Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

danebanksheik said:
BlueAnorak said:
Baring in mind every game was sold out last season, 7,000 won't take much filling. 14,000 probably would. But even then 5 or 6 years of sustained top 4 football would do the job and 10 years would leave the place bursting at the seams. For this reason, whatever they do now must be extendible by another 10-14 thousand in the medium term.

Let's be honest here - we were "sold out" in name only for a lot of games but there were plenty always available in viagogo, we are not yet at the stage where they're queuing round the block week in week out but 5 or 6 years of sustained top 4 football will definitely bring this about and is a must for us to continue to even get near the first expansion figure.
We have the set up and should be capable of maintaining this success but its still my opinion that an increase of around 30% in our regular match day attendance is some way off and more long term. I hope I am wrong and would love to see it full pretty soon after the addition of the first stage but overall that's why I think the owners are not doing it all at once.

So when we were awful to watch under SP we pulled in 45,000 and now we pull in nearly 47,805 and the full signs go up every week. So you reckon 2,805 extra is it? Dream on.
we could shift an extra 20% now (57,366) and if the price was reduced a tidge 25% (59,756). Viagogo only shows those who can't go to a few games - and most are sold on too. Add the newcomers & plastics on top of that and I reckon we could pull 70K in 10 years.

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME.

Armitage said:
Has anyone mentioned that our stadium was designed by the same people that did Shakhtar's ground?

[bigimg]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/DONBASS_ARENA%29.jpg[/bigimg]
maybe thats why Fernandinho wants to join

worsleyweb said:
An actual new colour was invented called kippax blue for the seat. It was the time we were messing about with the kit colour with laser blue. In my opinion Gary cook did a good job brightening the inner concourse up and did a good job in the stadium.

Kippax Blue is a new colour created for MCFC but it was actually used for the seats in the 'new' Kippax Stand at Maine Road first. I was working with the club during this time and was pleased that Chris Bird & Co ensured the new stadium would have that colour seat.

Interesting about the Louvres - If I get chance I'll dig out the original drawings and have a proper look at what was proposed. Cheers.

BlueAnorak said:
Add the newcomers & plastics on top of that and I reckon we could pull 70K in 10 years.

I totally agree. I remember some thinking 48,000 was too many. Also, worth remembering that Franny Lee planned to increased Maine Rd to 55,000 by 2004 (in mid-90s) and that the original plans for the current stadium said it would be 60,000 and many of us were disappointed when the figure dropped to below 50k.

Arsenal - whose average attendances for most of the 70s-90s was much less than City's - saw no problem in building a 60k stadium, neither did Newcastle whose crowds were woefully low in the 90s.

in my humble opinion ( i've a lot to be humble about) there are more potential seat-fillers in the "priced-out" market than those who are looking for a team to support, for the time-being at least. Probably a forlorn hope that prices will drop, and thereby improving the atmosphere.

A question on the first expansion - will part of the ground be closed for a season (part of a season) while the stand development takes place, i.e. will our capacity be temporarily reduced?

Gary James said:
worsleyweb said:
An actual new colour was invented called kippax blue for the seat. It was the time we were messing about with the kit colour with laser blue. In my opinion Gary cook did a good job brightening the inner concourse up and did a good job in the stadium.

Kippax Blue is a new colour created for MCFC but it was actually used for the seats in the 'new' Kippax Stand at Maine Road first. I was working with the club during this time and was pleased that Chris Bird & Co ensured the new stadium would have that colour seat.

Interesting about the Louvres - If I get chance I'll dig out the original drawings and have a proper look at what was proposed. Cheers.

BlueAnorak said:
Add the newcomers & plastics on top of that and I reckon we could pull 70K in 10 years.

I totally agree. I remember some thinking 48,000 was too many. Also, worth remembering that Franny Lee planned to increased Maine Rd to 55,000 by 2004 (in mid-90s) and that the original plans for the current stadium said it would be 60,000 and many of us were disappointed when the figure dropped to below 50k.

Arsenal - whose average attendances for most of the 70s-90s was much less than City's - saw no problem in building a 60k stadium, neither did Newcastle whose crowds were woefully low in the 90s.

And pre-PL the evil ones filled 46,000 twice a season only.

Armitage said:
Has anyone mentioned that our stadium was designed by the same people that did Shakhtar's ground?

[bigimg]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/DONBASS_ARENA%29.jpg[/bigimg]

Nice from the 'outside' too:

Donbass-Arena-in-Donetsk-1.jpg

really nice stadium , never knew they had the money in the ukraine for infrastructure

john@staustell said:
Gary James said:
the original plans for the current stadium said it would be 60,000 and many of us were disappointed when the figure dropped to below 50k.

And pre-PL the evil ones filled 46,000 twice a season only.

True - also pre all seater OT's capacity was 56k but averaged usually averaged 38-42k; LFC's capacity was about 40k and they filled it but could only be 2nd best supported club - If LFC had had a 56k stadium then they would've beaten Utd for average attendances.

primemutton said:
really nice stadium , never knew they had the money in the ukraine for infrastructure

Payed for by a local billionaire, no doubt ruining football in Ukraine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.