F1 Season 2021

I think your reaction to the shambles of yesterday says a lot about you as a person.
It’s fair to say those dismissing the sheer lack of integrity involved in reaching the result they did and celebrating a victory as hollow and undeserved as it was are not the type you’d want to spend too much time with or trust as far as you could throw.

A bit harsh

I find it odd in F1 that once the safety car is out (and the race essentially stopped) they include those laps. If the safety car is deployed why don’t they stop the lap count and resume once the safety car leaves?

It would have been equally farcical that Hamilton cruises to a victory with a safety car out.

I find it odd in F1 that once the safety car is out (and the race essentially stopped) they include those laps. If the safety car is deployed why don’t they stop the lap count and resume once the safety car leaves?

It would have been equally farcical that Hamilton cruises to a victory with a safety car out.
I might be wrong but I think it's about the fuel, cars would start to run out, especially if there have been a few SCs in the race.

I mean it's a different debate but finishing under the safety car is at least in the rules.

You have to bare in mind that there are no re-fuels in race, the cars maybe have a couple of laps of fuel extra. So extra laps would see most of them not finishing the race.

The only option would be to red flag it and restart. If they wanted the Championship to end in a race they should have done this, it would have been fairer as everyone could then pit. Hamilton would have been hard done by but on fresh tyres he could have at least defended his position.

It was a gamble, there is a radio message from Lewis saying exactly that under the virtual safety car. That was the point to switch tyres if they were ever going to do so. Toto is on the radio to Masi telling him not to make it a full safety car, they knew it was a risk. If they had switched they would then have been in control of tyre strategy, Red Bull would have kept Max out in a slower car with knackered tyres. The sport can come down to those fine margins. We've seen Lewis brilliantly switch tyres and race back through the field to win races before.

What we saw at the end of the race was unprecedented, im not denying that, but there was a point in the race where Mercedes took a calculated risk not to switch tyres in order to maintain track position.
Its all a calculated risk to a point based on the rules of racing, The trouble is when the race director starts making up new rules as he feels like, all those calculations go out of the window.

A bit harsh
It’s true. You’re willing to celebrate something completely wrong. A fix, an unfair and wholly wrong outcome because the man you wanted to win benefitted.
It’s highly likely you take those traits into other areas of your life and they aren’t the traits I personally like to be surrounded by.
That’s not directed at you by the way, just those who have no problem with how it went down. Unless you’re someone who does fall into that box of course, then, we’ll you know..

It wouldn't have made for a great spectacle but no way would it have been equally as farcical as what actually transpired, especially as Hamilton would have cruised to victory anyway had Latifi not crashed.

Not really "equally farcical" because Hamilton had earned his place at the front & would have won the race if it had finished under the safety car as has happened before, it only becomes farcical when the race director starts making up new rules because he wants a exciting finish.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.