Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

Surely (I know, my name isn't Shirley) once the tram is running between Victoria and Piccadilly and if we get a train station as mooted previously up and running next to the stadium, then I would have thought that "business partners" for the hotels etc needed around the ground would flood in if you threw an "all events" arena into the equation...

What huge NOMA development? There's only one building in it.

ste.sully said:
It's js1000 from SSC. Basically Jrb, from what I've heard the infrastructure folk at the club are concerned at what will be done with Holt Town. As you say it is a throwback to 1980s industrial Manchester. It will cheapen all the good work that has been done in the area over the past 20 years come 2014 when the academy opens. Anyone who walks to and from the stadium on matchdays down the Ashton Canal will understand what I mean.

I wish to stress at this stage that City aren't hugely interested in developing the Holt Town site in a drastic manner (similar to the academy) so don't get all excited - they just want Holt Town redeveloped to match the work they are doing on the other side of the stadium. It is worthwhile to remember that the Holt Town area provides some possible synergies for the club re. FFP and community.

They would much prefer a residential development of some kind, however they are open to rebuilding the area with partners and the council are very keen for progression bearing in mind the Cibita scheme is pretty much dead due to the financial crash.

Property transactions around the stadium which generate revenue do count towards FFP - however the initial cost of building them does not count towards expenditure (and of course losses). For instance, the £100m on the academy is essentially written off. The same could be done with residential properties.

A residential development could work at Holt Town. The canal could be brought back into use, the trams are now up and running, a new sixth form college and community facilities nearby as well as two supermarkets (new one on Great Ancoats St). Essentially the club just want Holt Town redeveloped to a standard that honours what they are trying to create on the other side of the stadium.

Also the gasholders will go eventually. Taken from August 2008 council report:
The consultants report is likely to state that the decommissioning of the two Gas Holders adjacent to the Sportcity site is a key priority in order to enable comprehensive development proposals to be brought forward for the site. The decommissioning of the Gas holders is a complex technical process involving regulatory, engineering and commercial considerations. The consultants’ report will be available by the end of August; it will be used as a basis for detailed discussions with Transco / National Grid Property.

Thanks for that JS. Interesting read. :-)

I wonder. Will Sheikh Mansour take a punt at Holt Town as well?

MEN.

B of the Bang is dead. Long live the B of the Bang.

Etihad art idea is back with a Bang - and a row
29 May 2013 11:40

The multimillion pound new Etihad Campus will feature a new ‘contemporary’ taxpayer-funded sculpture.

East Manchester is set for B of the Bang ‘Mark 2’, the M.E.N. can reveal – at a cost of £340,000.

The multimillion pound new Etihad Campus – masterminded by the council and Manchester City – will feature a new ‘contemporary’ taxpayer-funded sculpture.

A total budget of £340,779 in public cash – originally granted by the now-defunct North West Development Agency – has been earmarked for the artwork.

The council says the project is ‘exciting’ – but the opposition has dubbed it ‘crazy’.

It comes exactly a decade after the doomed £2m sculpture B of the Bang was installed in the stadium’s shadow to commemorate the Commonwealth Games.

The council eventually clawed back £1.7m from its designers after bits started falling off.

It was dismantled in 2009 and melted down for scrap.

The new sculpture will sit at the heart of a leafy circle dubbed the ‘circus’, surrounded by a string of new world-class sports and community facilities.

Its design brief is being overseen by Maria Balshaw, director of Manchester city galleries. An artist with a ‘national and international reputation’ will be commissioned to create a ‘strong contemporary sculpture’, according to a report going before council bosses today.

It also reveals the council-funded part of the area’s masterplan, which includes a £9.5m leisure centre for Beswick and a £10m sixth form college, has risen in cost by £862,000 to just over £42m. Most of the extra cash will go on making the new pool more cutting-edge to attract elite users such as British Water polo.

Deputy council leader Jim Battle said: “At the heart of the Beswick hub, a piece of community art will be installed, paid for through a government funding pot that was earmarked for arts use. This exciting project is currently at the commissioning stage.”

But Lib Dem leader Simon Wheale claimed the £340,000 should be used to fund some of the six libraries currently threatened by closure.

He dubbed the move ‘plain crazy’, adding: “The Labour council's track record on public art in Manchester is poor. Nearly £300,000 was lost on the £2m ‘B of the Bang’ artwork which had to be melted down for scrap.

“The obelisk on Market Street had to be removed some years ago and the Piccadilly Wall was built without the architect ever visiting Manchester. Assurances about artists with an international reputation will not wash.”

Perhaps City, MCC, and NEM could get these on the cheap from Baghdad?

baghdad_iraq_-_hands_of_victory_TMO100015M.jpg

jrb said:
ste.sully said:
It's js1000 from SSC. Basically Jrb, from what I've heard the infrastructure folk at the club are concerned at what will be done with Holt Town. As you say it is a throwback to 1980s industrial Manchester. It will cheapen all the good work that has been done in the area over the past 20 years come 2014 when the academy opens. Anyone who walks to and from the stadium on matchdays down the Ashton Canal will understand what I mean.

I wish to stress at this stage that City aren't hugely interested in developing the Holt Town site in a drastic manner (similar to the academy) so don't get all excited - they just want Holt Town redeveloped to match the work they are doing on the other side of the stadium. It is worthwhile to remember that the Holt Town area provides some possible synergies for the club re. FFP and community.

They would much prefer a residential development of some kind, however they are open to rebuilding the area with partners and the council are very keen for progression bearing in mind the Cibita scheme is pretty much dead due to the financial crash.

Property transactions around the stadium which generate revenue do count towards FFP - however the initial cost of building them does not count towards expenditure (and of course losses). For instance, the £100m on the academy is essentially written off. The same could be done with residential properties.

A residential development could work at Holt Town. The canal could be brought back into use, the trams are now up and running, a new sixth form college and community facilities nearby as well as two supermarkets (new one on Great Ancoats St). Essentially the club just want Holt Town redeveloped to a standard that honours what they are trying to create on the other side of the stadium.

Also the gasholders will go eventually. Taken from August 2008 council report:
The consultants report is likely to state that the decommissioning of the two Gas Holders adjacent to the Sportcity site is a key priority in order to enable comprehensive development proposals to be brought forward for the site. The decommissioning of the Gas holders is a complex technical process involving regulatory, engineering and commercial considerations. The consultants’ report will be available by the end of August; it will be used as a basis for detailed discussions with Transco / National Grid Property.

Thanks for that JS. Interesting read. :-)

I wonder. Will Sheikh Mansour take a punt at Holt Town as well?

MEN.

B of the Bang is dead. Long live the B of the Bang.

Etihad art idea is back with a Bang - and a row
29 May 2013 11:40

The multimillion pound new Etihad Campus will feature a new ‘contemporary’ taxpayer-funded sculpture.

East Manchester is set for B of the Bang ‘Mark 2’, the M.E.N. can reveal – at a cost of £340,000.

The multimillion pound new Etihad Campus – masterminded by the council and Manchester City – will feature a new ‘contemporary’ taxpayer-funded sculpture.

A total budget of £340,779 in public cash – originally granted by the now-defunct North West Development Agency – has been earmarked for the artwork.

The council says the project is ‘exciting’ – but the opposition has dubbed it ‘crazy’.

It comes exactly a decade after the doomed £2m sculpture B of the Bang was installed in the stadium’s shadow to commemorate the Commonwealth Games.

The council eventually clawed back £1.7m from its designers after bits started falling off.

It was dismantled in 2009 and melted down for scrap.

The new sculpture will sit at the heart of a leafy circle dubbed the ‘circus’, surrounded by a string of new world-class sports and community facilities.

Its design brief is being overseen by Maria Balshaw, director of Manchester city galleries. An artist with a ‘national and international reputation’ will be commissioned to create a ‘strong contemporary sculpture’, according to a report going before council bosses today.

It also reveals the council-funded part of the area’s masterplan, which includes a £9.5m leisure centre for Beswick and a £10m sixth form college, has risen in cost by £862,000 to just over £42m. Most of the extra cash will go on making the new pool more cutting-edge to attract elite users such as British Water polo.

Deputy council leader Jim Battle said: “At the heart of the Beswick hub, a piece of community art will be installed, paid for through a government funding pot that was earmarked for arts use. This exciting project is currently at the commissioning stage.”

But Lib Dem leader Simon Wheale claimed the £340,000 should be used to fund some of the six libraries currently threatened by closure.

He dubbed the move ‘plain crazy’, adding: “The Labour council's track record on public art in Manchester is poor. Nearly £300,000 was lost on the £2m ‘B of the Bang’ artwork which had to be melted down for scrap.

“The obelisk on Market Street had to be removed some years ago and the Piccadilly Wall was built without the architect ever visiting Manchester. Assurances about artists with an international reputation will not wash.”

Probably the most likeable and heartwarming sculpture in Manchester is the set of windmills on Exchange Square. What did the powers that be do? They plonked a great big Ferris Wheel right in the middle of them that utterly diminished their impact.

(Although the last time I was over the Manchester Eye was gone - for good? Nothing against it, as such, mind; just that I like the f**king windmills more, okay?... Okay!?).

Marvin said:
What huge NOMA development? There's only one building in it.

Haha...there is at the moment, but the plan is for much more around (and that one building is pretty impressive). Victoria's being 'done up' and there's a new hotel being built next to the station also. Speculative or not, the area has plans in mind.

_55241173_shot_05_lres.jpg

4F5Q_M.jpg

T'Arena in the background (I have a feeling this will stay however, but I'm sure we could cope with another):

298_95746560.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. Impressive. Hopefully they are not reliant on the Co-op as they are reportedly trying to sell business units to raise Capital for their banking division. i.e they have other demands on their capital at the moment

jrb said:
Perhaps City, MCC, and NEM could get these on the cheap from Baghdad?

baghdad_iraq_-_hands_of_victory_TMO100015M.jpg

That would be great.
Park the away coaches on the other side and when Rag's walked under them, let them drop.

Marvin said:
Thanks for the pictures. Impressive. Hopefully they are not reliant on the Co-op as they are reportedly trying to sell business units to raise Capital for their banking division. i.e they have other demands on their capital at the moment

Aye...bit of a worry (locally really) of late. Pretty crap for the city if they collapsed. They've just appointed a new Chief Exec:

Niall Booker, the former head of HSBC's North American operations, will take over at Co-op as it faces questions over its capital position...

I've no idea how that will play out however, hopefully they'll turn things around.<br /><br />-- Wed May 29, 2013 6:09 pm --<br /><br />I went past Anish Kapoor's sculpture at Olympic park last week...it already looks like a redundant Blackpool ride. Looked great on the original CGI plans and in the background during the Olympic coverage, but not looking great now (seems to have rusted around the viewing platform).

Low odds for longevity with many of these sculptures.
The Frank Sidebottom one in Timperley might just work however...

The Holt Town stuff is very interesting because if you recall I posted some bits and pieces absolutely housing ages ago, at the genesis of the plans I believe.

In essence I was told there may well have been a need to relocate some residents for the 'masterplan' to work fully and it was hinted at that Ashton New Road may have to have been re-routed to allow the stadium expansion.

To be frank I think the political sensitivity and the damage to community relations killed some aspects of the 'masterplan' - at least thats what I think.

But if Holt Town is to be regenerated and the wider stadium area to include new housing stock then maybe there will be the opportunity to tiny up pockets of deprivation too.

Realistically though I dont think ADUG would seek to become a property developer in the Holt Town area but would expect MCC to carry the burden in that regard. Maybe it is that need that is holding up the stuff we all expect to happen on ADUG owned land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.