European Super League | ECJ rule that UEFA and FIFA acted unlawfully in blocking Super League (p 29)

It seems to me like other than Real and Barca who are begging for cash, pretty much everybody else has given them the elbow and their competition looks like a naive pipe dream. And I don’t see any evidence that’s going to change, especially in this country where the government is just going to legislate against it anyway.

How can this ever work if even one league refuses to send its teams? It breaks the whole concept of a pan-European league.

Total non-starter. Will be forgotten about in a few years and then they’ll try again and everybody will tell them to fuck off again. Repeat into eternity.
They said that about golf and darts.

They said that about golf and darts.
Yeah but they are individual sports and completely different to football where the vast majority especially in England are opposed to this,more so after the first attempt at a breakaway which didn’t go down to well..seems that around Europe there are ones more open to this,would it be partly they look at the vast amounts of revenue created by the premier league which absolutely dwarfs the other leagues nearly combined,if it’s not broken don’t fix it ..

Yeah but they are individual sports and completely different to football where the vast majority especially in England are opposed to this,more so after the first attempt at a breakaway which didn’t go down to well..seems that around Europe there are ones more open to this,would it be partly they look at the vast amounts of revenue created by the premier league which absolutely dwarfs the other leagues nearly combined,if it’s not broken don’t fix it ..
I don't think there's a vast majority. On the contrary, the red clubs and their fans would love it, anything, literally anything to be back on top.

Credit where credit is due etc. Liverpool fans were very vocal with their opposition to the ESL. There were demonstrations outside Anfield.

I was living there at the time and it’s all we were talking about in the pub. Near unanimous against.

For the Rosette wearing, Ken Baily, dewy eyed, Accrington Stanley longing fans of yesteryear, the saying is -if it ain't broke don't fix it. Unfortunately it is broke and the only people wanting it fixed want it fixed for the usual favoured clubs only.
If Gary, Neville, Jamie Carragher, Sky, Gary Lineker, Talkshite, The Beep, GDM etc are dead against it........count me in.
The current custodians = Fine after fine, bent decision after bent decision, 115 trumped up charges, the constant undermining and moving of goalposts to disrail us, the disrespect we're shown etc. - and some are happy to stay. I give up.

Last edited:
For the Rosette wearing, Ken Baily, dewy eyed, Accrington Stanley longing fans of yesteryear, the saying is -if it ain't broke don't fix it. Unfortunately it is broke and the only people wanting it fixed want it fixed for the usual favoured clubs only.
If Gary, Neville, Jamie Carragher, Sky, Gary Lineker, Talkshite, The Beep, GDM etc are dead against it........count me in.
Fine after fine, bent decision after bent decision, 115 trumped up charges, the constant undermining and moving of goalposts to disrail us, the disrespect we're shown etc. - and some are happy to stay. I give up.
And you think a real madrid/barca vanity project and cash grab is gonna suddenly stop us being the pariah team amongst the elitist clubs?

We will be treated no different by press and especially cunts like perez, if thats what we want fiar enough but then I give up

Is that it, though? Again, I haven't read the ruling yet, but as the governing body it is well established that UEFA can have regulations that impose conditions on licensing new tournaments under the European Sports Model in order to protect the wider game, isn't it? And protecting the domestic leagues and the underlying pyramid, I would have thought, is where the ESL will fall down. I thought this judgment was only that no such regulations were in place last time, so there was no legal basis to prevent it? Now there are such regulations, I believe.

Of course, I may be wrong.
If you can find it you should read the ruling. The ECJ found that FIFA and UEFA had acted unlawfully when it threatened to punish players and clubs joining the super league. The governing bodies should be more open to competition and had abused a dominant position. There is no place for arbitrary rules to prevent competition. The ruling clearly shows the subjection of the game in Europe to European competition law, so it also rules that new competitions are subject to the same law. The ECJ found that “rules making any new interclub football project subject to their (UEFA's and/or FIFA's prior approval . . . are unlawful”.

As I've said earlier I think this is of massive importance for UEFA, which for years now has behaved with an arrogant belief that it is above the law and the assumption that what suits it is the law. It has in effect ceased being a regulatory body and become almost a commercial rival to the majority of European clubs while courting the favour and support of a few. It needs to wake up and realise that if its football pyramid is the retain the support of the football loving public, of the clubs which they watch then it has to be a genuine governing body rather than what it often seems - a bunch of cowardly get rich quick merchants.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.