FA cup....Nottingham Forest v City 27th January 1974

Memory maybe playing tricks, but was it entry by "donation" cos of the Sunday trading laws - I think we got in for 10 new pence ( as they were called back then!)
Was going then the game moved to Sunday rendering it impractical., believe it was a shit performance and dodgy off the pitch. Didn't do them any favours got drawn away to Newcastle where their fans were smacked senseless after a riot.

During the miners strike in 1973-74, clubs were not allowed to use floodlights regardless if they were powered by generators. The whole country was on a four-day week and there were regular power cuts in order to save energy.

I remember going to an afternoon midweek match at Maine Road. There was a bomb scare at that match and we were asked to look under our seats in to see if there was one there! I was in my final year as an undergraduate at Manchester University that year so had no problems getting to the match. The attendance was certainly well down on usual.
IIRC, this is the match where referee Roger Kirkpatrick, on hearing the announcement, run over to the ball, picked it up, put it to his ear and shook it, in his typically comedic way, to suggest the bomb could be in the ball. Quite a character was Roger. Not like the morons we have to put with these days.

1668719368752.png

IIRC, this is the match where referee Roger Kirkpatrick, on hearing the announcement, run over to the ball, picked it up, put it to his ear and shook it, in his typically comedic way, to suggest the bomb could be in the ball. Quite a character was Roger. Not like the morons we have to put with these days.

View attachment 61167
Oh, I dunno. Tierney, Taylor (sorry, "Alty"), Oliver (aka OliVAR) are all characters!

I remember this one well just like you. Duncan McKenzie was brilliant that day and as it states it was Duncan McKenzie 4 City 1. Just as a footnote, wasn't this the first game ever to be shown live on TV on a Sunday, or at least some sort of first for something or other.
Not on the box mate,but I think it was our first ever Sunday game.

We were so bad that when we eventually got back to Preston I got smashed and ducked work the next day, mam phoned in. When I went Tues, apprentice manager made me sign in the sick book and said your mam said you were very sick,, I just nodded. When I got to the door he said "where they that bad?" I replied "worse" and slammed the door after me.

I remember this one well just like you. Duncan McKenzie was brilliant that day and as it states it was Duncan McKenzie 4 City 1. Just as a footnote, wasn't this the first game ever to be shown live on TV on a Sunday, or at least some sort of first for something or other.
Ha no it definitely wasn't on TV I remember listening to it on bbc radio 2 as a 10 year thinking how could we lose to this lot, I was hoping for an fa cup final first trip to Wembley ? Instead we went for the league Cup final a few weeks later and lost of course !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.