Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Please watch Khaldoon's end-of-season interview, the part you want to watch is from 2. minutes 57 secs into the video until 3 minutes 18 seconds this will answer many a question of what the club wants with the North Stand

That's a review of the 18/19 season so we can't really take much of what was said there to be informative. Covid and the war in Ukraine has had a major impact on things. I would be surprised if City were too keen to invest heavily at this time, with many big businesses just holding things back for now. The talk we'll get is about atmosphere and being for the fans but the driver behind expansion is increased revenue. They will want to do it without having to close areas and to secure the quickest return on investment, which is through corporate tickets. In the most recent end of season review he mentions the Arena at the end of Part 2 and that they're thinking about what to do next. I'm sure they've got ideas but at the moment with the economy where it is - it might not be the best time to do anything major. Build costs are high and there's a real threat to the rate of return with people likely to tighten their purse strings.

I'm sure the NS is being worked up despite this. But timing-wise they'll maybe hold off until there's more certainty in the market. Haaland is a major pull at the moment but with the cost of living where it is are people going to fork out for expensive corporate tickets? If not then they can't offer cheap season tickets in the expanded areas and that might remain unsold as a result. We'll see.

All this yellow wall nonsense is complete fantasy.

Firstly there is no way they they are closing a stand as part of a rebuild when demand is at highest ever.

Secondly, a one tier stand ripping out existing Executive boxes ain’t happening.

And finally, the idea that a one tier stand will create a mythical blue wall is a load of bollocks. A large percentage sat in the stand will be those that already sit in the North stand in silence every game. The rest will be made up of new fans, tourists and a few others that also don’t make a noise at games.

The small number of our fans that make a noise at games will stay close to the away fans amongst their mates.

And anybody thinking the club is reading this thread giving them a steer on what to do with the stand is delusional.

The rebuild will be a design which makes the most money for the club. They ripped out 1500 seats last year to put in a second row of advertising which was better for revenue - if that doesn’t tell you what drives their decision making nothing will

Firstly there is no way they they are closing a stand as part of a rebuild when demand is at highest ever.

Secondly, a one tier stand ripping out existing Executive boxes ain’t happening.

And finally, the idea that a one tier stand will create a mythical blue wall is a load of bollocks. A large percentage sat in the stand will be those that already sit in the North stand in silence every game. The rest will be made up of new fans, tourists and a few others that also don’t make a noise at games.

The small number of our fans that make a noise at games will stay close to the away fans amongst their mates.

And anybody thinking the club is reading this thread giving them a steer on what to do with the stand is delusional.

The rebuild will be a design which makes the most money for the club. They ripped out 1500 seats last year to put in a second row of advertising which was better for revenue - if that doesn’t tell you what drives their decision making nothing will
As much as it’s a ba humbug post, it’s bang on!

I’m not convinced about that, especially in the short to medium term.(years) I’m 55 and I don’t see either the CBS or ES 3rd tiers expanding backwards in my lifetime. I think City will settle for 60,000-65,000 once the NS is expanded. And tbh I think that’s enough atm as Pep, if Pep extends his contract, and Haaland, will both be leaving the club in the future.
I'm in my 60's now so I hope you're wrong and I'm right :)

Everybody leaves in the end, I doubt they're basing any extension on Pep and/or Haaland being here or not, there's always a new shiny toy.

As much as it’s a ba humbug post, it’s bang on!

Not entirely. It's not a small number of fans who want to make noise and the only reason that they located next to away fans is because of the legacy of the redevelopment of Maine Road and the club simply transposing the Maine Road seating plan on to the new stadium in 2003.

Supporters at practically every other club in Britain manage with an end and that's not next to away fans and we could do the same if the club showed a clear intention to put everyone together who actually wants to provide some form of vocal support.

I don't quite believe that the club won't take a longer view at improving the atmosphere. Deep down they must know it's pretty shit and the stadium isn't great. Ultimately the lack of atmosphere loses us a selling point against other clubs that market the mythology of European nights at Anfield, Parkhead, or even the fucking Swamp.

There are people suggesting things which would evidently make the stadium more attractive to younger fans, improve the atmosphere and might make the watching City more affordable, but despite the potential benefits there are posters on here threatening to never come back if they have to give up their seat. They might have a grievance if they have to pay through the nose or the club don’t prioritise relocating them to somewhere equivalent but otherwise it’s just myopic and childish. NIMBYism at it’s worst.

I'm in my 60's now so I hope you're wrong and I'm right :)

Everybody leaves in the end, I doubt they're basing any extension on Pep and/or Haaland being here or not, there's always a new shiny toy.

By your user name I thought you were at least 100 - younger than @oakiecokie it seems - i think he's 96 next birthday

No. I was at a Supporters' Club meeting in London in January 2003 when we were addressed by David Bernstein, about six weeks before he quit as chairman and six months before we took up occupation of the stadium. He confirmed that the lease contains an option for MCFC to acquire the freehold at an option price that reduces over time because the rent we've already paid can be offset against it.

He suggested that it wouldn't make financial sense for City to exercise the option for at least twenty years, maybe considerably more. In theory, the financial landscape changed completely with the 2008 takeover, and what the club could reasonably afford was transformed.

The reason they've elected not to buy the freehold so far is because the money would go straight back to Sport England to compensate the cost of building the stadium. Rent payments go to the Council and are ringfenced for other sports facilities in the area, so the big loser if we exercised the option would be MCC. That's why we still haven't done so yet.
Exactly this So all the Manc rags who talk about council house I just say I hope you enjoy the sports facilities in Manchester that are funded by City’s rent

That's probably the most apt user name ever given the content of your post! Sadly though, you're most likely bang on with that assessment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.