EURO 2012: Day 8 Matchday Thread

Re: Glen Johnson - You are terrible.

FantasyIreland said:
He also made a couple of potential goal saving challenges,he wasn't even close to being the worst England player tonight.

Let's just ignore he made those challenges because he totally switched off and let somebody run off him before having to recover.

At fault for both goals, his reaction to the second is laughable. 3 yards away from his man who he let have a free header from within the six yard box and it's time to wave his hands in the air and blame something or someone else. A sorry excuse of a right back who should be on the first flight back to England after a performance that almost single handedly left England on the brink tonight.

Shit performance, shit effort and a shit attitude. Not only was he, by a country mile, England's worst performer tonight he was Sweden's best.

Uber Blue said:
ManCitizens. said:
Both goals v Sweden his fault, shocking player. I hope your enjoying yourself on a beach Micah.

Yeah, but for me not as bad as Scott 'I'll hide in any available crevice on the pitch, whether between two or three Swedish players just so I don't receive the ball, or just plain refusing to show for any fucking pass from any one of our defenders' Parker. Now he is utter fucking dogshit. A truly terrible player.
Don't forget his ability to pass to the player being most tightly marked hence losing us possession via easy interceptions.

GazC said:
FantasyIreland said:
He also made a couple of potential goal saving challenges,he wasn't even close to being the worst England player tonight.

Let's just ignore he made those challenges because he totally switched off and let somebody run off him before having to recover.

At fault for both goals, his reaction to the second is laughable. 3 yards away from his man who he let have a free header from within the six yard box and it's time to wave his hands in the air and blame something or someone else. A sorry excuse of a right back who should be on the first flight back to England after a performance that almost single handedly left England on the brink tonight.

Shit performance, shit effort and a shit attitude. Not only was he, by a country mile, England's worst performer tonight he was Sweden's best.

Not so sure about that - both Cashley and the Diving Rag were well ahead of him, as was Milly.

Absolute bollocks, Johnson had a better game than most of the back four. Lescott and Ashley Cole were as nervous as kittens. Milner and Ashley Young had a complete footballing malfunction tonight. Parker and Gerrard were totally overun in midfield. Hate to say it, but when Shrek comes back we might see abit more composure on the ball and less of the shit yer pants football.

We gave far too much respect to players who ply their trade for West Brom, Sunderland etc..

As soon as Walcott ran at them like he would in any normal premiership game, it soon became apparent that we'd over estimated them.

He really is a god awful right back. He has absolutely no positional sense at all. The number of times he allowed someone to run past him then had to sprint his bollocks off to try and fix his mistake was embarrassing. It's really annoying that he makes a few Hollywood tackles (which were only necessary because it was his fuck up to start with) and people think he did a good job.

If we get through the groups and meet one of the bigger teams he is going to get torn to shreds.

ifiwasarichfan said:
I never really rated Welbeck.

All that time he was at Sunderland I really couldn't see it but he has convinced me now. He has pace, he works hard, he scores different types of Goals - even though tonights may have been a fluke - he was in the position.

he meant that goal all day long - top class, Balotelliesque

Maybe right, just maybe, Hodgson is playing welbeck and young because they are part of the second best attacking partnerships in England. Also pressure from the press, ridiculous amount of injuries and the complete no show 2 years ago might just be forcing his hand to play this system.

I think I've got a few more years of being a city fan to fill me up with bitterness before I get so incensed by united player just touching the ball. Sure this isn't a great England team but at least they're putting in a performance to be at least half proud of. It was sloppy today and we should never have given away two goals, but maybe the result will give the players the confidence they need to have a proper crack at it. Who knows it might even convince a couple of you to stop frothing at the mouth whenever an image of pubehead cheering on his teammates is shown.

paulchapo said:
We were terrible and just about beat a very poor Swedish side due to a slice of good fortune and a ''Try a flick here and see what happens'' goal,luckily it went in.

We are a poor one paced side,terrified of making a mistake and who can hardly string two passes together.We might......we have to at least draw against Ukraine yet who need a win.....scrape through the group but it is only delaying the inevitable.We are light years away from Spain and Germany and probably France,despite our draw against them.

We really need to go right back to basics from the kids upwards in this country and get coaches who teach ball retention,being comfortable with it and passing it about.If Brendan Rodgers could do it and get lower league players playing that way,surely it is not beyond coaches at the national level doing the same?
This. Even at the End kept giving it away lucky not to be punished. Martin Olson had the beating of Glenn Johnson poor game from him again. No real CM options.

ITV player ratings.........

Joe Hart: Maintained concentration well to ensure he was not caught out by a couple of deflected efforts and little chance with the goals. 7.

Glen Johnson: Some vital tackles but part of a defence that went AWOL at times. 7

Ashley Cole: Superb through ball for Young might have brought England a second goal. 7.

Steven Gerrard: Second assist, from virtually the same place as his first to set up Carroll's opener. Also created Walcott's. 7.

John Terry: Mental toughness has to be admired. Like Johnson, good tackles. Organisational problems though. 7.

Andy Carroll: Brute of a header to give England the lead. Gave away the free-kick that allowed Sweden to level. 7.

Ashley Young: Not his greatest night. Found it tough to impose himself on the game and poor distribution did not help. 6.

Joleon Lescott: Maybe his partnership with Terry is not quite as seamless as we thought. 6.

James Milner (off 61): Sticks to his strengths, which is no bad thing. But conceded free-kick for Sweden's second. 6.

Scott Parker: Early shot from Welbeck's lay-off. Busy night thereafter. 6.

Danny Welbeck (off 89): Brilliant winner to cap a fine performance. Given Hodgson a selection problem. 8

Substitutes:

Theo Walcott (on 61): Took just three minutes to make his mark, deceiving Isaksson completely from 25 yards. 9.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (on 89): Not enough time to make an impact.

Hmmmmm........

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Ric said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
I disagree, nothing other than pure performance suggests he wasn't good enough last season imo, he wouldn't be there if he didn't play for United, he runs like a horse, lost the ball any time he ran with it, typical Welbeck performance. Wouldn't say he was better than any of the above and neither is Carroll.

Like I say, it's all about opinions.

But your theory that his inclusion is because of a United bias falls down somewhat on the exclusion of Ferdinand and Carrick. Surely they should have been there on merit, ahead of Kelly and Henderson. If anything there's a Liverpool bias in Hodgson's selection. Downing ahead of Adam Johnson is another example.

I agree on that much, I think it's a more Scouse bias, Carrick just is never fancied and Ferdinand is because of Terry.

Priceless.
You start off about a supposed bias towards United players because one of them had the audacity to score the winning goal,then Ric brings some logic to the party,and all of a sudden the bias is towards Liverpool.
Has it ever occurred to you that there is no great conspiracy here,and that Hodgson just picks the players he thinks will do the business on the day?
His substitutions worked,and got the result we needed.
Put it this way.
Would you rather Welbeck had not played,and England had drawn instead?
And would you still be saying that winning goal was a fluke if Silva had scored it for Spain?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.