Everton (a) post-match thread

I wouldn't have been surprised if the penalty was given, but there is some doubt about exactly where it hit his arm - if it's on his sleeve, then it's not a penalty. If it hit below his sleeve, then it has to be deliberate for a pen to be given.

I think he was trying to control it with his chest, but the spin of the ball caught him out and it hit his arm, so in this case not deliberate.

Still, what do I know? All of those so-called experts, like Shearer, say it was definitely a pen, so it must have been. Unless he's just a c*nt.
most accurate assessment so far. Is "deliberate" a crucial factor? There have been incidents which conflict with each other. His arms were in a natural position for someone maintaining balance and readiness to react; without a doubt the spin on the ball caused it to hit his upper arm instead of his chest. Was there two off-sides, one before and one after?

I don't think Kev warrants a starting place?

He will always come up with a moment of class to remind us, goal against Chelsea, case in point.

But he's more liability than threat for a while now.

He doesn't have the type of fitness which allows him to get about the midfield and recover transitions, usually when he has lost the ball

I do think we have taken a backwards steps in terms of cohesion in the midfield not having Bernie and Foden playing in the engine room.

It becomes even more pronounced when them and Gundo are also being asked to play high, or at least naturally gravitating towards the attack end.

Kev is a big game player but I have felt for a while we may have already seen his peak, whilst all the time he will always give world class reminders.

He is the solution and also the cause at times, similar to how Toure was after his peak, teams know he won't/can't get back in.
That’s why, if he plays, the false 9 is where he should be.

Yes. I'm sure you will come up with a reason we didn't but if we are sticking to what happened over the 90 mins then we deserved the points by every metric you could ever wish to use.
Us not being bang at it and playing at our very best doesn't mean we didn't deserve the points when you look at how the game went.
Everton not getting a debated pen changes fuck all.
It’s a penalty I wouldn’t have wanted, were it in the other box. There was nobody near him when it may have hit his arm and nothing about it hitting him changed anything at all.
Mind you, it does make you wonder whether the referees really do have it in for us, as it would have been very, very easy to give that decision, if they’d been ‘under orders’.

Sorry that's awfully wrong. The ball didn't go out for a corner. An Everton player keeps it in, recycles it, gets a pass played back to him and is offside receiving it. The flag goes up the ref gives the offside and goes back to review the potential penalty.

No obvious error is deemed to have taken place so he restarts play with the offside he gave.

As discussed before they would only have looked at the Richarleson offside if the handball was deemed a handball.
Exactly this. And we would have known what was going on because they would have stopped showing the VAR of the handball and started showing the offside check with lines and evryfink.

That’s the same rule in rugby league. If VAR can’t 100% prove the ref wrong, the onfield decision remains.

Kavanagh was the VAR in both these incidents so he’s being consistent with the law n’all which is a positive.
I go on about this a lot, but handball as a rule was a way of stopping people picking up the ball and running with it like they did at a rival school. But it has always been a bit of a mess because it wasn't designed to do anything other than stopping blokes picking up the ball and running with it. They've tried to firm it up with the t-shirt line rule, but there always going to be grey areas. But I think in the broadest terms possible your upper arm/shoulder area can't give you that much control over the ball. Coaches aren't going to be having players do drills on it. But any rule you put in will have grey areas because football ain't a scientific sport.

Exactly this. And we would have known what was going on because they would have stopped showing the VAR of the handball and started showing the offside check with lines and evryfink.

They only check for off-side if its handball. VAR said it wasnt handball so dont need to go back and check for any off side !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.