Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I am a very infrequent poster (must be best part of 10 years since I stuck my oar in) but avid reader of this forum. Thank you all so much for keeping me entertained, informed and up to date. JRB is a top bloke, as are countless other contributors.
Like many I would love to see a single tier North Stand but recognise that constraints caused by the cable net and the need to close the whole end to realise this option create viability issues.
l wonder if the reduced capacity issue could be alleviated by first extending the third tiers on one or both of the East and Colin Bell Stands prior to starting work on the North. Cable net allowing, would this in theory resolve the problem?

Tier 1 of the North stand is below ground so pretty much fixed. If the plan is to extend the North stand to incorporate more facilities that include current ones plus add ones complementary to the Arena then there is no compelling case for a symmetric bowl.

In the same way as a ship has a bow and stern, it still can be symmetric. The issue for any expansion is the development of the corners.

Personally, I see this as the issue for future expansion. My preference would be for a second tier North Stand with wrap around corporate and family stand sides. I am sure City have it all in hand.

I am a very infrequent poster (must be best part of 10 years since I stuck my oar in) but avid reader of this forum. Thank you all so much for keeping me entertained, informed and up to date. JRB is a top bloke, as are countless other contributors.
Like many I would love to see a single tier North Stand but recognise that constraints caused by the cable net and the need to close the whole end to realise this option create viability issues.
l wonder if the reduced capacity issue could be alleviated by first extending the third tiers on one or both of the East and Colin Bell Stands prior to starting work on the North. Cable net allowing, would this in theory resolve the problem?
Extending the W or E stands would require replacing the roof and the cablenet would still cause issues perhaps with sightlines. I'd be astounded if the cablenet isn't eventually removed entirely.

Extending the W or E stands would require replacing the roof and the cablenet would still cause issues perhaps with sightlines. I'd be astounded if the cablenet isn't eventually removed entirely.

Think you are right - like the south stand all stands will eventually have independent structures using cables but not requiring the central ring. That will eventually be removed but only after all four stands have a new (independently supported) roof.

Your contact probably knows better than mine (at City).

The information I posted was based on a conversation about the expansion plans. There was a passing comment of 'and the club are gonna buy the Mercedes garage too'. That was it.

The person I was speaking too wouldn't have any role in procuring the land. They work in a different department. They would have been informed about expansion plans though.
Apparently city also own the old Princes drinks site between Briscoe Lane and Oldham Road. Not sure what plans they have for it though.

Apparently city also own the old Princes drinks site between Briscoe Lane and Oldham Road. Not sure what plans they have for it though.

If that information is correct, then the site is next to the railway line, it may be that they are going to use this site to build a railway station that would service the COOP Live and stadium and the future developments at the site. No more issues with people parking their cars. Could that mean that the Collar Site is getting bigger

1666950489709.png

If that information is correct, then the site is next to the railway line, it may be that they are going to use this site to build a railway station that would service the COOP Live and stadium and the future developments at the site. No more issues with people parking their cars. Could that mean that the Collar Site is getting bigger

View attachment 59356
There was a station on the line called Park Station until 1995 just above the doughnut shaped building (A Burns, bottom right). It could potentially be re-built but it's unlikely to be any time soon due to the congestion problems with the rail network in and around Manchester. TfGM are looking at the potential of running Tram-Trains in the future and the line that runs behind the athletics stadium is one identified as a potential route and if a tram stop could be built there it would probably be sufficient. It would mean trams running east-west into Piccadilly as currently and trams running north-south Victoria to Glossop/Marple.

There was a station on the line called Park Station until 1995 just above the doughnut shaped building (A Burns, bottom right). It could potentially be re-built but it's unlikely to be any time soon due to the congestion problems with the rail network in and around Manchester. TfGM are looking at the potential of running Tram-Trains in the future and the line that runs behind the athletics stadium is one identified as a potential route and if a tram stop could be built there it would probably be sufficient. It would mean trams running east-west into Piccadilly as currently and trams running north-south Victoria to Glossop/Marple.
Also, rail infrastructure costs are eye watering. Don't see it happening tbh.

Hopefully, some decent car parking!
Some of it is being used for parking this season but it is the best part of a mile from the stadium, the site is massive though, and looks like it is being split up for different uses.

I expect as there are so many parcels to it there may be more than one owner, and seriously doubt it has anything to do with a train station at the end of Lord Street North where the line is currently raised on a bridge which has just had 6 months of work to repair it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.