Factual Old-school City Myths that are untrue

I'm going to stick my neck out and say no he didn't.

Off the top of my head he was signed in 1987 just before the old style transfer window closed and we'd already played united twice by then. Played a full season (I think) the following season (87/88) when we were in Divsion 2 (so no Derbies) before being sold to Spurs.

No cup games against united in that time (I think) and no testimonials (iirc). Albiston and Duxbury's were after he left (I think!).

Never played for us again (or united at all).

Could be wrong though, mate!

I am with you GDM. Pretty sure he never played. I could have got this wrong but did we not hammer Arsenal at the end of the 86 season 3-0 86/87 season and I think he played.

Yes he played the season we finished 9/10th when the kids were breaking through alongside Imre Varadi. He left in the summer and the money we made bought us the likes of Wayne Biggins, Andy Dibble who helped us again promotion. I always wonder if that season would have finished differently if we had beaten Crystal Palace when we were 1-0 up and Nixon flattened Mark Bright. Probably best for the kids we did not go straight back up.

The Albiston Friendly was August 89 but the Duxbury I think was 87???

I'm sure he did play in one of those testimonials, nearly snapped a rag player in half and the ref told the city manager (Machin?) to sub him before he sent him off

Maybe it was the Duxbury game? Albiston was the 2-0 victory weeks before we lost at Anfield 3-1 on the opening day

Maybe it was the Duxbury game? Albiston was the 2-0 victory weeks before we lost at Anfield 3-1 on the opening day

Think it was the other way round. The Duxbury testimonial was Aug 89 which we won 2-0. The Albiston was May 88 (think we lost). Stewart signed for Spurs in June 88

Think it was the other way round. The Duxbury testimonial was Aug 89 which we won 2-0. The Albiston was May 88 (think we lost). Stewart signed for Spurs in June 88

I have just checked you are correct. Strange I have got that wrong all these years. The memory certainly plays tricks. We did beat QPR in 2012 didn't we?

Remember the Duxbury one well. David Oldfield got one of the goals. Great atmosphere in the scoreboard end that day. God I'd love to take today's team there with that allocation rather than the bit we get now out of the way. It would be fucking dynamite.

So did he play in Albiston's or not? I can't tell :-/

I am with you GDM. Pretty sure he never played. I could have got this wrong but did we not hammer Arsenal at the end of the 86 season 3-0 86/87 season and I think he played.

Yes he played the season we finished 9/10th when the kids were breaking through alongside Imre Varadi. He left in the summer and the money we made bought us the likes of Wayne Biggins, Andy Dibble who helped us again promotion. I always wonder if that season would have finished differently if we had beaten Crystal Palace when we were 1-0 up and Nixon flattened Mark Bright. Probably best for the kids we did not go straight back up.

The Albiston Friendly was August 89 but the Duxbury I think was 87???
We did hammer Arsenal 3-0. I remember Stewart scoring a tap-in to make it 3-0 at the North Stand and him grabbing the net as a celebration. Took my first proper girlfriend to that game. She was an utter lunatic.

I also remember the Palace game well. We were in the back of a great run. The atmosphere was amazing that day, especially when Lake scored. I remember how incensed everyone in the Kippax was about the sending off but it was a stonewall dismissal. Nixon basically forearm smashed Mark Bright. You are right, though - it was far too soon for that group of players to get promoted. They ran out of steam after that game, which was both inevitable and positive. That autumn was one of my favourite periods as a City fan though, including the 10-1 obviously.

What does Nixon say about that incident in his book?
For me he was protecting himself. It was a 60/40 ball in Nixon's favour (and for some reason I always thought it was Wright not Bright) and the opponent kept running and even when it was clear Nixon had the ball Bright / Wright kept running and Nixon protected himself from getting clattered. I thought he simply turned his upper body sideways so the player smacked into his arm. Nixon was deffo being intimidated all game.
I was outside the Main Stand for an hour and a bit waiting for the ref.... was fuming.... there was quite a few of us too!
Coppell came out (the Palace bus had long gone) and I shouted, Coppell, loved you when you played for England and cant believe from your playing days you would coach a team to be thugs (or words to that effect).
The police came and told us the ref had left via a Platt Lane turnstile and was long gone..... bastard.

What does Nixon say about that incident in his book?
For me he was protecting himself. It was a 60/40 ball in Nixon's favour (and for some reason I always thought it was Wright not Bright) and the opponent kept running and even when it was clear Nixon had the ball Bright / Wright kept running and Nixon protected himself from getting clattered. I thought he simply turned his upper body sideways so the player smacked into his arm. Nixon was deffo being intimidated all game.
I was outside the Main Stand for an hour and a bit waiting for the ref.... was fuming.... there was quite a few of us too!
Coppell came out (the Palace bus had long gone) and I shouted, Coppell, loved you when you played for England and cant believe from your playing days you would coach a team to be thugs (or words to that effect).
The police came and told us the ref had left via a Platt Lane turnstile and was long gone..... bastard.
Why didn't he just step out of the way? He had the ball in his hands?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.