Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

any further announcements that week or just main contractor?

DiscoSteve said:
nevertheless I do think the previous poster's comment will come true in the next couple of years - otherwise that big shiny pringle will be a white elephant, can't have that now can we, especially as the the big scaffoldy lump next door is going that way

Which, I suppose, is my concern over the Manchester Velodrome upping it's game somewhat. The London velodrome has been highly praised during these games (a real joy to watch for me, and those young guns coming through are great)...I'm with you and the other poster with regard to a bit of pressure being placed on a move - I seriously hope not. Perhaps the adjoining BMX arena and Philips park plan will secure it's HQ status...but I really don't know.

EricBrooksGhost said:
Never said they hadn't ; my point is that there is likely to be political pressure to move as part of securing an Olympics legacy. Things change as do heads of organisations. I don't think Manchester can be complacent about this based upon UK Cycling's earlier statement. The improvements such as purpose built offices should help though.
The velodromes in Glasgow & London will be used for training purposes, but Manchester Velodrome is perfect. The velodrome is purpose built for training with offices unlike London, the nearby hills (for road cycling which we are now pretty good at) offer more than the flat plains of the south, Manchester is ideally situated halfway between the new velodromes in Glasgow & London where events will be competed, Manchester Velodrome has easier transport links with Piccadilly & an international airport on it's doorstep and there are plans for a new mountain bike (the only thing we aren't good at cycling wise) track on Clayton Vale.

And if it ain't broke....

ste.sully said:
EricBrooksGhost said:
Never said they hadn't ; my point is that there is likely to be political pressure to move as part of securing an Olympics legacy. Things change as do heads of organisations. I don't think Manchester can be complacent about this based upon UK Cycling's earlier statement. The improvements such as purpose built offices should help though.
The velodromes in Glasgow & London will be used for training purposes, but Manchester Velodrome is perfect. The velodrome is purpose built for training with offices unlike London, the nearby hills (for road cycling which we are now pretty good at) offer more than the flat plains of the south, Manchester is ideally situated halfway between the new velodromes in Glasgow & London where events will be competed, Manchester Velodrome has easier transport links with Piccadilly & an international airport on it's doorstep and there are plans for a new mountain bike (the only thing we aren't good at cycling wise) track on Clayton Vale.

I don't disagree but politics when involving the capital can be nasty and underhand. Oh and we are good at MTB : current downhill mens world champ is British, top of current downhill women's world cup is British as is the third and fourth placed in the mens. Not that tracks on Clayton Vale can help downhill, may be XC and 4x though

EricBrooksGhost said:
ste.sully said:
EricBrooksGhost said:

I don't disagree but politics when involving the capital can be nasty and underhand. Oh and we are good at MTB : current downhill mens world champ is British, top of current downhill women's world cup is British as is the third and fourth placed in the mens. Not that tracks on Clayton Vale can help downhill, may be XC and 4x though

We've got and have had some absolutely brilliant downhillers. Unfortunately 99% of the country have no idea who they are, or even what downhill is! You ride?

adrianr said:
EricBrooksGhost said:
ste.sully said:

We've got and have had some absolutely brilliant downhillers. Unfortunately 99% of the country have no idea who they are, or even what downhill is! You ride?

Yes most of the country only know about road and track. I ride alright but not as much as i'd like though.

I do think that the plan to entice even more sports HQ's to the area (the aforementioned 'Corridor of Sport') might perhaps secure the Manchester base (not that's there anything but conjecture regarding a switch to London). I also think that with cycling extremely popular these days it's obvious the country would require more than one velodrome.
Has anybody rode there by the way? I'd love to just turn up (sans bike) and have a few 'goes' around the track...

Swimming seems to be in a bit of bother mind you...I don't think the grey mare lane pool (although great for the area) is anywhere approaching Olympic standard. They're talking of cutting funding for swimming due to the poor performances (relatively speaking) in the games.

On another note...any grapevine whisperings on a possible 'daddy of all sponsors' for City? Might be tied into any redevelopment on the collar site, so perhaps the reason behind the hush...

End of debate

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-19178947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-19178947</a>

fbloke said:
End of debate

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-19178947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-19178947</a>
lets hope so :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.