Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
gouldybob said:
given_is_ironman said:
Why would you want to get rid of the Apollo? It's by far the best music venue in Manchester, it serves as a middle ground for bands that are too big for the Academy but are too small for the Arena (which by the way is terrible as a music venue). Long live the Apollo!

Apollo has had it's day and has a great site to link to the Brunswick development in the area.

I agree with you about the size which is why I said a configurable arena, Leeds can go down to less than 3000 I believe , regarding the Arena I also agree and prefer to go to Liverpool and Leeds if possible as they are smaller but the sound at the Arena and the Apollo are both crap, maybe we can build something that works. Don't get me wrong I've had fun at the Apollo but Manchester deserves better and we can provide it. Apollo RIP... Apollo memories a Cellar Thread. ?????

The problem with configurable arenas is that they're still huge no matter how small the seating configuration is. The sound in most arenas is god-awful so unless you're willing to spend millions of pounds then it's going to be crap. Great for packing a load of kids in to see a pop band who don't really care about the sound, not so great for large touring rock bands. Which is why a lot of bands prefer playing open air shows, can't really happen on a regular basis in the UK though.

Also, The Apollo is the best sounding venue I've been to. They have a great mix of it sounding like you're in 300 capacity venue when in reality you're in a 3.5k venue.

It doesn't look like we will be getting anymore monthly updates from Airviews. I emailed asking for Decembers pictures but was told City had put a block on new pictures, can't work that one out.

A bit sad but I really looked forward to seeing how the Campus was progressing.

We still have jrb to keep us updated, nice one.

"48,000 Current design
Currently the main podium ring is 29,000m2, over-providing the current
48,000 capacity stadium which only needs 24,000m2.
54,500 Mode
The existing over-provision would go some of the way to accommodate the
27,250m2 required in this mode. If only the South end was built this would
allow City Square to remain in the North.
61,000 Mode
If both ends are developed, the whole area of City Square would need to be
used as an external podium to provide 30,500m2 for the 61,000 fans."

I found this on the "Architecture design and development" e-document, it looks like city square and the souvenir shop are going to have to go, but go where? I think the obvious place to put them would be somewhere on the collar site, probably at the north east corner of the stadium, it would be an opportunity rebuild them with a better layout and facilities, perhaps with a larger capacity stage area.

lyonfish said:
I found this on the "Architecture design and development" e-document, it looks like city square and the souvenir shop are going to have to go, but go where? I think the obvious place to put them would be somewhere on the collar site, probably at the north east corner of the stadium, it would be an opportunity rebuild them with a better layout and facilities, perhaps with a larger capacity stage area.

In the new "minihad" stadium ?
There's a lot of space under the stands marked as "commercial" club shop and "supporters club" would fit the bill?

acton28 said:
I think Eastlands/Etihad Campus/Sportcity needs a massive icedome/basketball arena. Bring home Manc Giants, invite Manc Magic - and then help Phoenix...

The basketball team are set for the Belle Vue Sports Village, Hockey to I think

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchester.gov.uk/news/article/6643/contractor_on-board_for_belle_vue_sports_village" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchester.gov.uk/news/artic ... ts_village</a>

Chancy Termites said:
I like the Apollo too but I do wish they could stop the place smelling like a wet large dog. If not then I say knock the place down.

laughed for ages after reading that, Very good. And so true.
Sadly it has smelt like that for many years.

BlueAnorak said:
Chancy Termites said:
I like the Apollo too but I do wish they could stop the place smelling like a wet large dog. If not then I say knock the place down.

laughed for ages after reading that, Very good. And so true.
Sadly it has smelt like that for many years.

Do your shoes still stick to the carpets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.