Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

It's js1000 from SSC. Basically Jrb, from what I've heard the infrastructure folk at the club are concerned at what will be done with Holt Town. As you say it is a throwback to 1980s industrial Manchester. It will cheapen all the good work that has been done in the area over the past 20 years come 2014 when the academy opens. Anyone who walks to and from the stadium on matchdays down the Ashton Canal will understand what I mean.

I wish to stress at this stage that City aren't hugely interested in developing the Holt Town site in a drastic manner (similar to the academy) so don't get all excited - they just want Holt Town redeveloped to match the work they are doing on the other side of the stadium. It is worthwhile to remember that the Holt Town area provides some possible synergies for the club re. FFP and community.

They would much prefer a residential development of some kind, however they are open to rebuilding the area with partners and the council are very keen for progression bearing in mind the Cibita scheme is pretty much dead due to the financial crash.

Property transactions around the stadium which generate revenue do count towards FFP - however the initial cost of building them does not count towards expenditure (and of course losses). For instance, the £100m on the academy is essentially written off. The same could be done with residential properties.

A residential development could work at Holt Town. The canal could be brought back into use, the trams are now up and running, a new sixth form college and community facilities nearby as well as two supermarkets (new one on Great Ancoats St). Essentially the club just want Holt Town redeveloped to a standard that honours what they are trying to create on the other side of the stadium.

Also the gasholders will go eventually. Taken from August 2008 council report:
The consultants report is likely to state that the decommissioning of the two Gas Holders adjacent to the Sportcity site is a key priority in order to enable comprehensive development proposals to be brought forward for the site. The decommissioning of the Gas holders is a complex technical process involving regulatory, engineering and commercial considerations. The consultants’ report will be available by the end of August; it will be used as a basis for detailed discussions with Transco / National Grid Property.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
richards30 said:
It's still unreal at times how lucky we blues are! Debating over players like falcao or cavani, or the next xavi from barca, or this development?? Unreal!! There will always be the new arrogant breed unfortunately who haven't done the hard yards down the years but whatever else happens, we won the league title in fergie time! :-) couldn't love city anymore, but have just become a little prouder! Watching all the work done by CITC as well and what our owner is doing in Manchester and creating jobs........legend!!
Well said, mate.

I want to second that well said!!

Hear hear !!

Regarding Holt Town, I've noticed that some of the council style maisonettes have been boarded up already. I assume the council are trying to relocate people in that area already.

Chrisja1000 said:
Regarding Holt Town, I've noticed that some of the council style maisonettes have been boarded up already. I assume the council are trying to relocate people in that area already.
I think they've been quietly going about that for several years. They've already demolished some housing on the city centre side of the estate and loads have been variously boarded up

ste.sully said:
It's js1000 from SSC. Basically Jrb, from what I've heard the infrastructure folk at the club are concerned at what will be done with Holt Town. As you say it is a throwback to 1980s industrial Manchester. It will cheapen all the good work that has been done in the area over the past 20 years come 2014 when the academy opens. Anyone who walks to and from the stadium on matchdays down the Ashton Canal will understand what I mean.

I wish to stress at this stage that City aren't hugely interested in developing the Holt Town site in a drastic manner (similar to the academy) so don't get all excited - they just want Holt Town redeveloped to match the work they are doing on the other side of the stadium. It is worthwhile to remember that the Holt Town area provides some possible synergies for the club re. FFP and community.

They would much prefer a residential development of some kind, however they are open to rebuilding the area with partners and the council are very keen for progression bearing in mind the Cibita scheme is pretty much dead due to the financial crash.

Property transactions around the stadium which generate revenue do count towards FFP - however the initial cost of building them does not count towards expenditure (and of course losses). For instance, the £100m on the academy is essentially written off. The same could be done with residential properties.

A residential development could work at Holt Town. The canal could be brought back into use, the trams are now up and running, a new sixth form college and community facilities nearby as well as two supermarkets (new one on Great Ancoats St). Essentially the club just want Holt Town redeveloped to a standard that honours what they are trying to create on the other side of the stadium.

Also the gasholders will go eventually. Taken from August 2008 council report:
The consultants report is likely to state that the decommissioning of the two Gas Holders adjacent to the Sportcity site is a key priority in order to enable comprehensive development proposals to be brought forward for the site. The decommissioning of the Gas holders is a complex technical process involving regulatory, engineering and commercial considerations. The consultants’ report will be available by the end of August; it will be used as a basis for detailed discussions with Transco / National Grid Property.

Interesting. Cheers.

I feel that SportsCity needs an indoor arena to pull the MEN Arena from City centre and house Manchester Phoenix/Giants etc. Could be interesting

^^ Often mooted on here...and the arena hasn't had a sponsor for some time...and the land the MEN is sat upon is in the middle of a new wave of redevelopment...who knows!

@ste.stully - good post.
The Citibas Holt Town project was one of the largest developments in Europe (I didn't realise that was now officially dead in the water)...then ADUG/NEM/MCC joined forces and the area around the stadium was then put forward as the the largest redevelopment in Europe...if you add those two together, you have a healthy slice of land.

Definitely could do with family homes around there (over 4000 were put forward by the original proposals) rather than more 2 beds.

somapop said:
^^ Often mooted on here...and the arena hasn't had a sponsor for some time...and the land the MEN is sat upon is in the middle of a new wave of redevelopment...who knows!

@ste.stully - good post.
The Citibas Holt Town project was one of the largest developments in Europe (I didn't realise that was now officially dead in the water)...then ADUG/NEM/MCC joined forces and the area around the stadium was then put forward as the the largest redevelopment in Europe...if you add those two together, you have a healthy slice of land.

Definitely could do with family homes around there (over 4000 were put forward by the original proposals) rather than more 2 beds.

An Indoor Arena does sound the best way of helping make the entire site a 365 day attraction... The problem is obviously the M.E.N. currently in the City Centre, but I would suspect a deal could be done for what is surely some pretty valuable land...

Concerts, Shows, Boxing, Ice hockey, Basketball, Tennis, etc could surely make that Arena a 200 day a year attraction. This would also on its own, make any hotels/shops/restaurants become very busy. Add this to the current Ground with Football/Rugby, cycling, aquatics, training complex, and possibly another Leisure attraction and we'd be out on our own in terms of developments of Football Grounds/surrounding areas, contributing to the revenue streams... sounds good to me!!

An arena similar to the new one in Leeds would be great (bigger of course). Sound at the Manchester Arena is notoriously crap. There is no reason why Manchester can't have to big arenas, London has 4 or 5 big arenas, Birmingham has 2.

Our 'Arena' is, genuinely, one of the most popular in the world (I think the O2 in London has now overtaken it, numbers wise). However, it's not had a sponsor for some time and with Victoria having the 'decorators in' and the huge Co Op (Noma) development nearby, the land indeed must be worth a bob or two.
It's a crap building...but given the business hotels do in the area, I'm not entirely convinced this would be going anywhere soon. Another arena may indeed be feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.