FA Youth Cup tonight

WNRH said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:
WNRH said:
I'm just basing it on team selection this season and last month or so. The formation at EDS this season seems to have always had one man upfront, haven't seen two men played up top.

Facey would replace Boasserts
Glendon would replace Bytyqi
Hiwula would replace Cole.

All about opinions isn't it. As I s aid Hiwula for Cole maybe as I rate Hiwula quite highly but Cole played well last night and is really starting to grow on me.

I don't go with the other 2 though especially Glendon for Bytqi

It is yes but i think if both Facey and Glendon were fit last night they would have played based on their appearances this season. Facey has played every time he has been fit although not seen him for a while and Glendon has been playing recently in the Next Gen and U21 league, Bytyqi has not been around at all. We'll probably see who is right in the new year when all are back (probably not Hiwula though as i've read he's out for the season unfortunately)

I think what you can say is that all three would have added to the strength and depth of squad that was named against Sunderland. Facey is definitely our best youth right back - but Bossaerts is a centre half anyway - so then the choice becomes Plummer/Bossaerts to partner Rekik who for once stayed in the back line most of the game for once and showed his quality instead of being a frustrated forward and leaving the defence exposed far too often because he was out of position. Hiwula is a different striker than Cole and plays better with a striking partner and so probably would not have done a good a job as Cole did by bringing Bytyqi, Lopes and Pozo into the game high up the pitch where they were most dangerous. Glendon playing would have meant a different formation and a more defensive one from this game and might have come on for Evans later on if we were chasing the game. However Sunderland were a very average side who lacked ideas and movement and only had more possession when City had a drop off for a breather so to speak - as Devante Cole's tweets show the lad was knackered because he ran their defence into the ground chasing the ball. Hopefully the draw today is kind to us - want to avoid Chelsea - they are quality that ultimately City should be aiming for.

bobbyowenquiff said:
LoveCity said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
I have seen the EDS a few times this season plus the pre-season match at Oldham (mostly kids) and have been surprised at how technically poor they have been. They are nowhere near as good as the crop of kids we had a few years back with Nedum, Micah, Michael Johnson even Ched Evans! The ones who have stepped up to the first team have looked out of their depths. I hate being negative about City but I think a reality check is needed. Our EDS squad is a million miles away from what we need. Hopefully the new regime will sort it out.

Are you referring to the English players because I really don't think Denis Suarez and Karim Rekik are technically inferior to Nedum and Ched.

What I am saying is that most of our EDS team is not as good technically as I expected. I am not suggesting that Ched Evans, Micah and Nedum are particularly skilful compared to some foreign players but the youth team they played in was stronger overall than our present one. I think Suarez looks lightweight for the Premiership. Razak had a good 20 minutes against Villa but his distribution is weak. In the past we had players like Peter Barnes playing international football at the age of 19. If you are not pushing hard for the first team at the age of 18,19 then you are not likely to be a top player. I believe our youth set-up has gone backwards in the last five years. At one time our teams were unplayable at under 18 and under 16. Liverpool have overtaken us at this level and at one time we were well ahead of them. There is a huge amount of work to be done. I hope I am wrong but I think it will be a long time before we see one of the EDS graduating to the first team. The best youngster we have had in recent years by a mile is Danny Sturridge. There is no one as good as he was in our current youth set-up.

completley agree.

feel like the teams gone backwards since our youth cup win, we had the technically good players then in trippier, clayton and strurridge- none were given a chance. Hate to say it as well but when does mancini ever give youth a chance ?? apart from five minutes here or there.

I really want to see one given a proper chance.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
LoveCity said:
Are you referring to the English players because I really don't think Denis Suarez and Karim Rekik are technically inferior to Nedum and Ched.

What I am saying is that most of our EDS team is not as good technically as I expected. I am not suggesting that Ched Evans, Micah and Nedum are particularly skilful compared to some foreign players but the youth team they played in was stronger overall than our present one. I think Suarez looks lightweight for the Premiership. Razak had a good 20 minutes against Villa but his distribution is weak. In the past we had players like Peter Barnes playing international football at the age of 19. If you are not pushing hard for the first team at the age of 18,19 then you are not likely to be a top player. I believe our youth set-up has gone backwards in the last five years. At one time our teams were unplayable at under 18 and under 16. Liverpool have overtaken us at this level and at one time we were well ahead of them. There is a huge amount of work to be done. I hope I am wrong but I think it will be a long time before we see one of the EDS graduating to the first team. The best youngster we have had in recent years by a mile is Danny Sturridge. There is no one as good as he was in our current youth set-up.

completley agree.

feel like the teams gone backwards since our youth cup win, we had the technically good players then in trippier, clayton and strurridge- none were given a chance. Hate to say it as well but when does mancini ever give youth a chance ?? apart from five minutes here or there.

Who deserves a chance, and which senior player should miss out?

moomba said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
bobbyowenquiff said:

completley agree.

Who deserves a chance, and which senior player should miss out?
Would much rather challenge for the title than be Arsenal. Had enough years of winning fuck all

Burnley at home in the 4th round of the Youth Cup - hopefully City can show United how to beat this determined youth set up

mcfcdaytona said:
Burnley at home in the 4th round of the Youth Cup - hopefully City can show United how to beat this determined youth set up

Do you know around when the game will be?

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
LoveCity said:

completley agree.

I agree with this. It is true that the bar is much higher now so it will be difficult for Mancini to play youngsters unless they are brilliant. The one player I thought might make it was Joan Roman who was excellent in the Tevez comeback match at Morecambe but has returned to Spain. I feel we will not see any real dividends with our youth players for at least 5 years. If they are good enough they will get a chance. Players like Stephen Elliott were incredible at youth and reserve level but never reached the heights in the top flight. This is certainly true of all clubs. At Liverpool Sterling has looked brilliant all the way through the ranks and was man of the match against us at Anfield...but even he has still got a long way to go. Remember (painful though it is) Rooney was scoring for Everton first team when he was 17. That is the level our youngsters must achieve.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
LoveCity said:

completley agree.

I too would love to see a young player given a chance but not just for the sake of it.2 of those mentioned above were simply not good enough for where we are.Good players I accept but not at top premiership level and to just play them in the team and thus effectively weaken the team is plain crazy.

Sturridge remains an enigma as he still shows great talent in some games but equally shows plenty of rubbish and attitude which is why he can't get into the starting line up with Chelski.Plus of course the reason he left us was not about his playing ability/potential but all about his crazy wage demands.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.