Etihad

Prestwich_Blue said:
Dirty Harry said:
I'm not great at english but the link here may do <a class="postlink" href="http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1426178_manchester-city-stadium-does-the-arabic-word-etihad-really-mean-united-in-english" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... in-english</a>

I particularly like 'Justified true beliefs' take on it.

Definitely worth sharing.
So Etihad is defined as meaning Union or Unity, but that is not good enough.

The article states - "When asked if the word "could" mean 'United' he consulted an arabic dictionary and said: "Yes, it can also stand for union, alliance, friendship and united."

Using the same obtuse logic, I consulted my mate “Nobby” who assures me that United means – “made into or caused to act as a single entity, formed or produced by uniting parts”

When I asked him if uniting parts could mean like a towns in to a City – He said yes.

So there you go United means City
And some Man U fans live in the CITY of Manchester, and pay taxes to the Manchester CITY Council.

Okay, maybe two or three, but you get the point.

I liked the bit about the plane going to India and Asia, could cause a dilema for one or two of the rag season ticket holders whether to get on it or not and the fact that we are advertising our club in their heartlands (ooops sorry it doesn't go to Surrey).:-)

THFC6061 said:
The rags translation is incorrect as Etihad(اتـحـاد) means Union

Actually, a more accurate English translation would be "Unity".

It is derived from the "United" in United Arab Emirates (الإمارات العربية المتحدة Al-'Imārāt al-`Arabiyyah al-Muttaḥidah).

Not a million mile away from United, is it?

Fair enough, next season we will refer to all the teams in the PL that end in United as XXX Unity such as Manchester Unity, Newcastle Unity - see if that will be adopted.

Now kindly fuck off with ridiculous comparisons

Clubber said:
People have talked about the new sponsorship deal being a massive bonus to us, which it undoubtedly is, but Etihad must be rubbing their hands together aswell.

Just the discussions of the deal must have given Etihad exactly what they want. Every paper in GB and possibly in the world will have news of this landmark deal, pushing the name of Etihad to a wider audience. Before the deal was finished and announced, papers were running stories of the potential impact this deal would have. All this advertising is what Etihad were after.

So let's not see this as a one way thing, as we both seem to be big winners already out of this.

It's not just city fans either, I have numerous text off rags telling me the supposed translation of Etihad, so even they are interested in the deal and are even more familiar with the name on everyone's lips (After city of course) Etihad.

Perhaps the answer to all these 'jibes' about one of the translations of Etihad being 'united' (although we all know it's really Unity) is to tell all rags that ok, we've already stolen your thunder, kudos and media coverage - so we thought we'd nick your name too!!!

What i love about it (apart from the money,thanks Etihad),is that a check in agent from Melbourne has worked his way up to be the CEO of one of the worlds fastest growing airlines,local boy does good (and does good for City).
Did not know he was an Aussie,untill i saw the video on MCFC.COM.

In all honesty, I couldn't give a fuck what Etihad is when it is translated. It's just a tenuous link to try and have a go. I don't dislike united because of their name, I dislike united because of their actions and our rivalry with them.

To worry/be bothered by the fact Etihad could possibly be linked to the 'word' united, however spuriously, is just daft. It would be like me not wearing Adidas trainers, because the Adi in the name is short for Adolf, and we know what a rotter Adolf hitler was. It would be just as daft for United to have there ground out side of the City limits, so that they're not actually in 'Manchester City'…..........

Clubber said:
To worry/be bothered by the fact Etihad could possibly be linked to the 'word' united, however spuriously, is just daft. It would be like me not wearing Adidas trainers, because the Adi in the name is short for Adolf, and we know what a rotter Adolf hitler was. It would be just as daft for United to have there ground out side of the City limits, so that they're not actually in 'Manchester City'…..........

That my friend is quality, and is being robbed and re-used.

Is it wrong of me to now refer to the rags as Trafford Etihad? It's already pissed off a few of my red friends,but,if it pisses off blues,then,i won't bother!! Just trying to make them realize how wrong they are!!

mcfcRV said:
Is it wrong of me to now refer to the rags as Trafford Etihad? It's already pissed off a few of my red friends,but,if it pisses off blues,then,i won't bother!! Just trying to make them realize how wrong they are!!
Then you'd be playing into their hands.

The simple fact is this. The CEO of Etihad Airways, the stadium and shirt sponsor of MCFC has stated that the term Etihad, used in context of Etihad Airways means 'Union'.

That's the be all and end all, our sponsor says they are 'Union'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.