Everton (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

When we failed to score from a very good chance in the first half, I dreaded the worst, & when Everton scored, I thought we were going to struggle, & the team’s exploits at the Club World Cup catch up with them.
With Haaland, KDB, & Doku out, City have lacked that clinical edge to take chances & kill games off of late, but the team dug in, players stepped up, & Foden’s stunning equaliser was well deserved for the increased intensity in the 2nd half. Some Pundits have said City were gifted opportunities from Everton’s mistakes, failing to see that City’s pressure creates those mistakes, Pickford always has a mistake or 2 in him, his distribution isn’t the best at times, especially under pressure, so I’m sure he was targeted.
Everton we’re actually the form team coming into this fixture, at home, still fired up by the 20 points deduction, against a much travelled & weakened City team, on a poor run of form, so that is an excellent result that keeps City well in touch the leaders.
With the talk of Brailsford & marginal gains at Utd, if you’re going to equate City with anyone, it’s Mark Cavendish, tucked in behind the leaders ready, coiled & ready to pounce.

That win still feels huge this morning. The last 20 minutes of the first half was a depressing replay of how we have played in the league for much of the last few weeks but in the second half it was as if they collectively thought 'WTF, we're the champions'.

Surely we kick on now and even if we don't win the league we make sure the team that does has earned it rather than just throwing it away. The other good news is that there is no dominant team running away with it so even after this poor spell we are still in the mix.

Am I the only one who thinks Everton scored because Rodri was pushed? (Rodri thought so.)
Rodri was tumbling from a challenge, but played the ball pretty blind in the general direction of Walker, who wasn't there, when he could've cleared it.

I'm happy to call that error as a rare Rodri mistake, but he more than makes up for it by being our most important player.

Doubt crept into this team over the last few weeks. Second half yesterday when we got the third, the confidence returned. The football returned and it was like the team returned. Phil was magnificent pulling all the strings. A very David S performance that, and with an end product. If Phil can play at this level each week we will take some stopping. Lovely touch by Pep, giving Phil the plaudits in front of the fans, that will have meant a lot to him.

Keeps happening & keeps getting called out by pundits etc. Don't see any advantage in delaying the flag.
The call was very tight yesterday, I think it is just one of those things. The linesman ‘thinks’ it’s offside but can’t be certain so has to let play carry on until he gives his decision once the goalscoring opportunity has gone. If he’s uncertain, but flags straight away and then is proven wrong, we might as well ditch VAR for offsides completely. I don’t have an issue with that but it returns us to scenarios like Spurs a few years ago where the winger was 2 yards offside on the right wing, a goal was scored and there was no way of ruling it out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.