F1 Season 2020.

I follow F1 but I don't pretend in anyway to know all about it.

Say you are a customer of Mercedes like WIlliams or Racing Point. Will these teams have the exact same spec engine as the main Mercedes team or is it a downgraded version or nerfed depending on the teams budget and how much they pay?

I imagine it's the same spec engine but the skill is around how to get the best out of it along with the whole aerodynamics of the car etc.

Just wondering as Williams are so far back on the grid, Racing Point are doing well but should be up there given they have last year's Merc car.

Say you are a customer of Mercedes like WIlliams or Racing Point. Will these teams have the exact same spec engine as the main Mercedes team or is it a downgraded version or nerfed depending on the teams budget and how much they pay?

I imagine it's the same spec engine but the skill is around how to get the best out of it along with the whole aerodynamics of the car etc.

Just wondering as Williams are so far back on the grid, Racing Point are doing well but should be up there given they have last year's Merc car.

I imagine the updates and modifications throughout a season to any engine will get rolled out into the works team first. Then filtered out to the rest of the other customer teams accordingly after that. They are the same engines and it helps Mercedes having all this extra data from 4 other cars.

Question on Williams being so far back may be down to wind tunnel testing. It’s expensive but getting the aero package right goes hand in hand with having the engine on top form as well. Racing Point has been testing their 2020 car in Mercedes’ wind tunnel facility. Robbing last years design alongside this has probably been one of the factors they are a lot closer to the front runners where Williams who didn’t have a pot to piss in before being bought out didn’t have that luxury.

same engine, but like you say maximising its performance in power delivery and then all the aero and chassis performance elements as well. Demonstrated by the Racing Point being a quicker car than the Mercedes in a straight line but Mercedes optimise their car for performance through the corners over a lap, and they obviously build the engine and design the whole car to maximise the design philosophy of their own creation. Customer teams get a really good engine but then have to figure out how to build the car around it, so are always a number of steps behind, hence Tracing Point trying to cut corners this season.

All customer engines must be the same spec...

there was a time when every team but Ferrari used a Cosworth V8 . most circuits downforce/handling is the deciding factor

Hope Ricciardo maintains 3rd, he deserves a podium.

Mental that Tracing Point are dropping Perez, we all know why but still mad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.