South Stand. Though I do like the big second tier solution. Better than the Millennium Stadium version
1654435269476.png

Last edited:
The reason for the big second tier being considered a goer was said to be because of a lack of demand for another corporate offering as in the South Stand. Though I do like the big second tier solution. Better than the Millennium Stadium version
View attachment 46140

That stand at the Principality stadium - is awful but it was an engineering compromise - that side of the stadium is adjacent to the Cardiff Rugby ground and there’s effectively two stands back to back… the lottery wouldn’t pay for the demolition and rebuilding of a standard for CardiffBlues so that structure had to remain and be incorporated into the new stadium… ironically it’s no thought to have concrete cancer and will need to be upgraded !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.