Factual Old-school City Myths that are untrue

So the truth about Watson is he did want to go - rather than being sold against his will - albeit that he says Allison was the cause. Did he give any particular reason why he wouldn't work with Allison?

So the truth about Watson is he did want to go - rather than being sold against his will - albeit that he says Allison was the cause. Did he give any particular reason why he wouldn't work with Allison?
It's all in the prog article I did and the other interviews. It's the same story over and over again from that period - older, experienced players not valued; Allison wanted to create his own young team etc. it's all in my books. Sad story really. What would City have achieved? It was a 'he stays, I go' situation, and Swales backed his manager - had Swales been chairman in 2013 maybe Mancini would have stayed, who knows?

It's all in the prog article I did and the other interviews. It's the same story over and over again from that period - older, experienced players not valued; Allison wanted to create his own young team etc. it's all in my books. Sad story really. What would City have achieved? It was a 'he stays, I go' situation, and Swales backed his manager - had Swales been chairman in 2013 maybe Mancini would have stayed, who knows?

Hi Gary - Does one of your books deal with that era in a lot of detail? Which one - I would be interested in getting a copy.

It's a myth, albeit propagated by Reds and not Blues, that Denis Law never kicked another ball in league football after the famous back-heel because he was devastated at United going down.

Actually, he played for Scotland in the World Cup, then played for City in most of our pre-season games. He quit when, a few days before the new campaign, Tony Book decided to sign Asa Hartford and switch to a 4-3-3 system. One of the four senior forwards - Law, Mike Summerbee, Rodney Marsh and Dennis Tueart - was going to have to make way and Book made clear that Law would be the odd man out. Law didn't fancy playing in the reserves and thought that any transfer he got at that stage of his career would probably involve stepping down a division or two, so he decided to retire.

Paul Stewart defiantly played in a Manchester Derby !!!!
I'm going to stick my neck out and say no he didn't.

Off the top of my head he was signed in 1987 just before the old style transfer window closed and we'd already played united twice by then. Played a full season (I think) the following season (87/88) when we were in Divsion 2 (so no Derbies) before being sold to Spurs.

No cup games against united in that time (I think) and no testimonials (iirc). Albiston and Duxbury's were after he left (I think!).

Never played for us again (or united at all).

Could be wrong though, mate!

I'm going to stick my neck out and say no he didn't.

Off the top of my head he was signed in 1987 just before the old style transfer window closed and we'd already played united twice by then. Played a full season (I think) the following season (87/88) when we were in Divsion 2 (so no Derbies) before being sold to Spurs.

No cup games against united in that time (I think) and no testimonials (iirc). Albiston and Duxbury's were after he left (I think!).

Never played for us again (or united at all).

Could be wrong though, mate!

I'm sure he did play in one of those testimonials, nearly snapped a rag player in half and the ref told the city manager (Machin?) to sub him before he sent him off

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.