Everton V City Post Match Thread

City1974 said:
Think we will just fall short in the title race, if we should now fail to beat Arsenal and then Chelsea in the next 2 league games.

Played OK yesterday, but need to be more clinical when in control of the game and take chances. Hopefully Aguero can do this in the next 2 league games for us with Kompany adding a little more for us in defence.

On current evidence Jovetic just seems short of the high standards we want now from all our players. If we can get to after the Chelsea game level or ahead or even only 2 points off, them maybe Bony (if we sign him) + Aguero will fire us to the Title. (with Edin as backup chipping in when required) and a settled central pair of Kompany + Demichelis or Kompany + Mangala.

If after the Arsenal and Chelsea games we are 4 + points behind the leaders I think that may well be it, and we then need to ensure finishing above Trafford.

No idea why you would say this after the experience of our title-winning seasons. We have shown the ability to last the course and finish better than our rivals and no reason why we won't do the same again. Key is our core staying fit. We can cope without 1 or 2 for short periods of time, but over a long stretch, extended absences will take their toll.

Lets see how Chelsea deal with two games vs Liverpool just before our game with them..........be a bit leggy and there for the taking IMO.

welsh_andy said:
strangely enough i feel much better today, maybe a result down the road made me feel a ickle better, haha

So do I! Can't think why?

It is considerate of the rags to end my weekend on a high! (All too regular an occurrence)

Bluemanc100 said:
chicagoblues said:
Bluemanc100 said:
Page 3.... Crap subs and Nasri strolled off like we were winning
What do you expect when our manager sends in a defender with two or three minutes remaining ? It is understood Pelle was happy with just a point but you still manage to take a dig at Nasri .

Did Nasri stroll off? Maybe he put Kolarov on to drill some balls in?!

His defending of late has been debateable and I prefer him going forward instead

Regardless, a sub with 2 mins of OT remaining is farcical

I've come to conclude using principles of logic that if Sam the Eagle had his magic 8-ball out as we entered injury time he would have realised that if we win all our remaining matches we will end up champions, and so he subbed Nasri so he could walk-down the clock, virtually guaranteeing ourselves the point & giving us 'a clear run in' to the title leaving everything firmly within our own hands...

.. live long & prosper

;o)

Scaring Europe to Death said:
ono said:
The number of ridiculous free kicks we give away around the penalty is nothing short of amateur. Zabaleta is the main one for this.

Correct, but it's a brave man who criticises Zabalrta on this website. He did the same thing at Leicester and Southampton, but thankfully we weren't punished.

Same with Mangala and given our worrying trend of conceding from set pieces it's becoming a concern.

I think some refs are biased against Zabba. Sure he makes some really tough challenges but he gets penalised when players just fall over when he goes near them. Cast your mind back to the Chelsea game when he got a yellow for a "supposed' foul on Costa, watch the replay and you'll see that Costa deliberately stretched out his leg to make it seem that Zabba had tripped him.

I've just watched a RECAP of the game and for the life of me I could not see a foul by Zabba that lead to Everton getting a free kick and resultant goal. At the time during the game I thought it was an Everton throw and I still think so. The TV angle I am looking at seems to show Zabba getting the ball and it is going out of play and the Everton player stumbles and falls. I wish we were awarded free kicks as soft as that one in danger areas.

Even so, our defending of that set piece was sloppy and if we hadn't missed so many opportunities in the first half it would only have been a consolation. The curse of Goodison yet again.

Bluekiwi said:
Scaring Europe to Death said:
ono said:
The number of ridiculous free kicks we give away around the penalty is nothing short of amateur. Zabaleta is the main one for this.

Correct, but it's a brave man who criticises Zabalrta on this website. He did the same thing at Leicester and Southampton, but thankfully we weren't punished.

Same with Mangala and given our worrying trend of conceding from set pieces it's becoming a concern.

I think some refs are biased against Zabba. Sure he makes some really tough challenges but he gets penalised when players just fall over when he goes near them. Cast your mind back to the Chelsea game when he got a yellow for a "supposed' foul on Costa, watch the replay and you'll see that Costa deliberately stretched out his leg to make it seem that Zabba had tripped him.

I've just watched a RECAP of the game and for the life of me I could not see a foul by Zabba that lead to Everton getting a free kick and resultant goal. At the time during the game I thought it was an Everton throw and I still think so. The TV angle I am looking at seems to show Zabba getting the ball and it is going out of play and the Everton player stumbles and falls. I wish we were awarded free kicks as soft as that one in danger areas.

Even so, our defending of that set piece was sloppy and if we hadn't missed so many opportunities in the first half it would only have been a consolation. The curse of Goodison yet again.

Swings and roundabouts isn't it. Makes up for the soft Milner penalty. I had a feeling it would right itself this game in some way.

mosssideblue said:
ono said:

I agree we do give uneccesary free kicks away in dangerous areas (as most clubs do to be honest). A lot of the free kicks awarded against us though, dare I say, might not be awarded to other "media favoured" clubs, if you get my drift.

Commentators used to remark on how big City's team is. But our line up when we conceded the free kick included Aguero, Silva, Navas, Nasri & Clichy. On another day it might have included Dzeko, Yaya, Kompany and Kolarov. Obviously not all of those players were available and I dont think we should select purely on height. But it did seem we were particularly vulnerable when we conceded the free kick.

Could we get a bit of perspective on this?
You want to know what happened at Goodison? What happened was very simple. The stats of nine shots (as against their three, all on target) and nine corners with no product whatsoever tell us most of what we need to know. [These do not correspond to the BBC website. They were what were being given on the City OS matchday page. Either way, it's the same point].
The minor miracle that we’ve been living through for the past four weeks had to come to an end at some point. Completely deprived of our strike force, and our captain (also recognised, incidentally, as one of the three or four best central defenders in the world), for about a month, not only did we not capitulate to our main rival — as we had done by this point in 2012-13 — but we caught them up. That is, I repeat, of the order of a minor miracle. It so happens that that strike force, and that defender, are coming back at exactly the right time. Add to that the addition of Bony after the ACON.
We got a point away, we should have got more, but in the scheme of things, it was far less annoying than the Burnley result at our place; our rivals took the three points at home. All this is pretty much par for the course. Certainly, title winners win virtually all their home games, and a fair proportion of their away games. In case anybody’s stopped noticing, that’s exactly what we’ve done over the past twelve or so matches, in all competitions.
No question: the next two games are huge. We need four points from those two games to keep the pressure on. Sergio and Vinny back, Edin waiting in the wings, everybody finally — finally! — fit, that is definitely doable, and I am expecting nothing less. Less than that would, realistically, start to see the title slipping away. Not gone, but slipping.
I am not minimising the problems on show at Goodison. Joe pulls out two or three top drawer saves, and then makes one of his stupid errors of judgement. Goal. The one player that I was certain would bloom this season — Jovetic — well, reluctantly, I have to admit, it just isn’t happening. He’s had plenty of playing time, the overall impression is that he’s busy, but to no great effect. There were times when Lukaku seemed to be owning Mangala. But their goal did not come from that. It came from a set piece, and that has happened just a bit too often to us over the past couple of seasons. Navas has done an awful lot of good work as a defender, but I thought he was supposed to be an attacking player? He has scored once, and once only, this season, in the COC against Wednesday.
But the build up play was good, as you would expect from a midfield of this quality. What was lacking was up front . The ‘front’ is now in harness. Two huge games — four points to stay in the mix. Keep the faith.

Overall I think we did well to come away from Goodison with a point considering they put in their best performance in the league so far this season. If they had shown as much commitment to the tackle, as much defensive organisation, as much desire in previous games they wouldn't be where they are in the league.

From our point of view, the only reason we didn't take 3 points is profligacy in the final third when the opportunities were raining our way - especially in the first half. In games like this a point is a good point because I expected Everton to actually nick the win.

Really disappointed but not surprised in the criticism which Mangala is getting. Lets be clear about something, on his day Lukaku is unplayable. Saturday was just that, his day. His strength, pace, movement, all would've caused any defender a huge headache. Under the circumstances I think Mangala did just fine and was no better/worse than anyone else who started for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.