Everton (H) | Post Match Thread

God forbid we actually sign a decent left footed left back.

What a novel idea!

I'd no dobut be classed as a happy clapper or some such but I am annoyed that we do not seem to be making that an absolute priority for this window. Just hoping that City are trying to do something under the radar but not expecting them to.

Nah. Their goal came about because Rodri was forced into a pass he didn’t want to make which allowed Everton to intercept and break on us.
Can’t blame the defence for conceding one chance when the attacking game produced so many opportunities that we didn’t take advantage of

Not interested in blaming people but I think the defenders could have done better. There were cumulative errors, which is, I think, often the casw whne we concede and that has to be avoided. Mistakes will happen but when one has occurred, it is imperative not to compund the issue.

We are too cautious. Yesterday we should have had an extra forward on from the start probably Alvarez.We know they are going to defend so let's use more attackers give em something to think more about

Actually I do think that's a problem. Many, many teams have known how to score one goal and then see the game out. May be boring, but you should know how to do it. Clean sheets have become a rare thing with us. We had several in October, and they've been diminishing since. Look at our results in November and December. Especially in the league.
It's a problem, and the team and manager should be worried about it.
Of course its not great that we concede more than usual, but if we only concede 0.08 xG like yesterday thats really good and so low its more or less impossible to concede fewer chances. I see it as a far bigger issue that we are not creating enough against a prime relegation candidate at home. If you allow one shot on goal there is always that small chance of it going in. Thats why you have to create a lot more chances yourself to make sure a win is not dependent on such small margins. At least not against teams like Everton at home.

Lots of seldom seen posters offering their opinions on the game, and our title chances. Which is fine. They're perfectly entitled to do so. It is a forum, after all. My question would be, why weren't they offering opinions in the Centurions' season? Or the fourmidables campaign? Maybe, shock horror, they get more pleasure in complaining, rather than complimenting?

Live and let live.....Nowt stranger than folk.

I wonder if the players will be having a meeting like when Ferna got them together a few seasons ago. They can't be happy with what they're seeing either.

1 shot on goal, 1 goal. I've seen this game countless times before and we're still no closer to cracking this particular nut.

You could see early on this was likely to happen with just no real energy, just passing it about for passings sake at times. I know why we do it but we barely created anything and had zero energy either. No wonder Haaland was frustrated and was lucky with that sliding challenge and at first sight it looked like a red to me.

Grealish and Mahrez offered very little down the flanks as usual. I've said it before about Grealish but he's a good player, but isn't the player for us. I think he's under instruction not to lose the ball, but why buy a player who's game is dribbling? He offered next to no attacking threat at all. He's not a goalscorer and barely creates anything. He needs to go to a team where they will play to his strengths. Mahrez is Mahrez and is capable of brilliance and absolutely nothing. Poor old Lewis has his work cut out behind Mahrez!

We look so out of sorts at times, I'm sure it's the system. We rarely have games where one player has a poor game, it's usually the whole team like we saw yesterday.

If we're not careful, we risk letting Liverpool catch us up, as well as Arsenal get a bumper lead. There's also a number of teams like United, Newcastle and Spurs who are all going to have very good seasons.We need to start a nice run and I think we're going to need 90 points again.

It was a real disappointing end to the year, hopefully this is a kick up the arse for Pep.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what happened. The only video I've watched is the short highlights on the City website, I couldn't be doing with MotD etc yesterday. I suspect they got caught out by Gray stopping, which I'm not sure was clever or just a case of him not being sure what to do, but after his slip he found he had time and space to shoot.

Maybe Stones though the ball would go wide and was looking to position himself to deal with that.

Bottom line is someone should have closed Gray down. Annoying thing is that, even so, 9 out of 10 times, he would not have hit a shot that good.

I've not seen the error that gave them the ball in the first place on video but IIRC it was Rodri, who doesn't often lose the ball in bad positions.

All in all, despite not being at our best, City were very unfortunate to drop points yesterday. I've tried to wipe Brentford from memory but that's still for me the only game where an opponent took points off us that were all merited and that is despite us not finding our best form this season.

City do need to raise their game somewhat but we also need the breaks to even out: we do not have a single point on the board that has not been merited. Newcastle gave us a tough game at their place but were hanging on with their fans begging for the whistle at the end.

Every game is a big game for us, because it always seems like we cannot afford to drop points and are going to need near record breaking totals to win the damn league, but the next few games really are BIG and will tell us a lot about where our team really is at this season. Arsenal have only dropped points in two games so far this season and if they can keep that up, we'll just have to make sure Arteta can be persuaded to come back to City when Pep leaves.
Yeah I think we will know more by the end of January one way or another.

Reactions: OB1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.