FA confirm Southgate will stay on until after Euro 2024 (p 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clue is in the teams he played

The Dutch
The Spanish
Ze Germans

Who were all decent

Whereas cockwomble played an averagd dutch side and err Spain

And lost.

The Spain team against us in 96 were robbed, 2 goals ruled out and a pen not given.

In comparison to Taylors hoof ball spell, then yeah, Venables was a decent manager, I can see why we romanticise this era as the Home tournament of 96 clouds the reality of what we were like.
Venables also had the luxury of two years without playing a single competitive match, as he took over after England had failed to qualify for the World Cup, and didn't have to go through the Euros qualifiers as England were hosts. He had plenty of time between his appointment and the start of Euro96 to experiment with players and get his team right. Nobody else has had that - it's always been straight into the tournament qualifiers.

We also played decent stuff under Robson. Both VENABLES and Robson played to our attacking strengths. They came close. Waistcoat has never looked like beating a good side.
The biggest problem is that it is clear in Southgate's head that those teams he considers a 'threat', which turned out to also include Iceland, he puts 99% of his eggs in the defensive basket and 'invites' teams to attack, and, often, with their one and only excursion into the England area they score, and we come out of our defensive shell and chase the game. Have we ever started on the front foot against a team with the intention of getting in their area and making them defend! The Dutch, Germans, and Spanish all seemed to have the reverse philosophy to Southgate. When you consider the attacking capabilities in the England squad it's just dereliction! The Southgate mindset will win nowt!

In comparison to Taylors hoof ball spell, then yeah, Venables was a decent manager, I can see why we romanticise this era as the Home tournament of 96 clouds the reality of what we were like.
Not really clouded fella we played attacking wingbacks and other systems english managers never thought of before, venables was an excellent attacking forward thinking coach, we lost on penalties to a very very good German side. That's not romance it's actually how it was.

No international side will ever be entertaining in every game its not possible. I find people who rate Southgate highly are being pretty fucking disrespectful of great managers, and i mean great managers, like Robson and Venables and what they achieved in the game.

A failed championship manager who couldn't beat one decent side ever in a tournament ever as international coach.

People don't half fall for media hype and stats that don't stand up to scrutiny. Your own eyes should be the ultimate guide. Some are really clueless about the game.

Venables also had the luxury of two years without playing a single competitive match, as he took over after England had failed to qualify for the World Cup, and didn't have to go through the Euros qualifiers as England were hosts. He had plenty of time between his appointment and the start of Euro96 to experiment with players and get his team right. Nobody else has had that - it's always been straight into the tournament qualifiers.
Being hosts is an advantage but not playing competitive games is a disadvantage.

The Spain team against us in 96 were robbed, 2 goals ruled out and a pen not given.
I can't be arsed looking back on individual decisions and if they were right or not. This would hardly compare with 4 tournaments of piss easy draws though would it?

What other manager gets 4 tournaments of failure whilst playing shit football?

You think southgate even compares to Venables?

You think his team play better football?

If you do football isn't your sport my friend.

I can't be arsed looking back on individual decisions and if they were right or not. This would hardly compare with 4 tournaments of piss easy draws though would it?

What other manager gets 4 tournaments of failure whilst playing shit football?

You think southgate even compares to Venables?

You think his team play better football?

If you do football isn't your sport my friend.

I've not said Southgate compares to Venables, Nor have I said that Southgates football is "better"

Suppose it all depends on what you consider "better" though. Results based Southgate wins hands down, no one has come closer than him since 66, "piss easy draws" or not.

I've not said Southgate compares to Venables, Nor have I said that Southgates football is "better"

Suppose it all depends on what you consider "better" though. Results based Southgate wins hands down, no one has come closer than him since 66, "piss easy draws" or not.
If you don't base results on the opposition then there is really no need to continue further, it's a level of football stupidity that one can never come back from.

Venables had the luxury of not needing qualifications for the Euros, being at home but also before the time of social media/forums constantly criticizing and over analyzing everything.

It's easy to forget that we wasn't actually that impressive in Euro 96, we just see clips of the Holland match and Gazza's goal v Scotland over and over, when the reality was there was many games we sat back, sideways passing and not having much possession at times.

Our opening fixture of that tournament was drab 1-1 draw with Switzerland - we took the lead in the first half then sat back rest of match and lucky not to lose overall.

Next up Scotland, poor again, forgettable first half, took the lead and sat back, Scotland missed a penalty to equalize then moments later it was that iconic Gazza goal which overshadowed a poor performance.

Then of course, Holland. Brilliant performance and result. everything clicked.

QF - Spain - Possibly the worst match of the whole tournament from a entertainment point of view. really drab affair, tight, very few chances. 120 minutes- no goals. penalties which we won.

SF - Germany - We scored early and Germany soon equalized, really tight affair - we come close a couple times notably the ball across that Gazza couldn't reach. then lost to penalties.

so overall, 2 wins in normal time the whole tournament and only 1 of them was a brilliant performance.

What made the tournament special was the wave of passion and patriotism from the fans and supporters up and down the land, before social media and forums that didn't constantly moan and target the manager and individual players.

Wow.
Are those 2 names mentioned at the bottom of the paragraph really a consideration?
I'd rather keep Southgate!

Taken from BBC's Gossip page

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe will be one of the leading candidates to become England manager if current boss Gareth Southgate steps down. Former England midfielders Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are also possible contenders. (Guardian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.