FA cup 4th Round draw Middlesbrough at home

Re: FA cup 4th Round draw (Monday 5th Jan 7.30 pm ish)

Here are the numbers to look out for...

1 Arsenal
2 Southampton or Ipswich Town
3 Stoke City
4 Blackburn Rovers
5 Crystal Palace
6 AFC Wimbledon or Liverpool
7 Manchester City
8 Rochdale
9 West Bromwich Albion
10 Birmingham City
11 Aston Villa
12 AFC Bournemouth
13 Reading
14 Swansea City
15 Cardiff City
16 Bolton Wanderers
17 Sunderland
18 Burnley or Tottenham Hotspur
19 Millwall or Bradford City
20 Derby County
21 Brighton & Hove Albion
22 Fulham or Wolverhampton Wanderers
23 Leicester City
24 Scunthorpe United or Chesterfield
25 Everton or West Ham United
26 Cambridge United
27 Chelsea
28 Middlesbrough
29 Sheffield United
30 Manchester United
31 Preston North End
32 Doncaster Rovers or Bristol City

Ties to be played over the weekend of 24 and 25 January 2015

Read more at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/2015/jan/fa-cup-fourth-round-draw#hEO6bAyo3HAHRZJ8.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/20 ... HAHRZJ8.99</a>

I somehow fail to see why there's a need to draw numbers before the actual draw. Why not in alphabetic order or any club holding their own number during the year? Is it to do a draw twice (numbers, than opponent) to rule out any fixing? Is it because a number is easier to put on a piece of paper? There's probably a simple explaination ...

Btw: Away to a club closeby where we haven't been very often lately

eversince 76 said:
I somehow fail to see why there's a need to draw numbers before the actual draw. Why not in alphabetic order or any club holding their own number during the year? Is it to do a draw twice (numbers, than opponent) to rule out any fixing? Is it because a number is easier to put on a piece of paper? There's probably a simple explaination ...

This article explains the numbering (sort of!)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/feb/20/theknowledge.sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/200 ... edge.sport</a>

Football The Knowledge
How do the FA number their balls?
Email the.boss@guardian.co.uk with your questions and answers
Scott Murray and Nick Harper
Thursday 20 February 2003 11.42 GMT

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via Email Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+
Shares
"Waiting for the FA Cup to be drawn on Monday," scribbled Lee Wright, "it made me wonder how the balls are allotted for cup draws. I could see no pattern in the sequence they used ..."

1 Arsenal
2 Southampton
3 Leeds
4 Wolves
5 Burnley or Fulham
6 Chelsea
7 Watford
8 Sheffield United"

Neither could we, but we knew a man who could: the FA's ever-helpful spokesfellow, David Barber.

"There are two elements to how the ball numbers are determined," he patiently explained. "At the top end of the first round draw, the league teams are drawn in alphabetical order, from 1-48, with teams like Bristol City as the low numbers and York City at 48. Then, from 49 onwards, the clubs from the fourth qualifying round go into the draw as they come through, not in alphabetical order.

"When the draw was made on Monday for the quarter-finals, the teams were numbered in relation to how they had been drawn in the previous round. So, Arsenal were numbered one because - of those teams left in the draw - they came out first for the fifth round draw."

Therefore, Sheffield United, if you haven't yet worked it out for yourself, were numbered eight because they came out of the hat, sorry, bowl, last in the fifth round draw of the teams remaining. So now we all know.

blueste41 said:
eversince 76 said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/feb/20/theknowledge.sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/200 ... edge.sport</a>

Football The Knowledge

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via Email Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+
Shares
"Waiting for the FA Cup to be drawn on Monday," scribbled Lee Wright, "it made me wonder how the balls are allotted for cup draws. I could see no pattern in the sequence they used ..."

1 Arsenal
2 Southampton
3 Leeds
4 Wolves
5 Burnley or Fulham
6 Chelsea
7 Watford
8 Sheffield United"

Neither could we, but we knew a man who could: the FA's ever-helpful spokesfellow, David Barber.

"There are two elements to how the ball numbers are determined," he patiently explained. "At the top end of the first round draw, the league teams are drawn in alphabetical order, from 1-48, with teams like Bristol City as the low numbers and York City at 48. Then, from 49 onwards, the clubs from the fourth qualifying round go into the draw as they come through, not in alphabetical order.

"When the draw was made on Monday for the quarter-finals, the teams were numbered in relation to how they had been drawn in the previous round. So, Arsenal were numbered one because - of those teams left in the draw - they came out first for the fifth round draw."

Therefore, Sheffield United, if you haven't yet worked it out for yourself, were numbered eight because they came out of the hat, sorry, bowl, last in the fifth round draw of the teams remaining. So now we all know.

Ok. Thanks about HOW numbers are determined. Leaves me the question WHY?

blueste41 said:
eversince 76 said:

Football The Knowledge

Shares

1 Arsenal
2 Southampton
3 Leeds
4 Wolves
5 Burnley or Fulham
6 Chelsea
7 Watford
8 Sheffield United"

That is clear then!

For some reason I always used to think when I was younger we were number 22 or 23. Don't know where I got that from to be honest.

Rochdale please! At the Etihad and I bloody hope we put double figures past 'em.

Sat 24 Jan is the last day of the beer festival at the Velodrome. Hoping for a home draw with a Sat KO, great location for a match day Bluemoon meet up, never done one as there not held on match days, long way from Devon to have a few jars but no game after.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.