Status
Not open for further replies.
pride in battle said:
ZabbaStuntDouble said:
2e3ddi0.png

like how they are re-developing Manchester ... thumbs up from me lol

Where is that? It looks amazing...

Salford Quays. Popped up overnight.

That flimsy looking building to the left of the stadium looks like a pack of cards.

jrb said:
somapop said:
Thanks for posting them there pics jrb.

Noticed the south stand works yesterday but nothing starting on the north stand...I may have missed this during the past few days/weeks, but has it been confirmed that both ends are being done expanded the same time?

Obviously I don't know, but I'm now of the opinion that the South Stand will be the only stand to be expanded for now, along with the seats at the front of the stands. That will take the Etihad capacity to about 57,000.

Then again what do I know?

Testing starts later this week, when that is finished it moves on to the North stand area.

jrb said:
somapop said:

Noticed the south stand works yesterday but nothing starting on the north stand...I may have missed this during the past few days/weeks, but has it been confirmed that both ends are being done expanded the same time?

Obviously I don't know, but I'm now of the opinion that the South Stand will be the only stand to be expanded for now, along with the seats at the front of the stands. That will take the Etihad capacity to about 57,000.

I'm not an engineer, but could it be that it will be too much disruption to work on the groundworks at both ends at the same time, and instead do the groundworks one end, then move to the other, leaving time to complete the stands in the summer?

Then again, not sure we'll fill a 70k stadium yet, so 57k would probably be about right.

willy eckerslike said:
jrb said:
somapop said:

I'm not an engineer, but could it be that it will be too much disruption to work on the groundworks at both ends at the same time, and instead do the groundworks one end, then move to the other, leaving time to complete the stands in the summer?

Then again, not sure we'll fill a 70k stadium yet, so 57k would probably be about right.

There's 2 ways of looking at that mate.

Firstly we would easily fill 70K for this Barcelona match, when even a lot of blue members cant get tickets - like me!

Secondly by the time it was built - we would need it! The expansion above 48k is well overdue, selling out every league match.

Besides doesn't this current round of extending north and south raise capacity to 62k not 70?

It's my fault. I brought the subject up again. :-( Apologies.

Still confusion over whether one or both ends of the stadium are going to be expanded.(above posts)

Not saying either is right or wrong, but it would be good if we could get some closure on this, once and for all.

I might give Ferran a call. He should know. ;-)

john@staustell said:
willy eckerslike said:
jrb said:

There's 2 ways of looking at that mate.

Firstly we would easily fill 70K for this Barcelona match, when even a lot of blue members cant get tickets - like me!

Secondly by the time it was built - we would need it! The expansion above 48k is well overdue, selling out every league match.

Besides doesn't this current round of extending north and south raise capacity to 62k not 70?

Haven't got a clue. Read in this thread somewhere that we were getting close to 70k with the extra seats at level 1 and some tweaking elsewhere, but maybe that was just hopeful talk rather than in the plans submitted. My concerns are the extra seats at ground level -it's pretty poor to see what's going on (at the other end of the pitch) even 10 rows back at the moment (if you're north or south stand), and changing the profile of the steps also makes it harder to see over people in front - possibly an issue in the family stand. I do hope they don't class the rows as being added at the back of the stands hence pushing people lower down.

There is the possibility to lower the pitch, the surface is raised above the 'track' around it at the moment.

Unfortunately we don't play teams like Barcelona every week, but I see your point.

City have put hoardings up at the back of the south stand which are clearly as far as the extension will go my guess is they are there to assess people flow out of the stadium for the planning application.

willy eckerslike said:
jrb said:
somapop said:

The logistics of doing both at the same time are sound and in place, it would also be cheaper to do both at the same time and also overall reduce the time that the venue is under work. There would also be a big gap between completing one end and starting the other, due to the Rugby World Cup. If the decision is, both at the same time it might appear that the work will start on one end first

kramer said:
willy eckerslike said:
jrb said:

The logistics of doing both at the same time are sound and in place, it would also be cheaper to do both at the same time and also overall reduce the time that the venue is under work. There would also be a big gap between completing one end and starting the other, due to the Rugby World Cup. If the decision is, both at the same time it might appear that the work will start on one end first

That's exactly my understanding of the situation. South stand to be completed in time for the egg chasing with the north stand to follow. And other than the works on the outside of the ground, from a spectator point of view the works will not affect the stand as the new roof will be built over the existing before being removed.

This is a great thread - plus thanks to JRB. Did I not read - maybe 12/14 months ago - that the 2015 Rugby World Cup
which I believe is in Autumn 2015 - will have ONE game at The Etihad and the capacity is supposed to be 60,000.?
This leads me to believe that both South and North stands will be complete and with the 2,000 extra lower seats around pitch level the capacity will be 62,200 (approx.)
Lot to do between March 2014 and Oct. 2015 methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.