FA confirm Southgate will stay on until after Euro 2024 (p 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The final today highlights how shit/weak Southgate is for me. Look at the way the coaches changed personnel and shape to try and win the game.look at their passion on the touch line and attempt to instruct players. Southgate brings nothing

You can only play with what you have.

Southgate accepts some of the blame for not taking plan B options in his squad. But as we lacked a big lump, it's not really the sort of tactics we could have deployed.

The best English player of that style wasn't going to be picked because of allegedly gambling on football matches.

Well over the last couple of weeks I’ve read numerous times on here that Pickford, Maguire, Shaw, Mount, Rashford, Sterling, Kane, Rice, Hevderson , Alexander- Arnold, are all a waste of space. Just about the only non City players who seem to be any good are Bellingham and Saka. Just wondering who these players are that the same people are claiming Southgate isn’t making the most of?

You can get a hell of a team out of the players you didn’t mention. Which is the point.

You can only play with what you have.

Southgate accepts some of the blame for not taking plan B options in his squad. But as we lacked a big lump, it's not really the sort of tactics we could have deployed.

The best English player of that style wasn't going to be picked because of allegedly gambling on football matches.

We only needed a big lump as that’s the way southgate plays but if Tovey was there he’d have never been used.

These posts seem to alternate between he’s been handed the greatest bunch of English players ever seen in one generation and, the England team are all shit apart from the City players.
Posts like these make me smile. They take random extreme posts from random people on a partisan football forum and then put them together as if it represents some sort of majority view. It's a regular tactic of people with a minority opinion.

I can do it as well:

Posts on here from people who appreciate Southgate seem to alternate between him being the most successful English manager to it's time for him to go because that's enough thank you very much.

The final today highlights how shit/weak Southgate is for me. Look at the way the coaches changed personnel and shape to try and win the game.look at their passion on the touch line and attempt to instruct players. Southgate brings nothing
I thought the same. A classic game that shifted and changed with substitutions and tactical adjustments. Was great to see. Credit to the two coaches.

We only needed a big lump as that’s the way southgate plays but if Tovey was there he’d have never been used.

Missing the point. Argentina surrendered a 2-0 lead after France put on two strikers, one 6ft 2 and the other 6ft 4, and went more direct and long.

They had previously surrendered the same margin against the Dutch in the Quater Finals due to the same tactics from the opposition.

If we had similar players we may have been more effective in creating and finishing chances against the French.

Missing the point. Argentina surrendered a 2-0 lead after France put on two strikers, one 6ft 2 and the other 6ft 4, and went more direct and long.

They had previously surrendered the same margin against the Dutch in the Quater Finals due to the same tactics from the opposition.

If we had similar players we may have been more effective in creating and finishing chances against the French.

No I’m not missing the point.

I was impressed by the tactical battle the coaches made making bold substitutions early by France then packing the midfield to stop the build up play.

My point was if Tovey wasn’t in hot water with the FA & sat on the bench Southgate still wouldn’t have used him.

I think it is better to continue with Southgate unless there is someone with a significantly better resume (multiple continental and/or league titles) ready to join the England setup. Southgate has maintained a positive team atmosphere, has good starting formations and deals well with the press. His only weakness is that he hasn't impacted the game with fantastic substitutions but hopefully he becomes more creative after his WC experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.