Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

Why not remove the roof completely in a week and replace it with another design which is designed to meet up with a future expanded stadium. Effectively the roof will be a 'floating design' suspended by additional cables until the new stands are built and connected to the outer edges of the roof. This could easily be done in the close season.

This then frees us to build additional stands as and when with no disruption.

Or am I being a bit thick?

I am not an engineer nor builder so I could be completely wrong. If we take off the roof it won't IMO be just to add some more seats. Looking back at the designs and some pictures shown on this thread a lot of the stadia have hotels incoporated into the structure, maybe with a good summer it could all be achieved. If that were to happen I suspect the club might ask the fixtures committee to make say last four fixtures of one closing season away and first 4 fixtures of new season away thereby giving us an extra couple of months, but I am just guessing. I re iterate though only IMO will this happen once the academy building all completed.

Rammyblues said:
Why not remove the roof completely in a week and replace it with another design which is designed to meet up with a future expanded stadium. Effectively the roof will be a 'floating design' suspended by additional cables until the new stands are built and connected to the outer edges of the roof. This could easily be done in the close season.

This then frees us to build additional stands as and when with no disruption.

Or am I being a bit thick?

I am not an engineer nor builder so I could be completely wrong. If we take off the roof it won't IMO be just to add some more seats. Looking back at the designs and some pictures shown on this thread a lot of the stadia have hotels incoporated into the structure, maybe with a good summer it could all be achieved. If that were to happen I suspect the club might ask the fixtures committee to make say last four fixtures of one closing season away and first 4 fixtures of new season away thereby giving us an extra couple of months, but I am just guessing. I re iterate though only IMO will this happen once the academy building all completed.
If the stadium is to be expanded, by adding a 3rd tier to the North and South stands, won't they build the new roof over the top of the original?Then the original roof could be removed.

Wouldn't it be nice if somebody from City, with the OK from Mansour and Khaldoon, came onto this thread and posted an update on the training complex and possible 'future plans for the stadium'. ;-) (as if jrb)

It's not asking too much considering the time and effort everyone puts in on this thread. Ok the official website is great for CGI's and has a stunning flythrough, but it hasn't been updated in 6 months.(news, etc)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestercityfootballacademy.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestercityfootballacademy.co.uk/</a>

Perhaps some new interviews with people involved in the new training complex(cladding photographed, etc), and some new pictures of the remediation work currently going on on the Aniline site would be nice.

sergiokun said:
Shauntheprofitmachine said:
tbh, would you rather have 55,000 capacity selling out everyweek or 70,000 with 15,000 empty seats?

55,000 for me

but if the club are going to expand i think they will make it 60.000 and see how we sell

The demand will rise but how quickly.

That is the problem. Ideally the capacity would be raised incrementally. First add a third tier to the North Stand to push the capacity up to around 50,000. The next stage would be to do the same with the South Stand to give around 55,000.

If that was being filled regularly then add fouth tiers to the remaining stands to eventually give around 65,000. The roof problem will have to be resolved first.

Do nothing and the only way of increasing matchday income will be to create more corporate areas which will actually reduce the capacity for ordinary supporters.

If you think that tickets are in short supply now, wait untilCity have won their second Champions' League title?

The demand is clearly there for all to see now.

I am so glad my dad,mum,god whoever made me a blue...

There have been numerous comments saying our future expansion plans are hindered by the roof design. I'm no engineer but my take on it is as follows:
When the stadium was built for the Commonwealth Games it was built with 3 sides, the north stand being a temporary structure. The 3 permanent stands were covered by the existing roof with support coming from the turrets and existing structure. If the roof could be supported on only 3 sides for the games surely it could be again whilst a 3rd tier was added 1 end at a time. As i say i'm no engineer but just looking at the stadium makes you think it was designed and built with expansion in mind.

Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

Can't we build a totally different building around the stadium and integrate it into it? Build it higher than the roof

How about if they took off the whole roof during an off season and then replaced it with a roof that was in 4 parts (one part for each stand) instead of the single structure roof they have now? This way they wouldn't need to take the whole roof off each time they wanted to make a stand bigger.

And the question of either having a full stadium with 55,000 season or a 70,000 seater stadium with 15,000 season empty is a tough one. On one hand a full stadium with more people wanting to go and watch means a loss in revenue but empty seats never look good. It just depends whether the demand would be their to fill a 70,000 seater (which it probably is on a regular basis at the moment). I suppose this is where the idea of 4 separate roofs could be a good one as we could add new seats each off season if needed.

Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

robbie brewer said:
There have been numerous comments saying our future expansion plans are hindered by the roof design. I'm no engineer but my take on it is as follows:
When the stadium was built for the Commonwealth Games it was built with 3 sides, the north stand being a temporary structure. The 3 permanent stands were covered by the existing roof with support coming from the turrets and existing structure. If the roof could be supported on only 3 sides for the games surely it could be again whilst a 3rd tier was added 1 end at a time. As i say i'm no engineer but just looking at the stadium makes you think it was designed and built with expansion in mind.

The roof support cables were already insitu at the open end during the games. It is the removal of the towers at the back of the stands and their replacement with higher ones placed further out to gain the height required to clear the higher rear roof line that would make it difficult - though with money and engineering it shouldn't be insurmountable.

If we wanted to expand the stadium, we could. We'll just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.