Explosion at MEN Arena/Victoria Station

The building is Granby House, not granby row but is next to Granby Row. Granby House is closer to Princess Street

It doesn't offend me at all. Because it detracts from the thread. There is a separate thread that is more appropriate talking about religion.

I don't see the point of arguing about the history of religion in a thread about a developing story on this tragedy. Of missing people, raiding accomplices, new evidence. These are more important, than the intangible topic that has been argued to death in several previous threads.
And I'm sure if the mods agree they will remove both the original picture and my response.

Being known by intelligence services isn't the same as being suspected of, or doing anything wrong. A lot of these type of investigations involve links between "known" people and others and trying to work out whether or not they are meaningful or relevant.

If we start rounding up people known to intelligence services we're going to depriving the liberties of plenty of people just as innocent as anyone else, and that will only increase the terrorist threat imo.

To be honest, Twitter and social media is full of uneducated and immature attention seeking, with views of political solutions and xenophobia reasoning that they think would have stopped this happening.

I'd rather read stories of the proud Mancunians, the heroes on our streets and the pride and love shown for our great City.

We don't know all the facts, we may never know. But what we do know, even in the feelings of fear and hate we all feel, we have the strength not to give into it, but to show love and compassion, strength and unity to those that need it the most in this dark time.

I don't want to read hearsay, historical references to justify an opinion, or hatred to a group of people, who are as innocent, as a whole, as we are.

so in this time, and in respect, i will be ignoring posts and people making posts, i don't want to read.

I think we really do need to move away from the idea that you're a massive lefty or part of the PC brigade if you don't subscribe to the idea that anyone being under suspicion of being an ISIS sympathiser should be locked up indefinitely. It's more a case of wanting a course of action that actually works. I really couldn't care less what happens to any individual that supports the mass slaughter of innocent people and I really wouldn't lose sleep over the idea of somebody that supports ISIS or their viewpoint being locked up in a prison for the rest of their lives. The problem I have is that I don't think it would work and it would actually lead to further radicalisation of more people, something I think we all agree should be avoided. I think that in the vast majority of cases it would be nigh on impossible to identify who an actual supporter of ISIS is and innocent people would end up in prison. Now some people think a few innocents being locked up is an acceptable level of collateral damage if it prevents further atrocities (I agree, it probably would be the lesser of two evils). The problem is if you think locking up innocent people plays into the hands of terrorists and would lead to further radicalisation, then it doesn't make you a bleeding heart liberal to be against what he's suggesting, it's just common sense.
I think we really do need to move away from the idea that you're a massive lefty or part of the PC brigade if you don't subscribe to the idea that anyone being under suspicion of being an ISIS sympathiser should be locked up indefinitely. It's more a case of wanting a course of action that actually works. I really couldn't care less what happens to any individual that supports the mass slaughter of innocent people and I really wouldn't lose sleep over the idea of somebody that supports ISIS or their viewpoint being locked up in a prison for the rest of their lives. The problem I have is that I don't think it would work and it would actually lead to further radicalisation of more people, something I think we all agree should be avoided. I think that in the vast majority of cases it would be nigh on impossible to identify who an actual supporter of ISIS is and innocent people would end up in prison. Now some people think a few innocents being locked up is an acceptable level of collateral damage if it prevents further atrocities (I agree, it probably would be the lesser of two evils). The problem is if you think locking up innocent people plays into the hands of terrorists and would lead to further radicalisation, then it doesn't make you a bleeding heart liberal to be against what he's suggesting, it's just common sense.
"course of action that actually works". What action is this? Allowing extremists who obviously support isis to walk the streets? No, tighten the laws and remove them from society. Police shouldn't need a library full of evidence to lock a piece of scum up.

Long term solutions to stop radicalisation are all well and good...but what about short term? Do we just accept that this is a part of life now and hope it doesn't directly affect us or our close ones? Pretty bleak outlook...

And I'm sure if the mods agree they will remove both the original picture and my response.

Yes it's up to the mods to decide they so far have done quite good with pulling out posts that are moving a different tangent. Maybe move it to the next thread. I just don't think this thread should lose its core discussion about what's happening in Manchester.

As a parent of an 8 year old, I am anxious of how this is developing and of how we are dealing with it in the future. I am deeply saddened that children have become casualties of warped understanding, and angered because Manchester is an enclave of very good and caring people and there are a few individuals who seek to destroy it and impose doctrines that were not of these parts in the first place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.