Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

jrb said:
Would anyone like to see a new curved roof/s that mirrors the Colin Bell and East Stand, instead of what looks like a proposed flat roof?

One of my concerns for the new tier/s is a flat roof may detract from the view and make the 3rd tier/s feel claustrophobic.

If you've ever sat in the 2nd tier of the K-Stand at Old Trafford, you will know what I mean.

The new roof profile is a product of the cable-net still being used, currently the back of the stand is below the level of the cable net, its doesn't lie on a flat plane, the new roof will slope somewhat towards the cable-net. The solution that they have arrived at, is the answer to the problem Ive been harping on about since the extension was first mooted ie the whole roof structure is dependent upon the cable-net and it could mean dismantling the whole thing. From what I can see a new outer ring will be built at the end, the current roof will be removed leaving the cable-net in place. The a new roof cladding supported by the cable-net at pitch side and the new out ring will then be added. I would expect the new structure will include more glass and be far more attractive and icon than the current grey cladding

kramer said:
jrb said:
Would anyone like to see a new curved roof/s that mirrors the Colin Bell and East Stand, instead of what looks like a proposed flat roof?

One of my concerns for the new tier/s is a flat roof may detract from the view and make the 3rd tier/s feel claustrophobic.

If you've ever sat in the 2nd tier of the K-Stand at Old Trafford, you will know what I mean.

The new roof profile is a product of the cable-net still being used, currently the back of the stand is below the level of the cable net, its doesn't lie on a flat plane, the new roof will slope somewhat towards the cable-net. The solution that they have arrived at, is the answer to the problem Ive been harping on about since the extension was first mooted ie the whole roof structure is dependent upon the cable-net and it could mean dismantling the whole thing. From what I can see a new outer ring will be built at the end, the current roof will be removed leaving the cable-net in place. The a new roof cladding supported by the cable-net at pitch side and the new out ring will then be added. I would expect the new structure will include more glass and be far more attractive and icon than the current grey cladding

At least it's not impossible after all though :)

I think the ground will be much nicer from the outside once all this work is completed, & be one of the best in the world.

Would look something like Bayern's stadium internally. Obviously the depth of the tiers differs.

But you can get an idea of how the South Stand Lower tier could be utilized and would look, if it became a full singing section.

Click to enlarge picture.

[bigimg]http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/494068.jpg[/bigimg]

Why don't modern stadium designs cantilever the upper tiers closer to the pitch? I'm not having it for sight lines because even the back row/ corporate bods look like they can see sky. Why not bring everyone in those upper tiers that bit closer to the pitch? Same at city.

DiscoSteve said:
A few pictures from inside the Stadium Expansion Portakabin this afternoon...
[bigimg]http://stevenicklin.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/2013-07-13_13_01_27.jpg[/bigimg]
[bigimg]http://stevenicklin.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/2013-07-13_13_02_32.jpg[/bigimg]
[bigimg]http://stevenicklin.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/2013-07-13_13_03_12.jpg[/bigimg]
Note the fate of the second tier seasoncard holders in the East and West Stands... :(
Interestingly no pictures of the stadium with the amended roof

Wow I didn't realise it was that big, that does look like a large european type end with how high it goes. All four corners can be filled in also after 1st two stages completed at a guess taking it to about 68,000 fully completed - if you think about every corner would hold about 2,000 extra?

Ah didn't realise that's everyone on CBL2 and ESL2 booted out of seats that's not in the padded ones then after the extra 4,800 padded seats installed after both phases. Or at most last block available above each corner flag for normal season ticket?

I'm guessing City are looking at something like this, but better. Wembley.

[bigimg]http://stevenicklin.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/2013-07-13_13_03_12.jpg[/bigimg]

insideclubwembley.jpg

In terms of what City are looking at, I'd note that: (i) American sports are currently (and unsurprisingly) comfortable leaders in the ability to "monetize" a facility, as the US corporate sporting argot puts it; (ii) City have already done a deal whereby the hospitality arm of the NY Yankees, Legends Hospitality, provides services at our stadium; and (iii) the NYC FC official fan Twitter feed was today suggesting that NYC FC will play a season at Yankee Stadium before the purpose-built facility for NYC FC is ready.

I think that jrb is right that MCFC will be looking at something which is a step up from Wembley in terms of the offer to fans at the stadium. In view of the above, I'd suggest that we look at Yankee Stadium to get an idea of what that might be. I haven't done so yet myself (a bit busy at the moment) but the link is here: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/index.jsp.

One thing to note is that American sports, and especially baseball, pull people in for longer than your standard British football match. City have started to try and do this with City Square, but when the collar site developments are built, I suspect there'll be even more people looking to arrive early and/or hang round after the match. However, I assume they'll also keep facilities open inside the stadium as well. I believe Arsenal do this at the Emirates with a view to minimising the rush for local transport at the final whistle.

However, I suspect (my guess only) that the kind of facilities we have will be a step up from any stadium or arena currently open in the UK, quite possibly Europe. It won't be to everyone's taste and there'll be a lot of moaning about sanitising the game, but for better or worse it's the direction things are headed.

I was very impressed by Yankee Stadium and it has inspired my thoughts on how(within our expansion capabilities) we can improve the stadium. Having 2 layers to the stadium, the first the main entrance section where you find club shops, eateries, bars and sponsor shops and then the inner layer which has the concourses with more typical food and beverage sales I think would be amazing.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
I was very impressed by Yankee Stadium and it has inspired my thoughts on how(within our expansion capabilities) we can improve the stadium. Having 2 layers to the stadium, the first the main entrance section where you find club shops, eateries, bars and sponsor shops and then the inner layer which has the concourses with more typical food and beverage sales I think would be amazing.

Basically the o2 arena in London for anyone who has been there. it has a concourse running around it (entertainment avenue) with bars & restaurants which are still under the dome roof, the venue is then in the central section. Its a fantastic place & really works as it gives you choice where to eat & there are bars too

floorplan.gif

o09v0j.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.