FA Youth Cup tonight

moomba said:
mcfcdaytona said:
Burnley at home in the 4th round of the Youth Cup - hopefully City can show United how to beat this determined youth set up

Do you know around when the game will be?

Tie to be played by 19th Jan - so prob 8/9th or 15/16th Jan<br /><br />-- Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:12 pm --<br /><br />
bobbyowenquiff said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
What I am saying is that most of our EDS team is not as good technically as I expected. I am not suggesting that Ched Evans, Micah and Nedum are particularly skilful compared to some foreign players but the youth team they played in was stronger overall than our present one. I think Suarez looks lightweight for the Premiership. Razak had a good 20 minutes against Villa but his distribution is weak. In the past we had players like Peter Barnes playing international football at the age of 19. If you are not pushing hard for the first team at the age of 18,19 then you are not likely to be a top player. I believe our youth set-up has gone backwards in the last five years. At one time our teams were unplayable at under 18 and under 16. Liverpool have overtaken us at this level and at one time we were well ahead of them. There is a huge amount of work to be done. I hope I am wrong but I think it will be a long time before we see one of the EDS graduating to the first team. The best youngster we have had in recent years by a mile is Danny Sturridge. There is no one as good as he was in our current youth set-up.

completley agree.

feel like the teams gone backwards since our youth cup win, we had the technically good players then in trippier, clayton and strurridge- none were given a chance. Hate to say it as well but when does mancini ever give youth a chance ?? apart from five minutes here or there.

I really want to see one given a proper chance.
I agree with this. It is true that the bar is much higher now so it will be difficult for Mancini to play youngsters unless they are brilliant. The one player I thought might make it was Joan Roman who was excellent in the Tevez comeback match at Morecambe but has returned to Spain. I feel we will not see any real dividends with our youth players for at least 5 years. If they are good enough they will get a chance. Players like Stephen Elliott were incredible at youth and reserve level but never reached the heights in the top flight. This is certainly true of all clubs. At Liverpool Sterling has looked brilliant all the way through the ranks and was man of the match against us at Anfield...but even he has still got a long way to go. Remember (painful though it is) Rooney was scoring for Everton first team when he was 17. That is the level our youngsters must achieve.

City's MotM at Morecambe was Ahmad Benali - broke play up and created numerous chances that Roman & Tevez failed to finish

mcfcdaytona said:
Burnley at home in the 4th round of the Youth Cup - hopefully City can show United how to beat this determined youth set up

Their striker Gilchrist will no doubt be up for it playing against friends he spent 10 years with, could be dangerous considering he scored a hat trick against United. I'll try and get down for this one.

Tevez City said:
Any highlights for the game ?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Match-highlights/2012/December/City-u18s-v-Sunderland-u18s-FA-Youth-Cup-highlights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Match-high ... highlights</a>

mcfcdaytona said:
moomba said:
mcfcdaytona said:

Tie to be played by 19th Jan - so prob 8/9th or 15/16th Jan

-- Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:12 pm --

bobbyowenquiff said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
completley agree.

feel like the teams gone backwards since our youth cup win, we had the technically good players then in trippier, clayton and strurridge- none were given a chance. Hate to say it as well but when does mancini ever give youth a chance ?? apart from five minutes here or there.

I agree with this. It is true that the bar is much higher now so it will be difficult for Mancini to play youngsters unless they are brilliant. The one player I thought might make it was Joan Roman who was excellent in the Tevez comeback match at Morecambe but has returned to Spain. I feel we will not see any real dividends with our youth players for at least 5 years. If they are good enough they will get a chance. Players like Stephen Elliott were incredible at youth and reserve level but never reached the heights in the top flight. This is certainly true of all clubs. At Liverpool Sterling has looked brilliant all the way through the ranks and was man of the match against us at Anfield...but even he has still got a long way to go. Remember (painful though it is) Rooney was scoring for Everton first team when he was 17. That is the level our youngsters must achieve.

City's MotM at Morecambe was Ahmad Benali - broke play up and created numerous chances that Roman & Tevez failed to finish
Joan Roman scored a hatrick and provided two assists in our six-one win at Morecambe. I think he just about eclipsed Benali for Man of the Match!

bobbyowenquiff said:
mcfcdaytona said:
moomba said:

Tie to be played by 19th Jan - so prob 8/9th or 15/16th Jan

-- Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:12 pm --

bobbyowenquiff said:

Joan Roman scored a hatrick and provided two assists in our six-one win at Morecambe. I think he just about eclipsed Benali for Man of the Match!

A penalty and be it two well taken goals scored with a Morecambe team that was on their feet does not make you man of the match - how many times is Silva our MotM yet our forwards have scored a few goals. Football is all about opinions and my opinion is to consider the whole patterns of play and so don't look at a football match purely in terms of players that score goals.

Nelly's Left Foot said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
What I am saying is that most of our EDS team is not as good technically as I expected. I am not suggesting that Ched Evans, Micah and Nedum are particularly skilful compared to some foreign players but the youth team they played in was stronger overall than our present one. I think Suarez looks lightweight for the Premiership. Razak had a good 20 minutes against Villa but his distribution is weak. In the past we had players like Peter Barnes playing international football at the age of 19. If you are not pushing hard for the first team at the age of 18,19 then you are not likely to be a top player. I believe our youth set-up has gone backwards in the last five years. At one time our teams were unplayable at under 18 and under 16. Liverpool have overtaken us at this level and at one time we were well ahead of them. There is a huge amount of work to be done. I hope I am wrong but I think it will be a long time before we see one of the EDS graduating to the first team. The best youngster we have had in recent years by a mile is Danny Sturridge. There is no one as good as he was in our current youth set-up.

completley agree.

I too would love to see a young player given a chance but not just for the sake of it.2 of those mentioned above were simply not good enough for where we are.Good players I accept but not at top premiership level and to just play them in the team and thus effectively weaken the team is plain crazy.

Sturridge remains an enigma as he still shows great talent in some games but equally shows plenty of rubbish and attitude which is why he can't get into the starting line up with Chelski.Plus of course the reason he left us was not about his playing ability/potential but all about his crazy wage demands.

It would'nt be for the sake of it, if players are good enough like those mentioned and then not played then what is the point of the academy- they need to be given a chance whether thats in cup games or in games we are winning ( 5-0 ), which hasn't happened. Sturridge is probably the best player we have produced under the right management he could be upfront with Aguero now,
Trippier has been fantastic at burnley with arsenal looking at him- he is good enough with a lot of people at the club always holding him in high regard.

unfortunately when we are trying to win the league one thing we lack is patience to develop players.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
completley agree.

I too would love to see a young player given a chance but not just for the sake of it.2 of those mentioned above were simply not good enough for where we are.Good players I accept but not at top premiership level and to just play them in the team and thus effectively weaken the team is plain crazy.

Sturridge remains an enigma as he still shows great talent in some games but equally shows plenty of rubbish and attitude which is why he can't get into the starting line up with Chelski.Plus of course the reason he left us was not about his playing ability/potential but all about his crazy wage demands.

It would'nt be for the sake of it, if players are good enough like those mentioned and then not played then what is the point of the academy- they need to be given a chance whether thats in cup games or in games we are winning ( 5-0 ), which hasn't happened. Sturridge is probably the best player we have produced under the right management he could be upfront with Aguero now,
Trippier has been fantastic at burnley with arsenal looking at him- he is good enough with a lot of people at the club always holding him in high regard.

unfortunately when we are trying to win the league one thing we lack is patience to develop players.

So it comes down to opinion on good enough or not. Trippier was and is a good player but not at top premiership level and maybe not even at prem level.We will see if the reports that Arsenal are looking at him are true won't we but I don't believe all I read.

Clayton also good but 100% not beyond championship level. And Sturridge as I said did not leave because he wasn't getting chances but because he was demanding silly money.

You say if they are good enough like those mentioned but I ,and it seems City as well, disagree with your opinion.

Not totally on topic here but came across this on RAWK in a thread about Barcelona's academy.

My job involves watching a lot of u9's-u12's football between the professional clubs in this country and the standard is just awful compared to other countries. Its usually just 22 players running around after the ball with very little passing, although Man City are becoming a big exception.

moomba said:
Not totally on topic here but came across this on RAWK in a thread about Barcelona's academy.

My job involves watching a lot of u9's-u12's football between the professional clubs in this country and the standard is just awful compared to other countries. Its usually just 22 players running around after the ball with very little passing, although Man City are becoming a big exception.
I watched when the younger lads (U14?) played in Middle East and tbh they played some brilliant passing football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.