EU referendum

• In

Votes: 503 47.9%
  • Out

Votes: 547 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This business about going into the unknown... There is some truth in it but I'd liken it to an unhappy marriage. Breaking up raises the spectre of financial worries and hardship but, if pushed hard enough, you have to take that step. And in many cases it works out for the best.

Not even the inners want that. The EU is so marvellous that even its supporters prefer to stay on the fringe.

That's not true, the remain camp is flacid in its arguments (but at least they have one) because they won't promote the EU, but there are those who would love to see greater integration but there is nowhere for their voice to be heard.

I am seriously for Leave, but if we do remain I think we need to commit to it in its entirety and get involved. This half in half out half Arse solution in my mind is the worst of all worlds!

You are right in a lot of ways Joe. Whilst I am against joining the Euro for hindering our economic flexibility we could do a lot more to be seen as a key member state. For example, we tend to grandstand (gloat) when we block an EU policy or vote instead of playing the longer game like France. This has alienated us from some former Allies eg amongst the Eastern European countries that joined over the last decade or so that in turn has reduced our influence in the EU.

We also have this habit of either blocking the EU or implementing the most rigid inteoretation of a rule / policy possible. The French, for example, may agree to things looking like good European but with no intention of implementing them.

You are right in a lot of ways Joe. Whilst I am against joining the Euro for hindering our economic flexibility we could do a lot more to be seen as a key member state. For example, we tend to grandstand (gloat) when we block an EU policy or vote instead of playing the longer game like France. This has alienated us from some former Allies eg amongst the Eastern European countries that joined over the last decade or so that in turn has reduced our influence in the EU.

We also have this habit of either blocking the EU or implementing the most rigid inteoretation of a rule / policy possible. The French, for example, may agree to things looking like good European but with no intention of implementing them.
You seem to be a very balanced person Tim and the points made above are valid.

It's a common belief (and correct in my book) that the majority of European Givernmants don't take a blind bit if notice about what the EU tells them to do and carry on in their own sweet way.... but the UK, follow everything to the absolute letter

That's not true, the remain camp is flacid in its arguments (but at least they have one) because they won't promote the EU, but there are those who would love to see greater integration but there is nowhere for their voice to be heard.

I can't see this settling down any time soon. Although an outer, I have little doubt the vote will be to stay in, swung by the "devil we know factor. The uncommitted middle grounders will simply not take the risk.

It will leave a nasty taste after all the shenanigans and - if you are correct - there will battles ahead o more than one front.

That said, there would be a lot of bitterness after an out vote too. The genie is out of the bottle and this referendum is going to solve very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.