FA Youth Cup tonight

jollylescott said:
There are those that have criticised the performance of the EDS and under 18's this year. However any person who has watched a lot of junior football would realise that the age of the youth makes a tremendous difference between the ages of 15 to 21.

I agree with our policy of throwing the youngsters in the deep end. I actually think we have some phenomenal talent coming through and that this will be borne out in the next couple of years as they mature. The challenge of playing outside their age group will develop them faster than confining them.

The quality of the play in the game against Sunderland shows a glimpse of the future.

These are indeed exciting times.

I have seen the EDS a few times this season plus the pre-season match at Oldham (mostly kids) and have been surprised at how technically poor they have been. They are nowhere near as good as the crop of kids we had a few years back with Nedum, Micah, Michael Johnson even Ched Evans! The ones who have stepped up to the first team have looked out of their depths. I hate being negative about City but I think a reality check is needed. Our EDS squad is a million miles away from what we need. Hopefully the new regime will sort it out.

bobbyowenquiff said:
I have seen the EDS a few times this season plus the pre-season match at Oldham (mostly kids) and have been surprised at how technically poor they have been. They are nowhere near as good as the crop of kids we had a few years back with Nedum, Micah, Michael Johnson even Ched Evans! The ones who have stepped up to the first team have looked out of their depths. I hate being negative about City but I think a reality check is needed. Our EDS squad is a million miles away from what we need. Hopefully the new regime will sort it out.

Are you referring to the English players because I really don't think Denis Suarez and Karim Rekik are technically inferior to Nedum and Ched.

bobbyowenquiff said:
jollylescott said:
There are those that have criticised the performance of the EDS and under 18's this year. However any person who has watched a lot of junior football would realise that the age of the youth makes a tremendous difference between the ages of 15 to 21.

I agree with our policy of throwing the youngsters in the deep end. I actually think we have some phenomenal talent coming through and that this will be borne out in the next couple of years as they mature. The challenge of playing outside their age group will develop them faster than confining them.

The quality of the play in the game against Sunderland shows a glimpse of the future.

These are indeed exciting times.

Wow, the team is far from technically poor there is some brilliant players coming through

WNRH said:
Good win and good reports it seems.

Scary that that isn't even our strongest U18 side with Facey, Glendon and Hiwula all out injured!

Draw is today, hope we get united.............

Interesting 3 to name.Hiwula maybe would get into last night's team but not the other 2. Would Hiwula replace Cole or would we play 2 front men and drop maybe Pozo?

Nelly's Left Foot said:
WNRH said:

Scary that that isn't even our strongest U18 side with Facey, Glendon and Hiwula all out injured!

Interesting 3 to name.Hiwula maybe would get into last night's team but not the other 2. Would Hiwula replace Cole or would we play 2 front men and drop maybe Pozo?

I'm just basing it on team selection this season and last month or so. The formation at EDS this season seems to have always had one man upfront, haven't seen two men played up top.

Facey would replace Boasserts
Glendon would replace Bytyqi
Hiwula would replace Cole.

WNRH said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:
WNRH said:

I'm just basing it on team selection this season and last month or so. The formation at EDS this season seems to have always had one man upfront, haven't seen two men played up top.

All about opinions isn't it. As I s aid Hiwula for Cole maybe as I rate Hiwula quite highly but Cole played well last night and is really starting to grow on me.

I don't go with the other 2 though especially Glendon for Bytqi

Nelly's Left Foot said:
WNRH said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:

All about opinions isn't it. As I s aid Hiwula for Cole maybe as I rate Hiwula quite highly but Cole played well last night and is really starting to grow on me.

I don't go with the other 2 though especially Glendon for Bytqi

It is yes but i think if both Facey and Glendon were fit last night they would have played based on their appearances this season. Facey has played every time he has been fit although not seen him for a while and Glendon has been playing recently in the Next Gen and U21 league, Bytyqi has not been around at all. We'll probably see who is right in the new year when all are back (probably not Hiwula though as i've read he's out for the season unfortunately)

Ability alone isn't enough. They need to be mentally strong because it's amazing how quickly young players can go backwards.

City had more skilful youngsters than Mike Doyle, but they often lacked his desire to succeed.

LoveCity said:
bobbyowenquiff said:

Are you referring to the English players because I really don't think Denis Suarez and Karim Rekik are technically inferior to Nedum and Ched.

What I am saying is that most of our EDS team is not as good technically as I expected. I am not suggesting that Ched Evans, Micah and Nedum are particularly skilful compared to some foreign players but the youth team they played in was stronger overall than our present one. I think Suarez looks lightweight for the Premiership. Razak had a good 20 minutes against Villa but his distribution is weak. In the past we had players like Peter Barnes playing international football at the age of 19. If you are not pushing hard for the first team at the age of 18,19 then you are not likely to be a top player. I believe our youth set-up has gone backwards in the last five years. At one time our teams were unplayable at under 18 and under 16. Liverpool have overtaken us at this level and at one time we were well ahead of them. There is a huge amount of work to be done. I hope I am wrong but I think it will be a long time before we see one of the EDS graduating to the first team. The best youngster we have had in recent years by a mile is Danny Sturridge. There is no one as good as he was in our current youth set-up.

1. Pedro for Barcelona not a top player?
2. We might have been unplayable at U16 and U18 level as a team but where are those players now? Burnley, Pescara, Huddersfield and propping up the bar in the Red Lion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.