Everton to demand FA dock Manchester City points over Lescot

All this stuff about who made it public first really is irrelevant. City had been briefing the press about it left, right, and centre anyway, and would inevitably have mentioned it at some point as it was a perfectly legal, official, and justifiable bid.

Everton's claim will be that we contacted Lescott (directly or indirectly) regarding the details of the contract on offer before Everton gave us permission to do so. That, of course, will be entirely true. Proving it will be a completely different matter though.

anyway, that's all kind of beside the point. making a bid is perfectly acceptable. revealing that you have made a bid is also acceptable.

Moyes is intent on creating a stink to hide the truth. He either could not, or would not, keep Lescott happy at Everton, once City showed the seriousness of their interest in him. If Moyes was intent on keeping the player, it would be normal under the circumstances to praise the player in public, to let the press and public know that you were trying to persuade him of the club's potential, or perhaps even make offer improved terms. Moyes appears to have made no effort whatsoever to keep Lescott happy.

Perhaps this is a concious decision to send a message to all players, 'do not expect special treatment just because another club shows an interest.

Perhaps. It seems more likely to me, however, that Moyes had no serious intention of retaining the player, that his protestations to the contrary amounted to little more than a bargaining position. I suspect that his allegations and threats are little more than a smokescreen to pacify fans, garner sympathy, and reinforce Everton's position in the eyes of any club that takes an interest in on of their players in the future. (*cough* hugheswantsartetainjanuary *cough*)

Dubai Blue said:
All this stuff about who made it public first really is irrelevant. City had been briefing the press about it left, right, and centre anyway, and would inevitably have mentioned it at some point as it was a perfectly legal, official, and justifiable bid.

Everton's claim will be that we contacted Lescott (directly or indirectly) regarding the details of the contract on offer before Everton gave us permission to do so. That, of course, will be entirely true. Proving it will be a completely different matter though.

but indirect contact is acceptable. that's what makes the whole business of 'tapping up'
a nonsense. if you have intermediaries who both sides trust completely, 'legal' communication can be as effective as an 'illegal approach'.

It's just noise to try and impress their fans, and a cover for him having to back down, does anyone really think that the Dippers would want to get into a protracted legal battle, given the state of their finances?

There has to be a line somewhere. Clubs can't keep bidding on a player that is not for sale.

Whilst there is no precedent for the FA taking this sort of action, I can't say City exactly come out smelling of roses.

And! Lescott is no way worth 22million.

mammutly said:
There has to be a line somewhere. Clubs can't keep bidding on a player that is not for sale.

Whilst there is no precedent for the FA taking this sort of action, I can't say City exactly come out smelling of roses.

It never stopped Chelsea or the Rags did it

Course they can keep bidding on a player that's not for sale. Ronaldo at the rags wasn't for sale, Whiskey Nose wouldn't sell them a virus and you know the rest. It's happened with players before and it'll happen again!

If the FA want to take legal action then make no mistake we'll employ the best legal team we possibly can!

Ducado said:
mammutly said:

It never stopped Chelsea or the Rags did it

I don't say it hasn't been done before. But that doesn't make it right.

Sooner or later the FA are going to have to take a stand on the issue.

But if they take a stand on the issue then they'll have to backdate it to the rags and Chelsea, it's as simple as that really. Jon Obi Mikel being the biggest example of a cock up!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.