Fabinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does everyone suddenly think Gundogan is a DM??

Was thinking the same mate....cant wait to see him back fit and playing in the squad next season but really dont see him in a DM role. With Yaya and Fern the only players that can do that role, I still see DM as a long term problem area that needs fixing.

Gundogan is very very capable of playing the DM. Right now the most prototypical Pep-style DM in the world would be Thiago. Watch Thiago's game and then watch Gundogan's. They're not that different - Thiago just does it better but they're similar.

Can we buy Fabinho just to p*ss the rags off even if we dont really want him :) Carvalho has a far superior passing ability imo and not as slow as some on here make out, plus under Pep Carvalho will be leaner, fitter and quicker than he's ever been!!

This is not true at all.
Carvalho Average Pass Lenght is 19m.
Fabinho APL is 19m too, but in a tougher league.
In the Champions League Fabinho APL stays in 19m and Carvalho APL drops to 17m.

As i said in another thread, none of those players are Fernando Redondo, i think City will get a heavy ball possession next season, and in the end i'll trust the player that Pep will pick.

But lets not pretend that the world of football see Carvalho in the same level of Fabinho because is not true.

Go to any major football forum, RagCafe, for example, search for "William Carvalho" and you realize the majority of fans think he's a donkey.

Gundogan is very very capable of playing the DM. Right now the most prototypical Pep-style DM in the world would be Thiago. Watch Thiago's game and then watch Gundogan's. They're not that different - Thiago just does it better but they're similar.
Neither Gundo nor Thiago are capable DM pivots, their strong side is progressing the ball through N8 areas - either from deep or in front of the oppo's box. They both need a DM beside them (Bender, Weigl, Lahm, Alonso).
Gundo never played as a sole DM pivot, at least I'd like to hear in what particular game he did that for BvB (I'm 99,9% sure he never played pivot for City).
Funnily enough, Pep brought Thiago to Bayern to play DM (the first game was vs BvB in the German Supercup), and it was a disaster - Thiago clearly lacks 'strategic' vision, he's a flashy passer most suited for an advanced N8 role ('Iniesta'). Pep soon realised it and moved Thiago further, Lahm took the DM role, later Alonso.

This is not true at all.
Carvalho Average Pass Lenght is 19m.
Fabinho APL is 19m too, but in a tougher league.
In the Champions League Fabinho APL stays in 19m and Carvalho APL drops to 17m.

As i said in another thread, none of those players are Fernando Redondo, i think City will get a heavy ball possession next season, and in the end i'll trust the player that Pep will pick.

But lets not pretend that the world of football see Carvalho in the same level of Fabinho because is not true.

Go to any major football forum, RagCafe, for example, search for "William Carvalho" and you realize the majority of fans think he's a donkey.

A great example of awful use of statistics.

Carvalho is without a doubt a much better passer than Fabinho, anyone who's watched the two of them can tell you that.

What you've looked up is "average pass length" and tried to pass that off as "better passing" which surely you must realise is ridiculous?

Uh, no, Thiago played further forward, he'd sometimes play DM in Pep's first season at Bayern but that was generally due to a lack of options when Lahm didn't play there, as soon as Alonso and later Vidal came in he never played there again. Thiago and Gundogan aren't very similar either, Thiago is more of a pass master Xavi-style midfielder while Gundogan can be more direct, drifts further out of position and is significantly more mobile in his play.

If we don't buy a DM this window I'm sure Yaya will be our first choice in the position, Gundogan might play there a few times because he can do alright there against smaller teams I'm sure, but it's not ideal.

If we only have Fernandinho and Yaya for the pivot role currently then it would be reckless to start the season without another world class option.

All this transfer gossip is great but I feel we really need a top defensive midfielder signing. We need someone of the ilk of Kante DeJong etc and I was hoping it would be this guy Fabinho.
Hopefully he is just chilling on holiday and will just roll up one day out of the blue like the new Silva.

If we only have Fernandinho and Yaya for the pivot role currently then it would be reckless to start the season without another world class option.

It's the likely scenario that we do, though.

We clearly have a target for the position but are unable to get him this window. Extending Yaya for one year smacks of a stop-gap until said target is available.

I'd take a year of Yaya, rotating with Dinho, and their more than adequate production in the role in order to snap up say, Weigl or Kimmich (or even an older option like Busquets) than panic buy a player available now who isn't a perfect fit at big money.

All this transfer gossip is great but I feel we really need a top defensive midfielder signing. We need someone of the ilk of Kante DeJong etc and I was hoping it would be this guy Fabinho.
Hopefully he is just chilling on holiday and will just roll up one day out of the blue like the new Silva.

We aren't in on Fabinho, sadly. Though as is mentioned in this thread, he's more a box-to-box midfielder than a natural DM pivot anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.