europa cup

conormcfc said:
MCFC BOB said:
Damo, you're better with stats than I am, who was the last team from England, Italy, Spain or Germany to win the Europa League/UEFA Cup and win its domestic league in the same season?

It never happens because, unlike us, the top teams from these countries usually progress to the latter rounds of the CL therefore have no chance of actually winning the Europa League in the first place.

You say we aren't strong enough to compete on 2 fronts. Go and compare our squad to the rag squad from the 10/11 season that won the league, got to the final of the CL and the semis of the FA cup and tell me who's group of players is the stronger of the 2.

Last Team to win that Competition and their domestic league Valencia, 9 years is n't that long considering what Conor has said BOB and when you consider that Valencia won it against the two most domestically dominant sides outside of the Old firm and they had to meet a Marseille team containing Drogba in the final, so it was hardly Porto v Braga.If Benitez could do it in spain with Los Che then surely Mancini can do it with City?

Hope we get through to it but we need to beat Dortmund to do so (Ajax always get massacred by Real) which is a very, very, very difficult ask. Mancini said tonight that is the target.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Damanino said:
Hopefully Dortmund will play their B team and they wont really care.

Last year it worked against Bayern.

Only difference about 80.000 people will go out for this match in Dortmund and front of them they probably wont play their B team.

If they play their best team I wouldnt bet huge money on a City win. We didnt beat anyone so far in the group home or away when it was about the CL qualification.
dont think EL qualification gives that much more ambition to the team.

From another point of view it would be good for extra European experience and coeff points. We need both.

The Germans would like nowt better than to get a double over the English champions. I'd be very surprised if they put out a reserve side. They will send the strongest message to any team still left in that if they have designs on winning the CL then they will have to overcome Borussia - clearest message is winning handsomely every match and every leg!

Dortmund plays Bayern away the Saturday prior to this match and the match against you is Tuesday. They certainly will not play a B-team on Saturday. So it might be that they rest some of their players. But another scenario could happen when they loose Saturday - what I hope - they might need to prove themselves...

LoveCity said:
Hope we get through to it but we need to beat Dortmund to do so (Ajax always get massacred by Real) which is a very, very, very difficult ask. Mancini said tonight that is the target.

spot on, if Mancini believes he can compete in the EL and the league then surely fans should as well, after this year I don't want to have the opportunity to win it again, but it is the best we can hope at the moment so why not grab it. Do we have a squad good enough, yes, so really there is no excuse not to try.

I've seen a few people saying they'd prefer us not to go in it for fear of it costing us the league.....the players will be tired... My honest answer is what have we done in Europe that makes us to good for the Europa League? The answer is nothing. Its only 2 games (1 round) more than the champions league from now IF we get in it. We have the squad to cope with it and the league tiredness shouldn't come into it with sensible rotation. Also if we do well it will help our co efficent meaning less chance of another tough champions league draw.

Odds on if we make it to the final those that can would be in Amsterdam for the final.

Might be an idea to resign from every cup competition seems like some of our fans think we're not good enough to play in em and win the league, to think i spent 30 years just dreaming of playing in Europe. Well sorry i a'int going to Dortmund hoping for City to bloody lose.

i kne albert davy said:
Might be an idea to resign from every cup competition seems like some of our fans think we're not good enough to play in em and win the league, to think i spent 30 years just dreaming of playing in Europe. Well sorry i a'int going to Dortmund hoping for City to bloody lose.

Exactly. The people who hope we don't get into the Europa League are more than likely not going to the game.

I can understand people's opinions on the competition and its effect domestically but I believe with the squad we have the pros outweigh the cons.

i kne albert davy said:

Problem is Bobby will just play the second string. What about the Manchester derby last year in the FA Cup, Pantillimon in the nets!! The League Cup this year the team weren't arsed. I've signed up to all the cup schemes the last thing I want is to pay £40 for a ticket at home in the Europa league and the team not give a shite!

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Problem is Bobby will just play the second string.

Who says? We played very strong teams against Porto and Sporting last season, Mancini doesn't disrespect the competition like many Premier League managers do. We've been a bit unlucky both times we've gone out recently (Kiev, Sporting).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.