Everton Post Match Thread

Here are the after match comments from Martinez.

"We have been on the back end of receiving a penalty, in the last seconds against Stoke," said the Spaniard. "Stones goes to slide to block the ball, Sterling does not play the ball and waited. In my eyes it is an area that is not certain if it's a penalty or not. I believe the referees should control their emotions and the referee did exactly that. It is impossible to be 100% certain and I am pleased he did this and showed his maturity."

What utter rubbish. The referee is there to apply the laws of the game, which say if there is a foul by a player in his own penalty area, then a penalty should be awarded against him. The referee is not there to control his own emotions, whatever that might mean.

How did Sterling not play the ball? He was in possession of it, and Stones didn't touch it. It is as clear a penalty as you will ever see. But even if the ball was with Joe Hart, it was still a foul in the penalty area, and the correct decision was a penalty.

Mind you, Martinez has history for talking absolute nonsense about City. When Weimann scored that offside goal for Villa against us in 2013 he commented that the linesman "did well to allow it to play". In other words, he did well to miss the offside. Funny, I've never heard him compliment a referee for failing to spot an offside against Everton. The clip is here, after 29 minutes.
http://www.footballorgin.net/2013/09/premier-league-2013-2014-watch-online_28.html

I've no time for the man. He just makes up stuff to suit his own agenda. He has no integrity or legitimacy in my eyes, but he strives to come across as erudite and knowledgeable.

I remember Martinez being a sore loser when we defeated them at Goodison early in the season. He was a likeable character once. I think he is feeling the pressure at Everton as the likes of Leicester, Watford, Crystal Palace, West Ham are performing better than them.

Disappointing result really, Everton are a f**king bore to watch, time wasting after 10 minutes, foul after foul (many not given), looking to nick a goal on the break, and then defend with 10 behind the ball, the longer it went the more I feared the worst, so that was a positive I guess. We were pretty unlucky, Howard 3 good saves, 1 he knew nothing about, at least 1 penalty not given, and how many blocks did they get in ? Dreadful officials as usual, but they were as bad for Everton as they were us (penalty apart).

Expect the same in another couple of weeks as they already have a goal advantage. If we don't beat Everton in the next game, it will look really bad on Pellegrini and this team for not winning against Everton in 3 attempts in a month (2 of them at home as well)

Disappointing result really, Everton are a f**king bore to watch, time wasting after 10 minutes, foul after foul........

Everton have perfected time wasting so much that it is barely noticed with Howard being the master at it.

My thoughts on the game:
  • KDB was shite today. Guy just looks knackered from the first minute. Although the very few chances we had today, he had a part of it. But those magic KDB passes was nowhere to be found.

• Fernando was doing a pretty good job. His passing wasn't the best but defended well.

• Toure played well and looked active............... for the first 30 mins only.

• Clichy was bollocks on offense. Couldn't cross to save his life. But on the other hand you can see quite clearly how much better Clichy is than Kolarov on defense. Clichy had Deulofeu in his pockets the whole night.

• Aguero could do a little better with his finishing. Any other day when the keeper wasn't as in form as Howard he probably would've scored. Still though couldn't blame him much as our midfield didn't supply him with enough chances.

• We would've been dead without Otamendi last night. One man defence all by himself. Joe Hart should buy him dinner.

• Sterling looked like our best player. Always looks dangerous whenever he has the ball. Still I would've liked him to take on the defenders a little more often, especially on the counter attack.
This is what I saw as our no. 1 fault last night. Whenever we had a chance to counter attack, Sterling has the ball and he's 1 on 1 with the defender, he would wait for reinforcement before making something happen. By the time that comes, the Everton players would already be back. And honestly it's almost impossible to score against a team that has 10 players inside their penalty box, unless we took some long shot attempts from outside the penalty (which we should've done more I reckon).

1st half we didn't press them enough making them look dangerous on the counter attack. Still had some opportunities ourselves but we lived too dangerously to my likening. 2nd half is how we should press and how Pellegrini wants to see it. Nothing more Everton could do other than park the buss. They did so we needed to keep Sterling and Navas on to keep width. KdB didn't have his best of games. In smaller spaces l think Silva is a better option so to sub KdB was a mere logic decision. In the end it was just waiting for that little break and luck we simply didn't get. Yes Pellegrini could've brought on Ihaenacho but that was a choice to take Aguero of or not. Kolarov for Clichy was another option. Or -and that is what he did- don't change the situation and wait for that moment we all know often arises. Unfortunately not this time. Unless the ref would've been brave enough to accept what was stonewall.
Martinez acted like a coward after the game. Pity as l thought he was one of a few decent managers left.

i can only say the ref bottled it, plain and simple
i just hope everton have run out of bullets to dodge and we get our just rewards in the 2nd leg of the semi.

on a positive, first home league clean sheet since the end of august

Used to be a fan but Martinez can fuck off with those comments.

Imagine not having the grace to accept that your side got lucky, and making out another player tried to cheat instead.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.