Everton v City post match

So 8 years in to the plan and the club completely transformed, id say its been one hell of a success, even on the pitch with what we have won although its difficult to think like that after the game today and season so far in general.

I simply dont accept its all falling apart, sorry.

I don't want to accept it either but I must say I'm referring to on the pitch, I'm starting to believe Pep has got his fingers burnt and I don't believe the squad has the balls to help him out of it.

I think Guardiola overestimates our fullbacks, just like both Pellegrini and Mancini did.

Also, Barry/De Jong once covered the cracks by sitting in front and even then the back four wasn't immune. Then in came Garcia and it has been poor ever since. We also have the issue of playing such a high line, if we're clinical enough in front of goal then it's fine, but we don't have Suarez/Neymar/Messi at our expense. Nor is our squad on par with that of Pep's previous clubs.

Positives:

- We're probably not going to be relegated!
- We're only 3 points off second
- Our academy is one of the best in the world
- We're unlikely to go bankrupt any time soon
- We made it through the CL group stages!
- Judging by the posts in this thread many posters have had successful bowel movements today, which is important for overall health and well being

This is an old team which was excellent 3 years ago but looks thoroughly past it now. Give Pep the summer to ship out the dross and let's see how we are next next season.

He has made a few mistakes but he has a squad that isn't up to the demands of what it takes to be a top side in the premiership.

There are only a handful if that up to scratch.

It's well documented we have recruited poorly since 2012.

Sort of agree about the squad, but what did Pep do to correct it in the summer? Takes a gamble on a top-class but injury prone midfield player, which hasn't come off. Bought two promising young players in sane and stones, who, looking on from the outside, have not been managed and developed well (in and out of the side, dropped after decent showings, played in unfamiliar positions etc). Brings in a poorer alternative at GK. Didn't sign a full back when we're crying out upgrades there. Hasn't blooded any youngsters, and instead has played aging players out of position.

That's exactly what it is, and quite honestly I don't see it changing significantly any time soon. In fact, I'm far from convinced it'll have changed significantly in 12 months time even after a major transfer window, because our style of play is too easy for teams in this particular league to overcome. If you're a shambles like West Ham or you want to come out and try and give us a game like Arsenal, then sure, like as not we'll tear you a new one, but if you want to sit deep, keep your discipline, and then counterattack with power and pace then you'll turn us over again and again.

Put simply you cannot defend in this wide open fashion in English football, no matter who your defenders are, because virtually every team has got a lummox to relieve the pressure (Lukaku, King, Wickham, Giroud, Vokes, Slimani, Costa, Kane, Rondon, Carroll, Llorente, the list goes on and on) and midfielders with the pace and determination to get downfield and take advantage. Chuck in a keeper, who looks genuinely incapable of saving anything, and you've got a recipe for fuck all. If Pep thinks we were unlucky in any way today he's living in a fantasy world. We got precisely what we deserved (not for the first time) for a fatally flawed game plan, and we were undone again by opposition who didn't even have to be good to beat us, just organised and committed.

Good post. When he first arrived everyone was proclaiming that Pep would revolutionize the way football is played in England. What's happening now is the total opposite. We're so fragile and easy to score against that it's encouraging teams to hit it long to a big target man and. chase the second ball or flood forward in support of him. Teams are reverting back to tactics of 10-15 years ago. It's his tikka-takka style that's looking obsolete. It was only possible in Barca's star-studded team or the Spanish national equivalent of 2010/12 because those teams had the players to carry it off.

On the plus side I saved myself £30.

Apologies to the City fan who bought my ticket because I didn't apply for one and go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.