Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

View attachment 55906

Orange section of line would need to be restored, and not sure the state it will be in after a few decades of no maintenance, but the red bits where there would need to be new bridges and track built are the bits which will make it prohibitively expensive.
To be honest there isn't much to construct is there? But you're right it would cost a fortune still.

Not really, I just have an interest in Manchester development and the lack of investment in transport infrastructure is one of the things that frustrates me.

That's great.
As an aside I have a friend who was in charge of the development of the Trams.
He regularly told me about the meetings with City and the interaction with the council.
The problems he encountered were numerous but by far the biggest was the uncertain nature of what IS below the surface. He said the infrastructure was a complete mess, but you already know that.
The task drove him into an early retirement. He was approached by City last year to act as a consultant for them to try and improve communications.
He didn't take up the offer as the previous 10 years had taken its toll.

It will take some imagination and a few quid that's for sure.

That's great.
As an aside I have a friend who was in charge of the development of the Trams.
He regularly told me about the meetings with City and the interaction with the council.
The problems he encountered were numerous but by far the biggest was the uncertain nature of what IS below the surface. He said the infrastructure was a complete mess, but you already know that.
The task drove him into an early retirement. He was approached by City last year to act as a consultant for them to try and improve communications.
He didn't take up the offer as the previous 10 years had taken its toll.

It will take some imagination and a few quid that's for sure.
That's what we do, investigate and assess the ground for foundations, contamination and services for new developments. :-)

To be honest there isn't much to construct is there? But you're right it would cost a fortune still.
Its all relative but I would say there is quite a lot to build at the Ashton Old Road end actually. If you look on streetview, you can see where the viaduct ends at the side of the Ashton Old Road and in the distance the existing track where it needs to get to. Its not a simple job.

Its also a big assumption that the existing curve itself is fit for purpose at this point, and even the "easy" reconnection at Dainton Street/Blind Lane will require a new bridge. Bridges are not cheap.

The transport infrastructure to and from the Etihad desperately needs improving, but I dont think the cost benefit analysis of this project is remotely in its favour. We've been in the ground for almost 20 years, so I'm certain the practicalities of reintroducing this line have been discussed by now - I just don't think its economically viable.

I think they could potentially get trains to go to Ashburys and turn back onto the existing freight line (not on the Arwick curve), but they would still have to build a new station near the ground. But when you factor in queuing, I think it would still be quicker walking.

Panic buying to stock up for the closing of a few hours on Monday :)
Our local Asda have put up signs all over the place restricting you to a maximum of 3 of any one item. I don't know if that's related or just a supply issue overall. I usually shop at around 2pm on a Monday, lord knows how I'm going to manage until 5pm.

Our local Asda have put up signs all over the place restricting you to a maximum of 3 of any one item. I don't know if that's related or just a supply issue overall. I usually shop at around 2pm on a Monday, lord knows how I'm going to manage until 5pm.
It's to do with value ranges being popular due to the cost of living.

Anyway this thread has come full circle again with Asda and railway reinstatement being mentioned.

So about the log flume and the cheetah racing...

I am amazed. There used to be trolleys everywhere & people milling about but it always looks empty when we walk over the bridge - whatever time we go!!!

Always wanted an 85000 capacity stadium to go with our status.
We’ve had it before!

We didn’t always fill it, the rest of the time we had huge attendances but weren’t over 80k, had many attendances around the 40k mark, and there were a lot of Wednesday afternoon games back then (no floodlights, couldn’t play at night) so you’d only get 20k turning up for those which brought down season average attendances.

But the 85k was there whenever we needed it for the hugely attended games on a Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.