FA cup....Nottingham Forest v City 27th January 1974

The FA Cup humiliation under Mark Hughes was one of the worst City days in recent memory.
I have been hoping ever since that we get them in the third round away, we leather them 10-0 and we take over the entire city like Vikings
I too always wish for Forest away in the 3rd round. Not sure you’ll need any Vikings to take over the city if I’m in tow, mate.

Saw McKenzie at a sportsman’s dinner once and the horrible **** spent the whole of his speech making racist jokes. Decent player, but horrible ****. I know times have changed, and people should be cut a certain degree of slack for things they said a generation ago, but when has it ever been socially acceptable to stand in a room and denigrate people because of the colour of their skin? Felt slightly guilty afterwards that I didn’t get up and leave. Or call him a ****. Or both.

During the miners strike in 1973-74, clubs were not allowed to use floodlights regardless if they were powered by generators. The whole country was on a four-day week and there were regular power cuts in order to save energy.

I remember going to an afternoon midweek match at Maine Road. There was a bomb scare at that match and we were asked to look under our seats in to see if there was one there! I was in my final year as an undergraduate at Manchester University that year so had no problems getting to the match. The attendance was certainly well down on usual.
I have a very vague recollection of that bomb scare but always thought it couldn't be true, being asked to check your own seat. Went to my first game that season against Birmingham and there was a bomb scare that day at the Lords test match. Must have been the fashion in those days.

I have a very vague recollection of that bomb scare but always thought it couldn't be true, being asked to check your own seat.
There were a lot of hoax calls re bombs in the early 70s, I think a lot of the time such calls were assumed to be hoaxes, hence the announcement to check for suspicious packages rather than immediately clearing the stadium. This was before the M62 coach or Birmingham pub bombings.

Anyone here at the game?, remember it like it was yesterday..

Duncan McKenzie scored one of the best goals I've ever seen against us, shortly after that he moved to Leeds.

From the web:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.
I was there, with my dad, older brother, a mate from Rusholme where we lived along with my older Irish cousin who was staying with us at the time. McKenzie was special that day. Played on a Sunday due to 3-day week, industrial disputes and power cuts

Anyone here at the game?, remember it like it was yesterday..

Duncan McKenzie scored one of the best goals I've ever seen against us, shortly after that he moved to Leeds.

From the web:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.
I remember this one well just like you. Duncan McKenzie was brilliant that day and as it states it was Duncan McKenzie 4 City 1. Just as a footnote, wasn't this the first game ever to be shown live on TV on a Sunday, or at least some sort of first for something or other.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.