Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are referring to my earlier comment then just to make it clear. I did not compare the two as players. GB is one of my favourite City players of recent years and unquestionably superior to Delph. I merely said that such a signing would be of little risk and relatively inexpensive.
If you are referring to someone elses post simply ignore the drivel written above.
Christ, more people should post that line right there......! Oh, but not me.

Ok.

I've also seen people in agreement with my assesment, let's add that for balance. Nothing to add to any discussion on the player or just personal jabs? No? Ok then
I have no problem with you not rating the player, but I have a problem with you suggesting we'd sign someone just because he's cheap and would fill a quota. That's not what our club is about these days, and if we do decide to sign him it's because we rate him and see a role for him in the squad.

I have no problem with you not rating the player, but I have a problem with you suggesting we'd sign someone just because he's cheap and would fill a quota. That's not what our club is about these days, and if we do decide to sign him it's because we rate him and see a role for him in the squad.
Well there's evidence to suggest otherwise so it's not unfounded or unreasonable to have a gripe with.

Someone said we can use the 17 spots for foreign players as flexibilty regarding quality, for me again it's the other way around. We don't need 17 foreign players but we do need to have at least 8 HG players. So instead of constantly rotating average players to fulfill that number I would rather the club invest in real quality that can sustain a presence in the squad.
I agree, but how realistic is that really? How many homegrown players are there that would improve us? I'd wager you can't name a group of homegrown players that would improve even half of our starting lineup, let alone one that would actually be available to buy. We should always be in for them when they're available, but we can't build a Champions League winning team around homegrown talent with what's currently available. We need a big squad to compete in 4 competitions, and that means that not all of the players we sign are going to be world class. Just because we sign Delph doesn't mean we can't also sign Wilshere and Sterling.

He's going to prove some of you lot wrong, same with fernando. If the lads got true quality, playing with yaya and silva will bring it out of him. As for Fernando, he struggled last year but now he's had a years experience I'm sure he will be a lot better, if he stays that is.

I agree, but how realistic is that really? How many homegrown players are there that would improve us? I'd wager you can't name a group of homegrown players that would improve even half of our starting lineup, let alone one that would actually be available to buy. We should always be in for them when they're available, but we can't build a Champions League winning team around homegrown talent with what's currently available. We need a big squad to compete in 4 competitions, and that means that not all of the players we sign are going to be world class. Just because we sign Delph doesn't mean we can't also sign Wilshere and Sterling.

So we're going to sign Delph, Wilshere, Pogba to add to Yaya, Dinho and Fernando? Yeah I'm sure Delph is going to have tons of game time with a midfield squad like that...He'd be lucky to get 20 minutes at the end of a fucking FA Cup tie. Not all our squad need to be world class but they need to be able to slot in and contribute to the team. Milner was not world class but he had enough about him to contribute towards the team. Players like Fernando and Sinclair do not so every time they slotted in we got worse and I have not seen anything about Delph besides him running around a lot to show he will be able to slot into our team and not make us worse.

I've said it before but Delph is not where we should be looking to make up the HG numbers. Sell Willy and get a promising HG keeper and use the extra foreign spot to buy one of the many young foreign midfielders who are twice the player of Delph.

I've said it before but Delph is not where we should be looking to make up the HG numbers. Sell Willy and get a promising HG keeper and use the extra foreign spot to buy one of the many young foreign midfielders who are twice the player of Delph.
Again, who? Quality goalkeepers who are willing to sit on the bench more often than not are pretty hard to come by. Outfield players are usually a bit more willing to do that, because they'll get more opportunities to come on as a sub and prove their worth.

As for his game time, it depends on what formation we're going to play. In a 4-3-3, having six central midfielders wouldn't be ridiculous. But that would assume both Ferns stayed. I'm also not massively convinced that Wilshere is coming any time soon, and even if he did, that's at least 20 guaranteed games that he'll need covering every year.

Last edited:
Totally confused by the rubbish I read on here. We are signing a 25 y.o centre mid who if we we sold we would probably double our money. Plus one of the things we lacked in Fernando was mobility in the middle. Delph is quick and will cover the back 4 well. Looks like a no brainer to me. Worst case we get more back than what we paid.

Someone said we can use the 17 spots for foreign players as flexibilty regarding quality, for me again it's the other way around. We don't need 17 foreign players but we do need to have at least 8 HG players. So instead of constantly rotating average players to fulfill that number I would rather the club invest in real quality that can sustain a presence in the squad.
Why do you say that? It's not true at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.