Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe the shite so called blues are posting about a City player ( highly likely) before he has kicked a ball for us. He has played well for England and destroyed Liverpool In a cup semi final. Give the guy a chance . I like what he brings to the squad...

I think this could be a really astute signing for us, remember when we were linked with gary cahill and everyone (including me) were underwhelmed and thought we dodged a bullet, not only would he have been a decent signing for us at 7 million (absolute steal) it could have weakened chelsea over the last few years, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing!!!

'a England International' you are making it sound like a worthy award.

Delph imo is a shocking signing, makes no sense whats so ever. His ambition is being questioned by myself as I can't understand why he would join us. Pointless and stupid, On this occasion if we wanted a home grown player, we have plenty chomping in our EDS side.
Obviously our Manager doesn`t agree with you.Thankfully he has already won a couple of Cups to put my mind at ease.

'a England International' you are making it sound like a worthy award.

Delph imo is a shocking signing, makes no sense whats so ever. His ambition is being questioned by myself as I can't understand why he would join us. Pointless and stupid, On this occasion if we wanted a home grown player, we have plenty chomping in our EDS side.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, some agree with you, the majority it would seem, don't. Can't see how anyone sees it as "pointless" though, we clearly need homegrown players, so signing a homegrown player makes perfect sense. There are limited homegrown options out there, Delph is one of the better options that were available, and his price means we can keep a huge amount of our spending power for some world class signings. We clearly don't have anyone in the EDS who is deemed ready at this point to step up, and even if they did they wouldn;t be needed for the homegrown quota as they can be included anyway due to age.

Milner was highly underrated mate, you're doing him a disservice to elevate Delph, IMO.

I'm not one of the people who want, or expect, every signing to be a £40m world class player, I'm just struggling to see this move as an upgrade for the squad - particularly if he's been assured regular playing time.

I've made my point about doing Milner a disservice, I think he's a better player than Delph, and he couldn't cut it in the centre of our midfield. Centre mid is a much more integral position for a side like ours, at the highest level, than a wide position - a role Milner was very adept at fulfilling.

Fernando, frankly, is shite. He shouldn't be the standard we're holding players against, he shouldn't be anywhere near our first XI.

But of course, in that respect, Delph would be an upgrade. But then so would Aranguiz for example, a much greater upgrade for not much more than it's going to cost us to secure Delph, although of course minus the British passport.

As I said, I recognise the pros to the transfer, the arguments for it, but I'm not sold. Frankly.
Obviously our Manager doesn`t agree with you.Thankfully he has already won a couple of Cups to put my mind at ease.
http://www.britishburnassociation.org/burns-units

Football is (or at least should be) meritocratic. There is a cycle, a food chain, and we are now at the top of it.

If an Italian player has 2 standout seasons in Serie A, Juventus will probably buy them. If a German does in the Bundesliga, more often than not Bayern will historically sign them. The Rags applied that formula to their benefit under Ferguson. It's the best policy to adopt where possible, because there is little chance that the pace/standard of the game in the respective country will effect them.

Without this opportunity, you'll never know how good a player is; Barry and Lescott were understated but crucial elements of our first wave of success. Neither had played for a top club before they joined us, but grabbed the opportunity with both hands, and to a lesser extent, so did Milner. By some of the derogatory logic on here applied to Delph, they'd never have been signed.

How many PL titles would Roy Keane have won if he'd stayed at Forest? Or Carrick at Spurs? Cahill at Bolton? How many Man Of The Match performances against top European opposition would Hart have had if he'd stayed at Birmingham after that sensational loan spell he had there in 09/10? None.

It's impossible to judge whether a player has top-class credentials until they've been given a fair chance to establish themselves at the highest level. Some take it, some don't, but someone like Delph is more worth of a place in the Manchester City squad based on his excellent performances in the Premier League over a sustained period than expensive failed imports like Anderson and Garcia.

This league is a tricky one, especially for a midfielder; the amusing failures of both Di Maria and Veron at Trafford's biggest club are testament to that. Both possessed world-class ability, and had years of elite-level football behind them but just simply couldn't get a grip of the game in the Premier League. There is a real possibility that Pogba would get found out in the same way, as both came with far better pedigree (the Serie A Veron played in was the best league in Europe at the time and infinitely better than the current one in which Pogba has shone, while Di Maria was MOTM in the CL final last year and a star of the World Cup) and if all of our midfield eggs are in that basket we are goosed.

This strange clause in the contract suggests that we have been in some form of contact with Delph since January; if so it's a very shrewd bit of business on the part of the club. Common sense, low risk/cost signing that could prove to be the shrewdest of any in the PL this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.