Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Salary cap ruined the game as well mate as no big stars come to super league now unless they are 35-36 years old on last big pay day and any top class players we have here all get lured to the NRL for big money?
The salary cap may have saved the game as many clubs were paying unsustainable wages even with the big stars and bigger crowds.

Don't get me wrong, I hope so, rugby league is a really fun sport to watch, with deep community roots that hasn't yet been over corporatised and over priced in the same way top tier football has...but looking at the crowds at Salford (and that was pre-covid, I've not been since as my dad is still a bit wary) I'm really not sure Manchester/Salford has the appetite for it. We're one of - if not the - biggest footballing city in the world. Places like Hull, Warrington or even Leeds, where rugby league is more popular don't have that same level of competition for people's money and time.

It takes an hour just to get out of the car park, compare that with being able to get a tram to the ground. If Salford had that, then their gates would rocket.

The salary cap may have saved the game as many clubs were paying unsustainable wages even with the big stars and bigger crowds.

The salary cap restricts clubs like Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrrington while clubs like Wakefield etc refuse to invest anything at all. Some of the grounds/facilities in Super League are an utter disgrace and belong back in the 70s. The game needs to be allowed to grow but there are clubs who are holding it back.

The salary cap restricts clubs like Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrrington while clubs like Wakefield etc refuse to invest anything at all. Some of the grounds/facilities in Super League are an utter disgrace and belong back in the 70s. The game needs to be allowed to grow but there are clubs who are holding it back.

100% nail on the head mate!

What is it restricting them from, exactly? I enjoy watching both codes but RL was on a hiding to nothing once Union became officially professional. RL will never match the reach of Union in England, nor will it be able to get the same level of commercial or TV income. Facing those realities means that a salary cap is just another reality. Even Union thinks its Premiership needs a salary cap, despite Saracens best efforts!

What is it restricting them from, exactly? I enjoy watching both codes but RL was on a hiding to nothing once Union became officially professional. RL will never match the reach of Union in England, nor will it be able to get the same level of commercial or TV income. Facing those realities means that a salary cap is just another reality. Even Union thinks its Premiership needs a salary cap, despite Saracens best efforts!

It's restricting owners from investing their own money into the clubs / attracting the best players in the world (sounds familiar?!). We have very, very wealthy owners in rugby league who would revolutionise the game if they were allowed to do so, but sadly they're not and it's dying a slow death,

The standard of rugby league has nose-dived in recent years and attendances/general interest in the game has declined in line. That's due to lack of investment in infrastructure and being able to attract players from australia who bring people through the turnstiles.

A few years ago clubs were told they had to improve their grounds in order to get a licence to play in super league and were exempt from relegation for a few years in order to give them the financial security to do it. Certain clubs did absolutely nothing and these are the same clubs we're being asked to protect.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread with RL!!!

I watched Swinton a couple of times long ago. I was at Salford Tech at the time in the Daisy Bank campus in Swinton. Swinton won the RL Championship a couple of times back in the early 1960s when RL had a two division structure.

After the bizarre one league system was restored Swinton sunk until obscurity and I went to Salford or Warrington if I was watching RL.

I do find it sad to see RL sidelined by professional RU because the latter has the support of the money men from the City, largely because they went to schools where it was played.

Aside from being an awful game to watch, professional RU is more likely to cause spinal injuries and concussion problems than RL or Football or even American Football.

Still being called Swinton is generous as they’ve been nomads and not played in Swinton since leaving Station Road since early 90s.

Went to their last game at Station Road.

Funny that Swinton fans think they are a Manchester club. Their spiritual home was behind Salford Town Hall.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.