Expensive watches

I received a Rolex many years ago for winning a sales competition at work, the company paid around £5 grand for it, I kept it for a few months, then flogged it for £3 grand to another salesman as I was skint at the time. Very nice, but a shit timekeeper for that kind of money, it used to lose around 5 minutes a week, and mates who have got them tell me exactly the same. Any of you minted plutocrats had the same problem?

5 mins a week is a lot, they're set-up factory to accept half a minute a week..in days gone by a good repairer would instruct a customer to clock how the watch is sited when on the bedside cabinet and notify him later if the losses are acheived when face down/up, crown down/up for him to rectify at the next service point and to rectify the losses themselves in the meantime by switching to the opposite position to the one seen to achieve the greatest losses/gains..essentially self correcting the watch by the day. Folk ask a lot from the humble watch, they'll go to the driving range wearing them and think nothing of sticking thier hands (watch) in the fridge/freezer

5 mins a week is a lot, they're set-up factory to accept half a minute a week..in days gone by a good repairer would instruct a customer to clock how the watch is sited when on the bedside cabinet and notify him later if the losses are acheived when face down/up, crown down/up for him to rectify at the next service point and to rectify the losses themselves in the meantime by switching to the opposite position to the one seen to achieve the greatest losses/gains..essentially self correcting the watch by the day. Folk ask a lot from the humble watch, they'll go to the driving range wearing them and think nothing of sticking thier hands (watch) in the fridge/freezer
For the sort of wedge you're expected to shell out for a Rolex, it's fucking ridiculous. My Seiko gains 3 or 4 seconds a month.

For the sort of wedge you're expected to shell out for a Rolex, it's fucking ridiculous. My Seiko gains 3 or 4 seconds a month.

Yeah i've heard that arguement before Jim, me pals got a nice lexus cost a few £, runs like a bag of shit, he wont pay for decent oil, will he fuck. Kid with a nice watch was waxing on about it to a pal of mine, he'd not give a lot for it, me pal pulled an unknown (history) RxGMT out of his shirt pocket and plopped it straight into a glass of lemonade and asked the kid was he game with his super-duper muffa kettle he could'nt shut-up about, he was'nt.

The right (wrong) half twatting to any watch will undo the factory set mode is the truth of the matter, i've got an early 50's simple precision non chronometer Rx that would half the gains you've mentioned above...but the oil gets dropped out of it every five yrs.

Yeah i've heard that arguement before Jim, me pals got a nice lexus cost a few £, runs like a bag of shit, he wont pay for decent oil, will he fuck. Kid with a nice watch was waxing on about it to a pal of mine, he'd not give a lot for it, me pal pulled an unknown (history) RxGMT out of his shirt pocket and plopped it straight into a glass of lemonade and asked the kid was he game with his super-duper muffa kettle he could'nt shut-up about, he was'nt.

The right (wrong) half twatting to any watch will undo the factory set mode is the truth of the matter, i've got an early 50's simple precision non chronometer Rx that would half the gains you've mentioned above...but the oil gets dropped out of it every five yrs.
Fair point, I guess. I suppose the more expensive the watch, the more care it would need.

I received a Rolex many years ago for winning a sales competition at work, the company paid around £5 grand for it, I kept it for a few months, then flogged it for £3 grand to another salesman as I was skint at the time. Very nice, but a shit timekeeper for that kind of money, it used to lose around 5 minutes a week, and mates who have got them tell me exactly the same. Any of you minted plutocrats had the same problem?

Mine loses around 30 seconds a week.

This is a major issue for me having to adjust it periodically.

Well at least this will be my argument when I hit the "go" on a Patek Philippe calatrava!

Here's another of mine which is a bit 'Marmite'

A Heuer Temporada

DC3EF8FE-9048-485C-A0BF-2A4A505CD5FF_zps22fez6ek.jpg

All relative... If you can afford to buy a watch for £100k and it floats your boat... Crack on

I have a Tag but prefer my Citizen Eco Drive..

I have been thinking about an Omega Planet Ocean and I'd love a Rolex Daytona as a collectors piece.. I prefer my old BMW cruiser Motorcycle however.. 15 years old, mint and much more fun

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.