EU referendum

• In

Votes: 503 47.9%
  • Out

Votes: 547 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
the question has been repeatedly answered, your acceptance of an answer is not a requirement

Apart from grunge just now saying nothing changes I don't recall seeing an answer at all so if you've posted on it already and can copy your response I would be interested to read it

I appreciate the time scales are different but I believe any decision should be about which is best for the long-term future of the country rather than basing decisions on fear of the short-term. Some short-term pain may be worth it if it brings about better long-term gain. Both sides are having to take a stab in the dark about that.

I'm inclined to the view that a Johnson led government, with a Brexit dominated Cabinet and no effective opposition, could do serious long term damage to the country. Never mind the EU,

Don´t be scared mate. Punitive tariffs are banned under WTO rules.

Who said anything about tariffs being punitive? I spent my entire working life in exports and I can assure you that export markets are much more competitive than the domestic market and any sort of tariff or duty (effectively they amount to the same thing) will make our products more expensive. Maintaining a competitive edge is vital and even a small percentage differential can result in the loss of a contract or project. Our exporting companies need every competitive advantage they can get.

See also Blueish Swede's response below.

The elephant in the room that the Brexit campaign fail to adress is that the WTO rules have tarriffs and quotas. Once you've sold your quota you are either prevented from selling more or the tarrifs are prohibitively high and you effectively sell at a loss and there is plenty of extra capacity in Europe to fill the void of British exports.

I'm inclined to the view that a Johnson led government, with a Brexit dominated Cabinet and no effective opposition, could do serious long term damage to the country. Never mind the EU,

How anyone can support a campaign fronted by buffoons like Johnson, Gove or Farage I'll never know. Louise Minchin owned Farage on Breakfast TV this morning when he sidestepped her question on how boatloads of illegal migrants can be stopped if we leave the EU. Farage's facile reply was that we'd simply strengthen our border controls to vet who can and cannot enter the UK. Derrr Nigel. We're talking ILLEGAL migrants here, not those that arrive at Heathrow or on Eurostar.

Do any of the Brexit supporters on here know who is the only world leader who supports the leave campaign? That's right. It's Vladimir Putin. That should be be enough to raise a doubt or two for a start.

How anyone can support a campaign fronted by buffoons like Johnson, Gove or Farage I'll never know. Louise Minchin owned Farage on Breakfast TV this morning when he sidestepped her question on how boatloads of illegal migrants can be stopped if we leave the EU. Farage's facile reply was that we'd simply strengthen our border controls to vet who can and cannot enter the UK. Derrr Nigel. We're talking ILLEGAL migrants here, not those that arrive at Heathrow or on Eurostar.

Do any of the Brexit supporters on here know who is the only world leader who supports the leave campaign? That's right. It's Vladimir Putin. That should be be enough to raise a doubt or two for a start.

The only leader not hamstrung by political correctness.

The fact you are arguing the EU is democratic says it all. Who put a cross on a ballot for Jean-Claude Juncker, Martin Schulz or Donald Tusk? When we voted for our MEPs did it say if xx is elected then they will vote for Jean-Claude Juncker? The EU is worse than the old TUC at least back then most could vote for coffee and the leaders overrule and vote for tea.

Martin Schulz was voted as president of the EU by a vote of all MEPs, in a similar way that the Speaker of the House of Commons is elected by MPs in the UK parliament. In Schiulz case, he was elected to the EU Parlaiment by the voters of a constituency in Germany , the same way any other MEP is elected and therfore has a mandate from the people and has the right to vote, in the same way as an MP can vote in the UK.

Jean-Claude Juncker is also voted for by MEPs in the European Parliament, but since there is no necessity for the President of the European Commission to be an elected MEP, i.e elected by a popular vote, he has no voting rights himself.

Donald Tusk was chosen by the political leaders of the member nations of the EU. As with Juncker, there is no pre-requisite of a popular vote to the Council for the role and so the President of the European Council has no voting rights in the Council (although they could if he/she was also a sitting political head of a member state, like Cameron).

Gove alone is enough to make me vote in!

Can you imagine what the tory party will become if the vote leave campaign wins!!!!

The only leader not hamstrung by political correctness.

The only leader who would be ecstatic at the EU becoming divided and weaker. He still hasn't forgiven the EU for taking Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Hungary, Poland, Czech Reublic, Slovakia, Bulgaria and Romania away from Russia's sphere of political and economic influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.