Expensive watches

Quite, but what if you've already bought all those things and still have money left over, can you spend it on an expensive watch then?!

What do you have in mind?
I'm pretty sure you have to keep purchasing more of at least 3 of those things. I need food every few hours.

well if you're raking it in..then your kids I guess is people's foremost thought.. after that? charity? people? give your surplus away to the less privileged?

Seems pretty standard.

well if you're raking it in..then your kids I guess is people's foremost thought.. after that? charity? people? give your surplus away to the less privileged?

Seems pretty standard.

If you've done all that, and loads of other worthy stuff, can you get one then?!

Spending money on expensive watches is ridiculous as cheap ones tell the time.
Spending money on expensive cars is ridiculous as cheap ones cover the same distance (in pretty much the same time given speed limits).
Spending money on expensive houses is ridiculous as cheaper ones provide shelter and warmth.
Fine for miserable unimaginative bastards; why do you support a football team that charges significantly more than local non-league teams to watch 22 men kick a bag of wind around?

Nobody mentioning much about craft, which perhaps says a lot about the modern throw away society. Nobody mentioning much about horologists, the wizards of micro engineering, engineering...you know...the thing that the male populace eulogise over..so deep is it in thier memory bank. Try getting a watch repairer in a shopping mall to turn you a balance staff (the prop that holds the engine), they'll look at you like you've gone out. Some expensive watches are cheap, the miniature polished false screws (bolts) found in the audemars piquet oak bezel are approx £10k a kilo in the trade..you can't buy less than a kilo. Rolex kop a lot of stick because of the day-date gold car-pitch watch of yesteryear...but thats only the seen...dig a little a deeper and plenty of thier vintage offerings look like works of art, afterall they were selling shockproof automatic waterproof chronometers in the mid 30's that did what they said on the tin...AP/Patek/blancpain, cartier, iwc, omega and virtually all the rest could'nt get anywhere near that sort of engineering leap. Women are into jewellery, males are into engineering.

The kid that bought the steel PP for three and quarter mill just recently...turned down half a mill profit..twice.

There's a big difference between one of them white plastic doors and a bespoke honduras mahogany door. They say if you've ever had a pair of shoes made for your plates you'd never go back to off the shelf. Pre 70 most watches were made in thier entirety by the name on the dial..by hand, no cnc herberts thinking they're the daddy back then, the decoration on the movement itself was executed by hand to give a viewer a sight of mirrored lines running across the bridges (cotes of geneve) with appropriate shadeing. shadeing in metal something akin to what your art teacher may have been able to pull off. Some of the serious more modern offering post 80 are housed with sapphire glass that's been treated enough times if it was being housed in a pair of glasses then they'd be half a grand spec's retail.

What US$3m buys you;

A bit out of my league, unfortunately. I've got a Seiko Sportura Kinetic watch; cost me €375, which was 25% off the list price, in a sale at H. Samuels. That, to me, is a lot to spend on a watch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.