EURO 2012: Day 8 Matchday Thread

Marvin said:
England were poor again. very poor.

Hart, Lescott and Milner played well but generally England can not control possession. They never have been able to. This is not the fault of the manager. It's a trait of the English game

Thought Walcott's goal was a touchy lucky. Keeper was unsighted. The England goals weren't in keeping with their game

Wouldn't play Carroll again. Awesome header, but his presence makes England hoof it, and I think a mobile skilful forward like Defoe or Young moved up alongside Welbeck would be better.

Milner was terrible,if he wasn't a blue,there'd be a thread dedicated to the fact.

Re: Glen Johnson - You are terrible.

Ashley Young and James Milner had worse games than Glen Johnson.

FantasyIreland said:
Danny Welbeck (off 89): Brilliant winner to cap a fine performance. Given Hodgson a selection problem. 8

Absolutely laughable. The ONLY thing he did was try and trap a ball and it somehow ended up in the goal. Did nothing of any value otherwise. Should've buried Milner's cross early on, in acres of space, but is too shit.

FantasyIreland said:
Marvin said:
England were poor again. very poor.

Hart, Lescott and Milner played well but generally England can not control possession. They never have been able to. This is not the fault of the manager. It's a trait of the English game

Thought Walcott's goal was a touchy lucky. Keeper was unsighted. The England goals weren't in keeping with their game

Wouldn't play Carroll again. Awesome header, but his presence makes England hoof it, and I think a mobile skilful forward like Defoe or Young moved up alongside Welbeck would be better.

Milner was terrible,if he wasn't a blue,there'd be a thread dedicated to the fact.
rubbish. He at least put some crosses in. He isn't a Walcott you now. Compare his contribution to the left-sided midfielder

I said years ago to my scouse brother in law when Liverpool signed Glen Johnson they were fucked. I've been proven right with that one as well as Liverpool have been in a constant decline since they signed the fucker (he's not the only reason but he's played his part). As he's a fucking defender that can't fucking defend. he's not bad going forward but not great, defensively though he's just fucking dog shit awful. Why the fuck England took him over Richards I'll never know.

Anyway with the way things are going we're going to get Spain if we qualify from the group stage. With Glen Johnson in the team we will well and truly be fucked defensively. So IMO we should just go for broke and go play a 4-3-3 formation and try and score more than them. As I genuinely do not believe we will be able to stop Spain from scoring, not with our defence they will tear us apart.

I'd go for this formation personally.

-----------Hart-----------
Glen--Terry---Lescott-cole
---Milner-Gerrard-Parker---
---Welbeck-----Rooney----
-----------Carrol----------

In defence get Carrol and Rooney to drop deep and harry the opposition. While In attack alternate one of the fullback going forward with either Milner or Gerrard bombing forward from a central position.

We'll still get hammered against Spain (if we get that far) but at least we'll go down fighting. Honestly I'd rather see us go down fighting than see us defend like in the France game. As Spain will rip us a new arse hole if we try that on them. We're just not organised or good enough to try and contain Spain that way.<br /><br />-- Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:32 am --<br /><br />
danburge82 said:
Ashley Young and James Milner had worse games than Glen Johnson.

Ashley Young is in with a good shout but Milner no way was he that bad.

Milner and Young did have bad games too, but Johnson was responsible for both goals - and that adds up to a shockingly bad game. He just doesn't seem to be aware of what's going on around him.

First Goal: It's a rare quality when you can say that a defender would have been better if he wasn't on the pitch. He was unlucky that Joe's save hit him, but he was simply not paying attention when he didn't push out after the goal.

Second Goal: Watch it again and tell me what he was supposed to be doing? He's the England player in the position to clear the ball, and he doesn't even jump. It's not like it happened too quickly - he has time to turn around and watch Mellberg head into the net. Might his time have been better spent trying to head the ball?

He had an occasionally eye-catching display because he is quick enough to make last ditch tackles, and recovery tackles always look more impressive than being in the right place before the ball arrives.

Can't post the picture from BBC website at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18181790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18181790</a> but here is the stats

Name........lost possession.....gained
Young ......18......................6
Carroll........18.....................4
Gerrard.......17.....................10
Parker.........13.....................3
Cole............12....................15

Most of Carrolls lost possession i would guess are because of the ball being punted to his head. The others, for supposedly the best midfielders in England are frigging woeful. I didn't realise Gerrard and Young gave away so much possession, Gerrard for Hollywood passes and Young & Parker becasue they were dogshit.

If we go on to win this tournament I will be gobsmacked, I'll be amazed if we get past the 1st round out of the group stages based on that performance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.