FA confirm Southgate will stay on until after Euro 2024 (p 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that, but the Switzerland game we weren't great, first half against Scotland was poor, Netherlands was really good.

Spain in the quarters we were second best.

Germany in the semis was even.

We were also at home though.

Venables was more adaptable than Southgate though - but saying that, he didn't reach a final (on home soil) with a squad equally as good as what Southgate has had - you could even argue than Venables had a better squad for that tournament.
The clue is in the teams he played

The Dutch
The Spanish
Ze Germans

Who were all decent

Whereas cockwomble played an averagd dutch side and err Spain

And lost.

Last edited:
Not significantly better than Southgate. Roy Hodgson had a decent reputation in European football but failed with England. Same with Capello and Eriksson on the other side of the coin.

I cannot think of a comment I disagree with more

Southgate failed boro manager of boring tactically inept football

Potter overachieving with small premiership club Brighton who played possession tactically astute football

If I had to have a bet on the next manager it'd be Potter or Lampard.

I'd prefer the former.
Partial credit to Southgate, the new boss would initially have a much better squad with better team spirit than the one he inherited.

I suspect whoever takes over will end up with a bumpy ride eventually.
I'm not sure Southgate fathered any of those players:-)

I cannot think of a comment I disagree with more

Southgate failed boro manager of boring tactically inept football

Potter overachieving with small premiership club Brighton who played possession tactically astute football
Tbf Southgate did mastermind the 8 - 1 demolition v city.

But seriously it’s time for him to go, potter would be my choice

Tbf Southgate did mastermind the 8 - 1 demolition v city.

But seriously it’s time for him to go, potter would be my choice
Agree, thinking more about it my top 3
Would be

Potter
Carsley
Carrick

Unfortunately I think he may stay or have an input into his successor:-(

I'd love to be able to eavesdrop on the whole selection committee when discussing possible candidates. Do they ever take note of public opinion, and ask who the supporters would like to see? Or is it just a case of 'we choose him, if you don't like it fuck off!' Seems like the latter.
I do not know of anybody who was pleased with the appointment of Southgate, not one. In my social circle it was generally considered a backwards step by everyone. And so it proved.

As far as I'm concerned most England internationals are an unwanted intrusion on the football season, especially those bloody awful 'friendlies.' Pointless kickabouts where the manager says he's trying a few new players out, then goes and picks the exact same eleven he would have picked for a far more important game - thereby learning sweet fuck all.

You don't think England played attractive football under venables?

In comparison to Taylors hoof ball spell, then yeah, Venables was a decent manager, I can see why we romanticise this era as the Home tournament of 96 clouds the reality of what we were like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.